Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

New design - A Seas all metal 3-way

Below is a design in progress for a Seas all metal monopole 3 way implemented via a passive crossover. Feedback welcome.

Drivers
    Tweeter – Seas 27TBFC/G
    Midrange – Seas L15
    Bass – Seas L26

Enclosure
    The goals of the enclosure shape are (in no particular order):
    1. Provide listening on (or possibly slightly below) tweeter axis
    2. Provide front mounting of all drivers to suit the intended crossover points
    3. Minimise baffle width for mid range and tweeter to provide best imaging (I’m not convinced of this benefit)
    4. Minimise the visual footprint from the front, whilst still being wide enough to accommodate the L26
    5. Provide non-parallel sides to reduce standing waves
    6. Smooth diffraction ripple for midrange / tweeter given no rounder will be used on the final enclosure (for veneering ease)
    7. Provide something interesting / different to look at

All drivers will be flush mounted. No roundover will be done on the final enclosure as this will make veneering difficult due to the non-parallel baffle edges.

The enclosure is modelled using ¾” (18mm) thick material (including braces) with a 1.5” (36mm) thick baffle. I intend to build using MDF. Also attached is a cutlist to try and minimise fence settings for the old table saw. I estimate approx 3.5 sheets of 8’ x 4’ (2400mm x 1200mm) MDF will be needed. (I’m too scared to cost the veneer I need!) Braces in the woofer enclosure are placed using approximate golden ratio distances to break up panel sizes to spread resonances. Damping material will probably comprise foam on the walls with Dacron stuffing. Dacron will be used over fibreglass since I want to minimise any fibres from coming free and finding their way into the open voice coil assemblies of the L15 and L26.

Midrange tuning
    I decided to go for a very large sealed enclosure (approx 25L) for the L15. Reason being, I am hoping the depth of the enclosure (20.5” or 522mm) suitably stuffed will absorb plenty of backwave. The larger enclosure should reduce the box pressure therefore reduce the resistive / restoring force on the cone.

Bass tuning
    The L26 seems usable in either sealed or vented enclosures. A 0.7 Qtc is achieved in a 47L sealed box or flat 90L vented alignment with a 30Hz Fb. A 4” diameter port, 4” long will reach the desired tuning. The 90L vented box will give a flat response and does not allow for room gain. A lower tuning via longer port may be required to cater for room gain. I don’t want to increase enclosure size as 90L enclosures are big enough.

I’m leaning toward the vented enclosure purely to minimise excursion since the L26 has 7mm of xmax and I want to run these full range with normal music. For low frequency effects (ie. the odd movie), I will use a sub and probably apply a 30Hz line level 2nd or 3rd order high pass full time to protect the L26. For aesthetics, I intend to mount the port at the back as shown.

Crossover simulation
    The crossover below targets 4th order acoustic LR slopes at 240Hz and 1760Hz. The average sensitivity will be approximately 85dB. Impedance minimum is 3.3 ohms at 85Hz.

The below simulations were done using SpeakerWorkshop based on factory amplitude and impedance curves. The curves were imported into the FRD tools and had the box and baffle effects added in. I used the HBT transform in the FRC spreadsheet to extract minimum phase. The following driver offsets were used to approximate the acoustic centre offset placing the mic at a 1m position:
    27TBFC/G = 0”
    L15 = -1.1”
    L26 = -7.7”

A deficiency with the above method is that the FR curves are on-axis measurements. SpeakerWorkshop cannot simulate vertical off-axis power response due to beaming for the L15 and L26 drivers (nor did I try and apply this before importing the data into SW). I’m hoping the lower crossover points for the L15 and L26 will reduce simulation inaccuracies. After all, it is just a simulation.

Listening room
    My lounge is 18’ x 24’ with a cathedral ceiling going from 9’ at the sides to approx 15’ at the peak. The speakers will be placed along the 24’ wall. For serious listening I can place the speakers up to 3’ / 1m from the back wall. This would still give approx 10’ / 3m to the listening position hopefully allowing enough distance for acoustic summation from drivers at the listening position.

Next steps
    I obviously intend to build a test box to the exact dimensions of the target enclosure and measure in place. I am able to measure down to approx 30Hz using an outside balcony approx 13’ from the ground. My mic measuring distance will be approx 2m (or greater) to provide proper summation of individual driver responses.

