X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

PE curved cabinets concerns

Hi all. I was doing some researching last night about the PE curved cabinets to see if anyone thinks they have a bit of resonance (I do) and what they did about. I came across a post by a guy who makes diy speaker kits and he said he measured the .38cf box to be .314 and the .5cf box to be .376 and speculated that the .75cf MTM box would .585 based on those other two. I've read Kevin H mention that the .5cf was smaller than expected for the Exodus speaker.

So I did my own measurements. I just used simple geometry to split the box up into a rectangle and some triangles and figured the volumes. I came up with .38cf = .381cf (10.8L), .5cf = .463cf (13.1L), and the 1.0cf MTM = 1.05cf (29.7L). So it seems the .5cf is a little small, although the others are fine. I was pretty happy to see this since the above quoted numbers are very far off and would drastically affect the sound if a person didn't know. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with these curved boxes and wouldn't mind measuring yours to recheck my work? Hopefully this will be usefull info for anyone planning on using these cabinets.

Also does anyone know of a cabinet treatment to reduce wall resonances? For regular resonances I've been using soundbarrier, but that stuff is pretty spendy and shipping is making me rethink what I use. Anyone think using some 1/2" carpet pad and doubling up the thickness with 3M 90 spray would be a viable alternative? Maybe use the cheap asphalt sheet first for the wall resonance and then the carpet pad over that for the other resonances?
    Last edited by augerpro; 17 June 2008, 22:49 Tuesday.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • rc white
    • Nov 2007

In this ESP article i look at several AES papers on the subject of enclosures..

These show that the most effective way to reduce resonance is to move it to higher frequencies by means of very stiff cabinet bracing reducing the effective panel size, this also greatly increases the stiffness of each panel leading to a reduction in vibration amplitude.
    All that damping does is to broadband resonance, and not prevent, it because it does not increase stiffness.
    The the key is making the box very stiff, in this context the best material is carbon fiber honeycomb, but thats a bit expensive, three quarter inch boiler plate is also good but thats a bit heavy.
    rcw

Comment

• JJones
      • Jun 2008

You want to reduce cabinet wall resonances? (You're not asking about reducing internal standing waves, I mean?)

When you brace, break up the wall into different size sections by not putting the brace exactly in the center.

Use something like strips of wood cut along the grain, not strips of MDF or other such material.

Two layers of "roof repair tape" is going to be WAY more effective than carpet pad.

But, I agree "reducing panel size by bracing" is key.

Comment

• dlneubec
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Brandon,

Here is a crazy idea. :?? I would be a lot of work, but a cool looking and probably pretty effective treatment might be to add some contrasting hardwood elements or panels to the outside of the boxes. One might do a translam or translam effect of 3/4" hardwood stacked up the side. You could use the side of the box to trace the shape to make a pattern piece for each side. You would have to cut the pieces of harwood out of wider stock to accomplish the curve. It could be a monolithic panel or they could be stacked with a small gaps between.
        Dan N.

Comment

• dawaro
          • Feb 2005

Someone on another forum measured the enclosues by using sand IIRC.
          They measured the .38 cubic feet cabinet at .314 cubic feet and the .5 cubic feet cabinet at .376 cubic feet.

As I understand they brought this to the attention of PE but I am not sure if the information is going to be updated or not. One interesting note is that in future shipments the internal brace is going to be screwed in rather than glued. This would allow you to remove it and install more effective bracing.

I am not sure the exact name of it but there is a material you can buy at roofing supply stores that is an asphalt based material with adhesive on one side. It is made for areas with high rain/snow fall as an alternative to felt. When I was in the car audio industry we used it as an alternative to dynamat and it worked well. You might try looking around in your area. I would think any mass material like that would do what you are looking for.
          I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

rcw&jjones> Thanks for the article rc. Bracing would be my first choice too, but the curved panels make that a bit of trick, that's why I was looking for an alternative. Even it involved only broadbanding and dispersing the resonance instead of actually pushing it above the woofer's pass band.

Dan>sounds interesting. Not sure my woodworking skills are up for that but I'll boucne soem ideas around and see what I can do. Thanks.

David>I think we read the same forum post then. Thing is my own calculation doesn't really agree, except the .5cf box being a tad on the small side. So I'm wondering if anyone else has done measurements on these. PE does have those asphalt sheets too, but hardware store would be cheaper I think. I'll see what HD and Lowe's has. I know there can be a concern with the vapor off these affecting the glue on some drivers, although the ones I've bought from PE didn't seem to really smell much, implying that it's probably not giving off much VOC's.
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The generic PE bituminous material doesn't off-gas enough to damage drivers. The killer for this stuff is it's heavy, so I buy it when PE has their free shipping offers.

