X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

New Seas L16s

Madisound has the new Seas L16 in stock that give new tuning options for the Lineup MaxxL16 tower and CC. If anyone is interested in this you can post here. At some point I'll investigate to see if any crossover changes are needed. The only problem is these woofers are getting more and more expensive. That's why I'm looking into a custom built 5.5" woofer that will have a paper/bambo cone, 6mm xmax, vented voice coil, copper in the motor, and cost of less than $40. That won't be happening for a couple months but in the mean time these new L16s look pretty good for 8-10L boxes.

Jed
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Custom drivers? Who's building?

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Tell us more Jed...
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• norcad
        • Jun 2008

First I thought that it isnt the drivers who are getting more expensive, but the USD isnt worth that much for the time beeing.

Then I checked Madisound, and I must say you dont have any reason to complain!

Seas is made in Norway, I live in Norway. As an example; CA15RLY costs 66USD at Madisound, here in Norway the same driver costs 636.-NOK......
        Thats 122USD !

The true story is this: Seas make them in Norway and send them to US. I can by them at Madisound and have them shipped back to Norway, and still I save a "lot" of money!? 8O

It do make sense, doesnt it!

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
          Custom drivers? Who's building?
          I can't give away all my secrets can I? 8)

Basically I got tired of looking for a driver to replace the W5 876SD that have a cast frame, low distortion motor, plenty of Xmax, and will work in a ported 7-10 L with a price in the Dayton range of drivers. So, I found a company that will build it for me overseas. Only thing is I have to buy a bunch of them as OEM samples. So, when they come in (end of August or September) I'll probably do a group buy of some sort to recoup the costs of importing them. Once I have some concrete numbers about my custom driver I'll probably post the info on my website.

My plan is to make another Lineup Maxx because I love that speaker and I think a lot of people would benefit from a having another option. I just sold a pair to my friend and he is finishing up the veneer work this week. I'll miss those speakers but it is time to make them even better- and if I can do it with a driver comparable to the L16s at half the cost even better.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by norcad
            First I thought that it isnt the drivers who are getting more expensive, but the USD isnt worth that much for the time beeing.

Then I checked Madisound, and I must say you dont have any reason to complain!

Seas is made in Norway, I live in Norway. As an example; CA15RLY costs 66USD at Madisound, here in Norway the same driver costs 636.-NOK......
            Thats 122USD !

The true story is this: Seas make them in Norway and send them to US. I can by them at Madisound and have them shipped back to Norway, and still I save a "lot" of money!? 8O

It do make sense, doesnt it!
            From what I understand everything is expensive in Norway?

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

If you're redesigning the Max, you might be interested in this new full range W4. Tang Band seems to be bringing a lot of new drivers out lately. Don't know about distortion but it supposed to have very good off axis response. And, it's flat!

You could make a line source Max too (MMMMWWWW) .... well I may do that some day.

Edit: I guess for those that want to upgrade their Max, different mids would be a bad idea.
              Last edited by Johnloudb; 20 June 2008, 17:12 Friday.
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I may have to get in on that group buy if they turn out real nice! Are you going to get like a sample first so you can make sure its up to standards? If we can get a 5.5" woofer that will play real low and as clean as the L16 I'd be all over it

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I was wondering also why you decided bamboo? Why not carbon fiber or aluminum or something? Was that just the cheapest option?

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

I was wondering also why you decided bamboo? Why not carbon fiber or aluminum or something? Was that just the cheapest option?

I want something versatile that isn't already on the market and doesn't have to be used just as a woofer up to 400hz.

Seas L16- (AL) has a pretty big cone breakup that limits it to special applications as a 2 way with a low crossover point (or woofer of course).

Hivi D5.8- nice driver (poly) but I think I can do better with a lower distortion motor and the Fr looks pretty ragged.

Seas CA15 - (paper) dip at 1.5k, average motor, expensive

Dayton - well we all know the value of these (AL) drivers

Comment

• Jonasz
                      • Nov 2004

Seas is made in Norway, I live in Norway. As an example; CA15RLY costs 66USD at Madisound, here in Norway the same driver costs 636.-NOK...... Thats 122USD !
                      Here in Sweden the same driver costs 585 SEK wich corresponds to US $98. I guess you can order the drivers from Sweden and still get away cheaper than buying them in your own back yard... :E

And Jed, everything really IS ridiculously expensive in Norway just like in the rest of Scandinavia. Here in Sweden gas is almost at 9$ per gallon as we speak... :evil:

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

I may have to get in on that group buy if they turn out real nice! Are you going to get like a sample first so you can make sure its up to standards? If we can get a 5.5" woofer that will play real low and as clean as the L16 I'd be all over it

Yeah, I'm getting a couple samples to try out, first. Even though it is expensive to ship just a few, I'd hate to have a batch of 50-100 crappy woofers. :B

Comment

• JJones
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Jed
                          ...Basically I got tired of looking for a driver to replace the W5 876SD that have a cast frame, low distortion motor, plenty of Xmax, and will work in a ported 7-10 L with a price in the Dayton range of drivers...
                          "Replace"? is that more because the W5 876 is not very good and you want something better, or, because you're worried about availability?

I got a few of them (W5 876) years ago thinking to use them one pair per speaker on the front of a narrow cabinet as kind of "bass bins" but up to about 200 Hz with the main purpose being to prevent a floor bounce cancellation that was bothering me (in an otherwise excellent design which had the woofer mounted on top of the cabinet).

Over the years I have found it very frustrating to try to find good inexpensive drivers only to see that 90% of the time they soon become unavailalble within a year or two.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Well the W5's are good thats not the reason. Especially for the money they are very good. But they have a stamped frame which is a bit annoying and they could be better But that doesn't mean they are bad by anymeans. Also these new drivers are not replacing the W5's its a cheaper alternative to the L16's.

Comment

• StewLG
                              • Apr 2008

Watch out for great samples, bad bulk

Originally posted by Jed
                              Yeah, I'm getting a couple samples to try out, first. Even though it is expensive to ship just a few, I'd hate to have a batch of 50-100 crappy woofers. :B
                              Jed, I've not contracted with Asia to manufacture anything, but from what I've read one of the classic issues with manufacturing in China is that the samples are great, but the actual bulk shipment is of lower quality/inferior components/etc. I've read dozens of stories about this.

Perhaps others with actual experience can chime in with suggestions (or correct me if I'm wrong.)

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Hmm hope thats not the case with these. I've seen some other people get some drivers made in China I believe. DIYMA had their 12" subs made somewhere.... I wonder if it was in China but they were very high quality.

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JJones
                                  "Replace"? is that more because the W5 876 is not very good and you want something better, or, because you're worried about availability?

:
                                  Looks like they are going to be available for some time, but I want something with copper in the motor to reduce distortion and a cast frame at the same price point. It can be done.

Comment

• Jed
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by StewLG
                                    Jed, I've not contracted with Asia to manufacture anything, but from what I've read one of the classic issues with manufacturing in China is that the samples are great, but the actual bulk shipment is of lower quality/inferior components/etc. I've read dozens of stories about this.

Perhaps others with actual experience can chime in with suggestions (or correct me if I'm wrong.)
                                    Yeah, I guess anything is possible with this new venture. Usher, TB, Dayton, Vifa, Peerless, etc etc... guess where they are now manufactured.... Asia.

My favorite company is probably Seas. Excellent quality control.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"