I also have not yet taken any non-linear distortion or impedance measurements which I will do in box (to highlight any resonance or other box effects). Using Mark K’s site for the L26 and some observations from Zaph’s work (eg. looking at W15 trends), I think the crossover points will minimise non-linear distortion in the drivers’ passbands. The 27TBFC/G is certainly capable of a 1760Hz LR4 slope. I also intend do so some excursion modelling to see which driver maxes out first and at what SPL.

I might have over-estimated:
    a) my box construction capabilities with the approx 17 degree angle required

b) the L15 output on the low end (that there might not be enough SPL to blend well with the L26 at 240Hz). Once in box, I might therefore not need such a “heavy handed” 2nd order electrical HP on the L15. An alternative might be some impedance compensation on the low end (if possible) and a single cap. (In summary, I don’t trust the source FR curves and whether I have correctly subtracted / added measured / modelled box responses).

c) The $ budget to complete this project  It certainly doesn’t aim to rank high in the bang for the buck stakes

Down the track, I might do a matching centre channel MTM using the L15 and 27TBFC/G (assuming I can get this done before the drivers go out of production!)

I’d appreciate your feedback.

David.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave Bullet; 11 June 2008, 23:10 Wednesday.
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

Here is the impedance curve and brace pattern...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Looking good Dave. I honestly don't think you'll need to go ported though if you are using a sub. My W26s have a great bottom end with a Q around .6ish. Of course my room is smaller than your's so I'm getting a lot of reinforcement.

Jed

Comment

• Mark K
        • Feb 2002

Hey Dave,

You stole :E one of my ideas. I've been toying with an L26/?L15vsTitaniumTBvsW15/SeasMinihorn. I've got all the drivers. It's my project for 2009 however. It will be active W-M however. I'll keep my eye out. I think the L26 is a very nice woofer (price seems to be going up though!!!). Good luck
        www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Dave Bullet
          • Jul 2007

Hi Mark,

I remember on your site you mentioning you had a L26 3 way on the cards, but see the dipole bug has bit you. That's probably where I will end up once I get the "simplicity" of a monopole out of my system.

I was lucky I bought my L26's when they were $119 from Madisound... $165 last time I looked. If I were to buy drivers today, I think I'd be going Dayton RS, and then I wouldn't need a design with the plethora of great ones out there.

The reason for the L15 as the mid is my partner said it would look nicer if the drivers matched. Her opinion means a lot to me. I figured if the L15 is good enough run as a mid-woofer, it therefore must be good enough to pair with a L26 and run as the midrange. I might find like Roman Bednarek did with his Alphaeus designs another driver might make a better midrange choice, but I believe he ran his L15 well into the 2000's so probably was encountering higher HD. Keeping under 2000Hz means I am > 2 octaves from the primary breakup which should help.

Cheers,
          David.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Jed
            Looking good Dave. I honestly don't think you'll need to go ported though if you are using a sub. My W26s have a great bottom end with a Q around .6ish. Of course my room is smaller than your's so I'm getting a lot of reinforcement.

Jed
            Good point. It would sure save a lot of enclosure depth (= better aesthetics, less veneer and MDF, less effort etc....).

I'll remodel excursion with sealed and see whether it is really a problem. I'll post my results here in the next few days.

Thanks,
            David.

Comment

• Mark K
              • Feb 2002

I agree with the looks. But I think the titanium TB is also a good match and, well, one heck of a sexy driver! Paper cones are so AARP!!!
              www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• norcad
                • Jun 2008

I've tested the L26 vs CA26 for my 3-way Seas about a year ago. My design ended up with all paper, 27TFFC, MCA15RCY & CA26RFX.

I bought the L26 because I was hoping for a seled box, but if you want to play load, sealed is not good. It reaches xmax way to easy IMO.
                I tried the L26 in two testboxes, one 22L (qtc 0,7) who had a very good punch and was fun listening to, but of course missed all the low bass. The other box was 50L (qtc 0,55) who did go a little lower, but reached xmax with about 100w input.