I haven't used any of the new curved sided boxes. In the older straight sided boxes, the crossover boards were usually so densely packed they damped the sidewalls of the enclosure.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jeff_free69
                • Dec 2007

I suspect they have to be a little smaller, since they have pretty much the same external dimensions as the non-curved, except for the back of course. But in person you can see the curve is very gentle so it's not as bad as you might fear . I should be finishing my RS150 system in the .25 curved this week, but its sealed so there's no port tweaks needed and I'm using a sub ...otherwise I'd be concerned.

I love the look of the piano black! . If it turns out to sound really thin, I may do something crazy like buy another pair and stack them into siamese twins by cutting holes in the adjoining top/bottom. That would give me double volume and make it taller without making it too deep like the .5 cab is for my HT.

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

I am not sure the exact name of it but there is a material you can buy at roofing supply stores that is an asphalt based material with adhesive on one side.
                  The most common in the US is Ice and Water Shield. A whole roll of it is pretty $pendy but you could probably get some scraps from a roofing contractor pretty cheap.

Comment

• dawaro
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                    The most common in the US is Ice and Water Shield. A whole roll of it is pretty $pendy but you could probably get some scraps from a roofing contractor pretty cheap.

http://www.graceathome.com/pages/roofingprod.htm
                    That is exactly it. Thanks Dennis.
                    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• collo
                      • Nov 2005

Here's a tip for finding cabinet volume.

Put a plastic garbage bag (or several if bracing requires it)into the cabinet and weigh.

Fill the bags with water and weigh again.

Each kg of water (2.2 lb) is one litre.
                      Ports rule ...

Comment

• augerpro
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H

http://www.graceathome.com/pages/roofingprod.htm
                        I'll check that out Dennis, thanks!
                        ~Brandon 8O
                        DriverVault
                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• joetama
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by collo
                          Here's a tip for finding cabinet volume.

Put a plastic garbage bag (or several if bracing requires it)into the cabinet and weigh.

Fill the bags with water and weigh again.

Each kg of water (2.2 lb) is one litre.
                          Interesting idea there.

The only problem would be if your garbage bag leaked... I know most of mine do... Which is why I don't throw half full beer cans in them anymore. :roll:
                          -Joe

Comment

• benchtester
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                            Interesting idea there.

The only problem would be if your garbage bag leaked... I know most of mine do... Which is why I don't throw half full beer cans in them anymore. :roll:
                            I never have this problem. My house rules are whoever opens a can of beer has to finish it. (No one seems to mind.) :rofl:

Comment

• Martyn
                              • Feb 2006

I built two pairs of speakers (cherry and maple) over last Christmas using the 0.38 cu. ft. curved boxes. Yes, they do audibly resonate. I tried various solutions including adding stiffeners, bituminous felt, and constrained layer damping. Only the latter had any significant effect. The problem with adding bracing is that the boxes are laminated from mediocre quality MDF that won't hold a screw, and the interior is too cramped to be able to work in comfortably.

My solution was to apply patches of self-adhesive mass-loaded vinyl (of the sort used to damp car body panels) and then to bond pieces of light gauge aluminum sheet of the same sizes on top of the vinyl. I haven't yet measured the result and thus can't quantify the improvement, but it is significant and worth doing. If I were to do it again, I'd cut out the middle of the centre brace to allow better access.

The finished result is very good aesthetically, it's just a shame that they suffer somewhat from the made-in-China syndrome.

Comment

• joetama
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by benchtester
                                I never have this problem. My house rules are whoever opens a can of beer has to finish it. (No one seems to mind.) :rofl:

Good idea...
                                -Joe

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by augerpro
                                  rcw&jjones> Thanks for the article rc. Bracing would be my first choice too, but the curved panels make that a bit of trick, that's why I was looking for an alternative. Even it involved only broadbanding and dispersing the resonance instead of actually pushing it above the woofer's pass band..
                                  Might consider laminating the inside with fiberglass resin and several layer of fiberglass cloth. That should make the cabinet pretty stiff...

If you're of a mind this would be a good time to mold in flat mounting pads for the crossovers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jdybnis
                                    • Dec 2004

That sounds like a good first project for working with fiberglass and resin. Anybody have a link to a tutorial online?
                                    -Josh

Comment

• JJones
                                      • Jun 2008

The roof repair tape with the Aluminum backing really does make a big difference if you use two layers. To get it to stick very well here's the secret trick: brush on a layer of contact cement and let it dry, then the roofing repair tape bonds extremely well, far better than on raw wood.

