X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chylld
    • Jun 2008

DC blocking circuit & transformer hum

sorry to dig up such an old thread! but i have transformer hum and am planning to implement the dc blocker tonight. i intend to use 4 1n4004 (1a 400v) diodes and 4 2200uF 16v electrolytic caps in a similar manner to this, however i will parallel 2 caps to get 4400uF on each half (since i couldn't find the 3300/4700uF sizes) and i will be using 2 diodes in series in place of each one on the original diagram.

questions:
    1) is this safe?
    2) is there a better option to fix transformer hum? my humming problem has been narrowed down to the proximity between the transformer (toroidal type btw) and my amp circuit boards.

tia
    Last edited by ThomasW; 20 June 2008, 10:36 Friday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This was split from this thread...

Posts #49-63 discuss the blocking circuit

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

So just as a quick noobie's question: Did you run the transformer only in front of the circuit heading to your theater, or in front of the whole panel?
      -Chuck

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by impala454
        So just as a quick noobie's question: Did you run the transformer only in front of the circuit heading to your theater, or in front of the whole panel?
        I'm not positive but it appears his questions relate not to balanced power but instead to a power amp that has problems with the power supply tranny humming.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Is the transformer itself humming, or are you getting a hum in your audio signal?

If it's the former, no circuit will fix that, you'll have to physically isolate the transformer from the chassis, or replace the transformer with a quieter one.

If you're getting a hum in your signal, that could be from a number of causes. A ground loop, poor filtering in the power supply, or even a video signal "leaking" into the audio.

Comment

• rc white
            • Nov 2007

If you want to fix the growl caused by toroidal transformers connected to mains having a d.c. level, this is a better article to look at..

If you have hum being coupled into the circuit this will have no effect since it only deals with mechanical buzz due to core saturation.
            rcw

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"