Im using active xo on bass/mid, crossed at 2-300hz in a wide baffle enclosure, and wanted to use gain on the bassamp as BSC. Therefor I was aiming for a little better headroom. I also found out that it needed atleast 70L who was a little on the big side (my wife thinks).

I ended up with CA26 in 64L, but it lacks some in the bottom end I think.
                Just for fun I tried the L26 in this finished enclosure, tuned to 30hz, and I was suprised. It goes much lower than CA26, and has a better "punch" in the midbass. And it works much better in this "small" enclosure than I suspected. So if dimension is an issue here, you can go for a smaller box IMO.

Hmmm, maybe I should start a threat with some picture and stuff of my Seas 3-way?

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

I love that shape. Actually, my main speakers look like that, and it helped *a lot* with tweeter and midrange diffraction.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by norcad
                    I've tested the L26 vs CA26 for my 3-way Seas about a year ago. My design ended up with all paper, 27TFFC, MCA15RCY & CA26RFX.

I bought the L26 because I was hoping for a seled box, but if you want to play load, sealed is not good. It reaches xmax way to easy IMO.
                    I tried the L26 in two testboxes, one 22L (qtc 0,7) who had a very good punch and was fun listening to, but of course missed all the low bass. The other box was 50L (qtc 0,55) who did go a little lower, but reached xmax with about 100w input.

Im using active xo on bass/mid, crossed at 2-300hz in a wide baffle enclosure, and wanted to use gain on the bassamp as BSC. Therefor I was aiming for a little better headroom. I also found out that it needed atleast 70L who was a little on the big side (my wife thinks).

I ended up with CA26 in 64L, but it lacks some in the bottom end I think.
                    Just for fun I tried the L26 in this finished enclosure, tuned to 30hz, and I was suprised. It goes much lower than CA26, and has a better "punch" in the midbass. And it works much better in this "small" enclosure than I suspected. So if dimension is an issue here, you can go for a smaller box IMO.

Hmmm, maybe I should start a threat with some picture and stuff of my Seas 3-way?
                    Hey, welcome to the forum and you should definitely post pictures of your speaker. I'd really like to see it.

Jed

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                      • Jul 2007

Well - this speaker has been a while in the making!

Revised cabinet. Woofer volume reduced to approx 50L for sealed (well - will be 50 apparent litres when stuffed offsetting the braces).

Is the bracing overkill? Would you use less bracing instead some heavy wall damping material?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

I think the bracing concept is good, by no means overkill- but then I'm one of the forum's poster children for excesses in cabinetry. I doubt you'll regret it when you're done, though.

Getting some time to get back to this project? Are you like me with drivers sitting on a shelf for years sometimes? :W
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                          • Oct 2009

Dave, Really interesting project. What did your simulations tell you on the difference between sealed and vented? Do you think based on them the SPL/power/xmax will be sufficient.

MDF is cheap. Start cutting wood man. This looks like a neat project.
                          "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                          -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Finleyville
                            • Sep 2006

I am looking forward to this design! :T It would be nice to see another metal 3-way Seas design other than Troels and Thor/Odin(?) The H1212 is my favorite tweet, although I haven't heard any of Scan's Air-circs. It is a shame that the L26 has to be so expensive.

I really like the enclosure design. Without a table saw I am unsure I would be able to actually build this shape.....
                            BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                              I think the bracing concept is good, by no means overkill- but then I'm one of the forum's poster children for excesses in cabinetry. I doubt you'll regret it when you're done, though.

Getting some time to get back to this project? Are you like me with drivers sitting on a shelf for years sometimes? :W
                              Thanks Jon. I was a bit worried at some of the equidistant spaces between braces (exciting the same panel resonances). I might move things around slightly to be a bit more golden or acoustic ratio.

Re drivers - here's a couple of photos. The Mrs. only allows me to store my speaker bits and pieces in high, unusable cupboards. I have limited space.

The blue boxes on the left are the L26s. There's a couple of cheapie chinese 8" woofers and some Vifa D19 tweeters (cannibalised from the Mission M70 lying dead on its side). Behind that in the right photo is a Wharfedale 8" / 3/4" speaker (measured terribly - the tweeter was just awful) and 2 JVC 12" woofers with quite high Qts. Better suited to isobaric or open baffle
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                • Jul 2007

Here's another reason for the delay... I got back into motorcycling... Just love it. Commute everyday and enjoy the odd weekend blast over the hills....