Also, an easy way to attach braces is with good hot melt glue. Not all hot melt glues are the same, I'm sorry I don't recall which ones are best.

When using cross-braces made of solid wood, does anyone know if hardwoods provide any significant improvement over pine?

As a test once I built two speakers with the same internal volume, but one with 1/2" walls and one with 3/4" walls (both Baltic Birch plywood). Surprisingly?, the one with thicker walls had worse resonance problems. The somewhat extensive bracing and damping I was using seemed to be more effective on the cabinet with thinner walls.

Comment

• DaytonAudio
                                        • Jun 2008

Internal Volume of Dayton Audio Cabinets

Originally posted by dawaro
                                        ...SNIPPET "As I understand they brought this to the attention of PE but I am not sure if the information is going to be updated or not...."
                                        Information regarding the internal volume measurements was passed along to the product engineers here at Dayton Audio and we discussed things this morning. At the bottom of this post you'll find the actual manufactured internal volumes of both the traditional and curve cabinet designs.

Additional comments follow:

All cabinets are slightly larger than advertised with the exception of .5 ft³ cabinets which are .494 ft³ for the traditional and .477 ft ³ for the curved sided. The traditional is 1.2% undersized and the curved sided is 4.6% undersized. Although the .5 ft³ curved sided is undersized (slightly) it is certainly in the ballpark and would not change any aspect (f3, Qtc etc.) of a box/speaker combination, therefore we feel it isn't necessary to change how we advertise them.

Due to the shape of the curved sided cabinets it is almost impossible to measure within ± 5% using a ruler. Accurate measurement would require geometry and or calculus, another method would be to fill the enclosure with some material (small beads, popcorn, sand, water), empty the contents into a basic shape enclosure and measure the amount

Finally, we are working on getting all Dayton cabinet drawings up on the website. The drawings indicate the box volume so this may help, but even with the detailed drawings it is difficult to derive internal volume of the curved sided cabinet.

Feel free to pass comments, suggestions, or questions directly to us here at Dayton Audio. My email address is: richtATSIGNdaytonaudio.com

As always, we thank you for your patronage! :T :T

Rich Taylor
                                        Brand Manager
                                        Dayton Audio

MANUFACTURED DAYTON CABINET INTERNAL VOLUME

TRADITIONAL ft³

0.25 TWO-WAY 0.281
                                        0.38 TWO-WAY 0.387
                                        0.5 TWO-WAY 0.494
                                        0.75 TWO-WAY 0.780
                                        0.75 MTM 0.763
                                        1.0 MTM 0.999
                                        1.0 SUB 1.084
                                        2.0 SUB 2.084
                                        3.0 SUB 3.122

CURVED
                                        0.25 TWO-WAY 0.283
                                        0.38 TWO-WAY 0.392
                                        0.5 TWO-WAY 0.477
                                        0.75 TWO-WAY 0.788
                                        0.75 MTM 0.763
                                        1.0 MTM 1.010

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Thanks for clarifying that Rich... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• augerpro
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2006

Indeed, thank you Rich!
                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                            DriverVault
                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• kevinp.
                                              • Apr 2008

color me skeptical. I'd like to see some real third party measurements.

Comment

• joecarrow
                                                • Apr 2005

I thought it was a helpful response- and I'm glad that someone is paying attention and speaking to the community. If your speaker design is terribly sensitive to enclosure volume, then why trust anybody's measurements but your own?
                                                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• jkrutke
                                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dawaro
                                                  Someone on another forum measured the enclosues by using sand IIRC.
                                                  They measured the .38 cubic feet cabinet at .314 cubic feet and the .5 cubic feet cabinet at .376 cubic feet.
                                                  I've measured all of the standard rectangular cabinets except the .75 cu ft models. All of them are close enough to be in the ballpark for which they are advertised. If someone measured the .5 cu ft model at .37, they did something very wrong. The "sand" method doesn't sound very trustworthy.

I modeled these on cad, using actual dimensions, and properly subtracted out gusseting. I even subtracted out the corner angle gussets and added back in the holes on the shelf gusset. My own numbers are within 1 cubic inch accuracy. That said, it's generally stupid to go after than kind of accuracy, I just do it because I'm a little obsessive. Trust PE's sizes. It's not like anyone's tuning predictions would be right on even if they had the exact cabinet and port sizes.
                                                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• augerpro
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by kevinp.
                                                    color me skeptical. I'd like to see some real third party measurements.
                                                    I am a third party :

Although my measurements were roughly close, I did not use a CAD or any volume filling method. Rich's posted numbers seem pretty reasonable.
                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                    DriverVault
                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• kevinp.
                                                      • Apr 2008

ok, if you guys say so I'll beleive you; I just have a hard time understanding how a curved box that comes to a point 4 inches narrower on the longest dimension measures almost exactly the same as the straight one which is only .5 inches deeper.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2006

kevin I believe the depth listed is incorrect for the curved boxes as most are the same as the square ones. Don't quote me on that since I haven't measured that dimension yet, but I believe that is the case.
                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                        DriverVault
                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                                          • Jul 2006

I have both the standard .5 cubic foot and curved back .5 loaded with the same design (sealed box). I'll run nearfield curves to see how they compare.

