X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mayhem13
    • May 2008

RS180 MTM wt Waveguide

I picked up four of the RS180s while on sale to work on over this winter but impatience has bitten me. I'm considering an MTM using the MCM waveguides and the Seas 27TDFC. Any thoughts on the crossover? I'm planning ported and tuned to 45Hz floorstanding and for the baffle, i'm going to reduce driver spacing by overlapping the Waveguide with the woofers by first mounting the guide and then routing the baffle for the woofers, the flange of the RS180 overlapping by about .25" as not to disturb the profile of the guide.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nope not a good idea....

The reason Zaph makes a 2.5 way with his waveguide design, is a function of the woofer center-to-center spacing of a MTM with a waveguide being problematic

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mudjock
      • Sep 2005

SP Tech does the waveguide MTM, but they claim a crossover point of 700 Hz (LR-4 acoustic slope). Something like that might be a good application for the RS-180, but I'm not sure how low you could reasonably take the 27 TDFC in an MCM waveguide.

Zaph's design really didn't test this, since his crossover point was over 2 kHz. Given that crossover frequency, Thomas is right that the center-to-center spacing issue effectively eliminates an MTM layout from consideration for that design.
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• JJones
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Nope not a good idea....

The reason Zaph makes a 2.5 way with his waveguide design, is a function of the woofer center-to-center spacing of a MTM with a waveguide being problematic
        What if you put a capacitor in parallel with one of the woofers, "2.5 MTM"?
        I guess it should be called WTM instead then?

Of course, I don't see much point to doing it that way (instead of putting both woofers below the tweeter), but you could?

If you combined the routed overlap with a smaller waveguide, such as the DXT, then you wouldn't have to roll off the 2nd woofer quite so high...

Comment

• mayhem13
          • May 2008

Is there a problem with a 2.5 MTM ??

Comment

• owdi
            • Feb 2008

How about angling the mids in so their cone becomes part of the waveguide? Just a thought...

Dan

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by mayhem13
              Is there a problem with a 2.5 MTM ??
              Depends what frequencies will be covered by both woofers. Typically you want drivers that share frequencies to be close to each other, which is why most 2.5 ways are TMM.
              ~Brandon 8O
              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• Mudjock
                • Sep 2005

An RS180 MTM 2.5 way has been tried by Roman Bednarek. He also does a pretty comprehensive review of the various RS180 MTM variants currently out there. I think you would find it interesting. Roman seems to like the 2.5 way variant, but your center-to-center spacing would be a lot higher and you would obviously need a completely different crossover due to that and the different tweeter, waveguide, etc.... From what I can tell, if you are willing to put some work into the crossover, the approach has good potential.

RS180 MTM Crossover Comparison
                Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• mayhem13
                  • May 2008

Most MTMs using the RS180s have a center to center spacing of between 12 and 12.5 inches. By overlaying each woofer onto the guide by .25 inches, on center i'll have 13" on center and if i move the guide of center by .5 inches, i can reduce the center to center spacing to 12.5 inches. Is this really too much, especially considering the off axis response of the tweeter in the guide ??

Comment

• eyekode
                    • Jun 2008

I like the basic idea a lot. Especially if you could reduce the complexity of the crossover due to the recessed tweeter.

I was thinking of something like: Seas 27TDFC + waveguide + 2x Tang Band W6-1721. Speaking of which I haven't seen any DIY designs with this woofer yet...

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

Another thing to consider is that with a TMM it's easier to place the tweeter at or just above ear height. But really, there is no *major* reason why you can't do an MTM 2.5. Is there some reason why MTM is so important to you?
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• mayhem13
                        • May 2008

Yeah-same here. Zaph has a single cap on his Seas in the TMM waveguide design. I'll have to rework the RS180's quite a bit. Have the waveguides and 180s, no Seas tweeters yet. I think i'll work some baffle designs this weekend and see just how close i can actually get the center to center spacing without interfering with the guide profile. Might be able to modify the RS180 flange a little as well.

Comment

• Jed
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by eyekode
                          I like the basic idea a lot. Especially if you could reduce the complexity of the crossover due to the recessed tweeter.

I was thinking of something like: Seas 27TDFC + waveguide + 2x Tang Band W6-1721. Speaking of which I haven't seen any DIY designs with this woofer yet...
                          I'm sure someone will test those eventually. Just the woofers aren't in stock till mid July. By the way welcome to the forum!

Comment

• augerpro
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2006

Well if you do go with 2.5 then don't try to cram the woofers too close by cutting into the waveguide. You don't want an edge causing diffraction just to gain a 1/4"
                            ~Brandon 8O
                            DriverVault
                            Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"