I've only one more tweak left to do on the bike (front end suspension upgrade) then it's full on speakers again!
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
                                  Dave, Really interesting project. What did your simulations tell you on the difference between sealed and vented? Do you think based on them the SPL/power/xmax will be sufficient.

MDF is cheap. Start cutting wood man. This looks like a neat project.
                                  Vented needs an enclosure about twice as big. Attached is the two maximally flat alignments. Ideally - you would taper the vented alignment otherwise you risk one note boom with room modes. (well it seems Jon and Zaph prefer this in their vented alignments). I've just done flat for vented / sealed comparison.

Sealed -3dB is approx 43Hz. Vented is about 27Hz.

You've identified my #1 concern for this design. The main problem with the L26 is limited xmax (7mm). Vented provides more excursion protection (xmax on the L26 reached at 30Hz with 50w vented, but only 30w sealed), I don't need the last octave (capable subwoofer... but could always use more swept volume :W ). It also saves heaps on enclosure size (336mm deep as opposed to approx 520mm when vented).

Jed recommended going sealed (which he did with his Tombstone design for the W26). So I'm going sealed.

I did have an excursion graph showing which driver would chicken out first.. will post when I find it.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Finleyville
                                    I am looking forward to this design! :T It would be nice to see another metal 3-way Seas design other than Troels and Thor/Odin(?) The H1212 is my favorite tweet, although I haven't heard any of Scan's Air-circs. It is a shame that the L26 has to be so expensive.

I really like the enclosure design. Without a table saw I am unsure I would be able to actually build this shape.....
                                    When I bought the L26's - they were "only" US$110 each. They soon shot up to US$165 (where I think they still are). I like their low distortion as shown by Mark K in his testing.

They are beautifully made drivers though. The motor sounded eerily silent when breaking in at a 20Hz tone near xmax :W

Re building the shape... I'm not sure how to approach it either! My plunge router doesn't have an adjustable angle base, so I will need to "jig" the angles, or use the router "end on" on the MDF (probably would tear it up).

My goal will be to build it with the minimum of tools, so it is possible for mere mortals like me to do the same. I'll fully document photo the build.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                      • Jul 2007

For a laugh, I had a go at an LR2 mid/woofer crossover. Component count getting a bit high. As you'd expect, less phase wrap leading to a smoother and wider transition through the crossover. Another benefit was a rock solid 4 ohm design - no lower than 4.2 ohms through the bass, mid bass and midrange.

There is still a little more breakup junk than I'd like at the top end for both L26 and L15. Metal drivers may just need steeper slopes.

Enough playing with sims... these could be way off the mark (if my BDS sims were wrong, or guestimates around AC offsets). Time to get real, build a test box and measure!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• oldbar
                                        • Sep 2005

I have started a project with the L26s and I am using zaphs new drivers for the mid and the H1212 tweeter.
                                        The L26s are in a ported 102l box vent at 27hz and as far as i can tell it reaches xmas at about 45w which is not up to really loud music but still for me it will be okay.
                                        I was going to put za14 as an open mid but have decided not to and it will be going into a 7litre enclosure.
                                        I am in the process of doing the boxes and hopefully start putting it all together next week

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                                          • Oct 2009

30watts sealed should get you to about 105db right? That should be good for most everything I would think.
                                          "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                                          -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                            • Jul 2007

Hey oldbar, how has your build been going?

Mine is yet to start - haha. Ah well, I now might be able to plan a bit of time between jobs (have been made redundant and am working out my period).

Anyway, I decided to go LR2 all the way. I "cheated" to get phase to align between mid and tweeter with a ladder delay. My concern here is whether the 27TBFCG will be ok LR2ish at 2KHz. I say "ish" because it is a bit steeper than pure LR2.
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                              • Jul 2007

My other concern (apart from the 27TBFCG low end excursion induced distortion) with both networks with an LR2 between woofer and midrange is the phase divergence above the crossover point. I should be aiming for at least 2 octaves either side - right? Does this mean I need something like a duelund topology, or better acoustic offset alignment (whether it be physical on the baffle or electrical via a different crossover topology)?