Comment

• jmb
                                                            • Feb 2006

The curved cabs are actually 1.5" deeper.
                                                            12.5" for the rectangular, 14" for the curved.
                                                            "I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail......than attempt to do nothing and succeed."

Comment

• Landspeeder
                                                              • Feb 2008

I'll upload a picture very soon, but if you have a router you can very quickly make 2 Aluminum braces (or plywood?) and either polish them (or stain them). They will wrap around the outside of the box (top/back/bottom) with an agressive curve that compliments the box. They will also have a hole drilled for a treaded rod to extend through the box to basically 'clamp' this bad boy down. If you wanted to, you could also use automotive adhesive to bond the entire brace to the box for a very perpement attacment.
                                                              My Builds: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...731#post593731

Comment

• kevinp.
                                                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jmb
                                                                The curved cabs are actually 1.5" deeper.
                                                                12.5" for the rectangular, 14" for the curved.
                                                                well that makes more sense then

Comment

• jmb
                                                                  • Feb 2006

Posted at Tech Talk

"Update

Well the resonace issues proved to be non-issues. A little Dynamat
                                                                  on the side walls was more than adequate.

This issue involves mounting the baffles permanatley.
                                                                  It may just be the 2 cabs I have, but when I was gluing the baffles on this weekend, using a two part epoxy, I noticed that there was no squeeze out.
                                                                  This baffled me because I was pretty liberal with the epoxy, and expected some excess after tightening the screws. I did a little investigation with the second cabinet and found the baffle recess to be at least a 1/8" deeper than the edge of the baffle that should make contact
                                                                  What is the baffle suppose to "grab" onto?
                                                                  Are the screws and a little weather stripping suppose to do the job?

Beware
                                                                  Before gluing, measure the recess and baffle edge and make sure that these two parts will actually meet and make contact."
                                                                  Attached Files
                                                                  "I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail......than attempt to do nothing and succeed."

Comment

• Martyn
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2006

With my cabinets, mass-loaded vinyl alone wasn't sufficient (and I tried adding a few other materials as well) - it wasn't until I added a constraining layer that I saw the big difference.

On the subject of the fit of the baffles, both of my pairs have a slight taper on all four sides of the rabbets. Thus they are not intended to bottom out in order to seal - the seal is made by the taper. Nonetheless, I found some differences in construction between my two pairs, so yours might be different.

Edit: Incidentally, don't torque down those socket caps too much or the baffle will deflect. Just pull them down evenly and let the taper do its job.

Comment

• Landspeeder
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2008

This probably no longer applies... but:

quickly make 2 Aluminum braces (or plywood?) and either polish them (or stain them). They will wrap around the outside of the box (top/back/bottom) with an aggressive curve that compliments the box. They will also have a hole drilled for a treaded rod to extend through the box to basically 'clamp' this bad boy down. If you wanted to, you could also use automotive adhesive to bond the entire brace to the PE curved box for a very permanent attachment.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Wow I like that a lot actually! Problem is getting those made in aluminum at an affordable price Probably would be at least 100 bucks.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2006
                                                                          • 1867

Looks cool landspeeder! Great way to use the curved cabinets for a center channel. Hmmm, I can just see using chrome braces on a bright red cabinet for futuristic Jetsons' look
                                                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                                                          DriverVault
                                                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16073

Or the piano gloss black cabinet.

Comment

• Landspeeder
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2008
                                                                              • 273

#39
                                                                              mmm... That could be very sexy...
                                                                              oops on the aluminum price
                                                                              .75" Aluminum Plate 6061 T6 is $150/square foot
                                                                              Well... 1" ply would work... spend some time on prep and paint... and it could look nearly as good as polished aluminum

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 16073

#40
                                                                                Nah it would have to be aluminum

Comment

• Landspeeder
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2008
                                                                                  • 273

#41
                                                                                  Or.... you could first wrap the PE case in a couple of sheets of Carbon Fiber... a ton of resin, sand it down and clear coat it.... then Aluminum braces and endcaps.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"