New theater build. In-walls or boxed speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

New theater build. In-walls or boxed speakers?

I'm finalizing the drawings for my finished basement which will have a dedicated theater room that's 12w x 16d x 7.5h. I'll be using a DLP projector on a ~ 100" screen which will leave roughly 25" on each side of the screen (after border) for speakers. Since space is limited and I would like to have a clean install I am considering building in-wall speakers. My question is, what compromises am I facing going with in-walls as far as SQ is concerned? Since I'm building the walls I can incorporate the necessary framing for these so they'll be in their optimal location. Another potential plus is behind the front wall will be a large, unfinished basement portion where all of the appliances and utilities will be. I will be able to make the in-walls IB speakers if I so desire due to this. This will be the "enclosure" for the IB subs as well. I'm going to use two RS390HFs per manifold under/behind each front speaker (not center). One last positive I can see with in-walls is decreased distortion as they won't require the BSC a conventional speaker would.

Any input is greatly appreciated
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Personally when I build a theater I want inwalls. I guess its all about preference though. I've heard people say that in walls sound better? Maybe its because there isn't any baffle step worked into the crossover.

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Yeah, I could see the lack of a BSC filter as a positive. However, I'm not sure how much "smearing" would occur due to being mounted in a wall.

Anyone else? Please? :B

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

I haven't seen Chris (cjd) update his thread in a while but maybe you could get some practical lessons from it. Last I remember he was trying to get rid of a nasal or horn like sound, not sure if it caused by being an inwall design or jsut those particular drivers (Dayton Ref) inwall.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I'm 99% sure the problem is one of two things: bad source measurements, or reflection issues between the drivers, screen, and screen frame. My next guess is internal box reflection issues in the mid enclosures.

I have simply not taken the time to dig in further at this point, partly because it is my intent to take more time when I have surrounds built but not crossed to re-measure the fronts and do a little more work there.

My recommendation remains a false front wall 2-3 feet from the actual front wall, and an acoustically transparent screen. In fact the whole false wall should be acoustically transparent - use black GOM or even grill-cloth. Give yourself 6-8 inches between the screen and the front of your speakers. You can then do some fairly heavy acoustic treatments behind this without worrying how it looks and even possibly fit traditional box or tube subs behind.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"