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                • Jul 2007

Well well well.... Another 7.5 years have passed and I gave myself a kick up the backside to move on this. Surprisingly the drivers haven't turned into dust! Finally made it to building test baffle stage. Hopefully rest of the test enclosure tomorrow then some real measurements.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171230_212316900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	863320Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171230_211847760.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	863321

Comment

• TEK
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2002

Comeback of the year 2017 :-)
                                                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• 5th element
                                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                                    • Sep 2009

Looking good there! It's never too late to finish up and old project!
                                                    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                      • Jul 2007

They say necessity is the mother of invention. They were right! Here's my little spacer on my plunge router. Not elegant but I could trim the excess on the 17 degree angle bits a lot more confidently than "hope for the best" with the circular saw. This is of course only a measurement mule. I will build proper boxes depending on how it goes.
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                        • Jul 2007

Almost finished test box. I just need to insert the woofer enclosure divider. I should have done a removable baffle - but ended up with a removable back Ahh well - at least I can still stuff till my heart is content.

One change I will already make is the midrange position. I should offset 15mm down to provide more "meat" between the tweeter, as my timber overlay will splinter if too thin. I will check the implications of such a change on a BDS sim, but I don't expect it to be as drastic as a tweeter reposition.
                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• TEK
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

Nice progress.
                                                          This looks like a very nice design. I really like it.
                                                          I had a look at your initial goals for this back in 2008 and they seems very resonable - and your design seems to fully support them.

You are referring to this as test boxes, but you are building two?
                                                          Are you planning on building a new set of boxes after these? What will you do different compared to these (given the assumption that your design work as you want it to)?
                                                          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TEK
                                                            Nice progress.
                                                            This looks like a very nice design. I really like it.
                                                            I had a look at your initial goals for this back in 2008 and they seems very resonable - and your design seems to fully support them.

You are referring to this as test boxes, but you are building two?
                                                            Are you planning on building a new set of boxes after these? What will you do different compared to these (given the assumption that your design work as you want it to)?
                                                            Thanks. I hope it sounds as good as it will look. I will finish the fronts in cedar which I will roundover to the painted black mdf. Should provide a "frame front" effect. The cedar is recycled. It came off our house :-) when we did some repairs. I need to trim its width and plane it.

I'm just building the one (right hand side). I figure I can just face backwards if I want to know what the left side will sound like

The single test mule is made from scrap - plywood, left over shelving and some new MDF.... and I thought as my woodworking skills are so rubbish, I'd stuff up. As it happens, the first one went quite well. I don't have enough / proper clamps so have had to resort to screws & glue.

I suspected I'd want to make changes, such as driver positioning if things were really off .... given that I glued the baffle... that was a bit silly to start with.

I expect the cabinets to be built better 2nd time around. I'm also trying a different PVA glue so hopefully that works

I haven't measured speakers in years and have forgotten how :-) So it's a bit of a starting over again exercise. Fun though. I also have a new measuring PC (cost me $25) as USB soundcards are hopeless with their variable impulse response. Can't beat a hardwired card :-)

The crossover parts will be expensive. I could possibly source magnet wire and wind my own, but then aircores will be massive (eg. 6mH) and shipping premade will be costly too.

PS: I've ditched the 2nd order acoustic slopes. The metal cones love to ring a ding ding and all that breakup junk further up the spectrum is not suppressed enough. I'd also end up killing the tweeter (or making its low end distortion compete with the racket up top from the other 2 drivers). Back to 4th order, easier to phase align too and only (gulp) 16 crossover components per speaker. I'm sure a more competent designer could get it down in count. I'm half expecting to re-design the crossover completely when real measurements are taken.
                                                            Last edited by Dave Bullet; 31 December 2017, 07:48 Sunday. Reason: More mindless thoughts added

Comment

• Zvu
                                                              • Oct 2013

I've done something with L15 recently. You really have to make the crossover point at 1700Hz between midrange and the tweeter to avoid the distortion rise. It does peak at 2.7KHz, but starts to rise quite early, for reasons unknown to me.
                                                              Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Juhazi
                                                                • May 2008

Dave, do your simulations include boundary reinforcement? Floor gain will practically compensate baffle loss. Likewise I think that a sealed bass would be really good for L22, low end gain/pressurization could make miracles and let you enjoy tight bass with low GD. I suggest that you stay with LR2 for W-M xo. LR4 is obviously mandatory for M-T xo.

