2nd order crossover for CJD's RS150 MTM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyekode
    • Jun 2008

2nd order crossover for CJD's RS150 MTM?

I have been thinking about building this design sealed for use as satellites in a HT system. I like the value and sealed it comes close to f3 of 80hz with a second order roll-off as per THX spec.

But I was wondering if a 2nd order crossover will work? I don't see many 2nd order MTM's, I assume this has to do with C2C spacing and a 2nd order has more overlap in the crossover region?

Anyway, I was playing in speaker workshop and I came up with the attached network.

Notes on the frequency response:
    1) my FRD data is wonky on the Seas tweater > 13k or so. That is where the roll-off is coming from.
    2) the bass response has ~4db of baffle step.
    3) the amplitude scale is very zoomed in.

And I figure if this crossover fails I can always revert to CJD's well respected design .
    Attached Files
  • eyekode
    • Jun 2008

Arg, crossover is a little old. I have one that uses a little different values on the LC trap that gets the break-up node to be down ~15db. Will this melt my ears ? I wonder if toe'ing the speakers out a little will mostly remove the issue. By 10k I imagine these drivers are really beaming.

Comment

• eyekode
      • Jun 2008

Or if you drop the crossover a little lower you can get ~21 db down for the 10k breakup node.
      Attached Files

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

When you say "2nd order" are you talking the acoustic slope or electrical circuit? It seems the latter, which is (IMHO) a rather silly thing to care about.

Actual acoustic slope of the roll-off is what matters. I doubt what you're proposing is 2nd order.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• eyekode
          • Jun 2008

Yes I meant 2nd order electrical. Part of the motivation is a simpler crossover. And part of the motivation is to try my hand at design .

After staring some more at your crossover and mine it looks like using a third order electrical network on the RS150 gets you > 20db more suppression on the 10k breakup node and doesn't significantly impact the cost or complexity of the crossover. Back to the drawing board

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Getting the steep filters with fewer components also lowers impedance.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"