I will follow your story, this is a solid template, back to basics! I had an almost similar proto but with plastic cones and dsp for xo.
                                                                My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
                                                                  They say necessity is the mother of invention. They were right! Here's my little spacer on my plunge router. Not elegant but I could trim the excess on the 17 degree angle bits a lot more confidently than "hope for the best" with the circular saw. This is of course only a measurement mule. I will build proper boxes depending on how it goes.
                                                                  Dave, looks like your router solution worked nicely. If you still wanted the option of using a circular saw, I found a guide like this works rather well, kind of a poor mans track saw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8_resize.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	863327
                                                                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Zvu
                                                                    I've done something with L15 recently. You really have to make the crossover point at 1700Hz between midrange and the tweeter to avoid the distortion rise. It does peak at 2.7KHz, but starts to rise quite early, for reasons unknown to me.
                                                                    Thanks Zvu. Yes I know Zaph (John Krutke) says there's no issues running the 27TBFC/G down that low (assuming 4th order acoustic sloped). So will do the same

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Juhazi
                                                                      Dave, do your simulations include boundary reinforcement? Floor gain will practically compensate baffle loss. Likewise I think that a sealed bass would be really good for L22, low end gain/pressurization could make miracles and let you enjoy tight bass with low GD. I suggest that you stay with LR2 for W-M xo. LR4 is obviously mandatory for M-T xo.

I will follow your story, this is a solid template, back to basics! I had an almost similar proto but with plastic cones and dsp for xo.
                                                                      Cheers. No my sims don't include room / boundary effects. I forgot to turn these on, when using the BDS spreadsheet. I will re-check. I know I get a bit of a high Q bump around 100Hz with the current crossover design (4th order acoustic) W-M and that might "bloat" the bass somewhat, esp. if combined with floor bounce (yet to calculate where in frequency) and any room gain.

The only other problem with 2nd order acoustic W-M was the breakup modes / junk from the L26 didn't seem to me to be adequately suppressed. Will re-check

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                                                        Dave, looks like your router solution worked nicely. If you still wanted the option of using a circular saw, I found a guide like this works rather well, kind of a poor mans track saw.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27968[/ATTACH]
                                                                        Cheers. I made a similar guide but out of scrap and I don't think it's as straight as it should be lol. I will remake with 18mm MDF so it is stronger... might also compromise on length as I have 2400mm and don't really need it. A 1200 - 1500mm straight edge will be enough as I can't rip 2400mm anyway as a don't have a long enough table to do it properly.

I'll sort my guide before the final build.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2007

Todays efforts. Separated the woofer and mid-tweet enclosures and provided an extra 5L to the L26 woofer enclosure, so without stuffing it will be 55L. Also foamed the rear so I can seal the back when removing for stuffing changes... I'd rather do that than constantly move drivers. Also cut some cedar which will go onto the front eventually. Will wait for my silicone sealant overdose to cure then measure tomorrow hopefully!
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15284

Looks to me like you're making progress and having fun doing it! :T

Please keep us posted on your progress...
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2007
                                                                              • 474

#39
                                                                              Ok... so here are my initial in box measurements. I was contemplating a proper outside groundplane measure to avoid nearfield / gated farfield splicing but it all got a bit hard moving kit about....

Gated... .measurements came out ok. i got good resolution outside, but not sufficient below 250Hz to accurately model the W-M crossover. So I will need to splice near and farfield and extract minimum phase etc...

For the life of me, I couldn't get a smooth nearfield response. VU meter was bang on 21k/22k soundcard input/output (respectively). Didn't matter what sample size / rate I used, nor number of samples. This was mic placed right on the phase plug or just inside next to the cone itself.

First image is the L26 - gated farfield (red) unsmoothed nearfield (black)
                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2007
                                                                                • 474

#40
                                                                                Here's the same for the L15 - gated farfield (red) unsmoothed nearfield (black). The 20Hz area seems a little smoother than the L26. Might redo now I have better levels / mix gain set...
                                                                                Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2007
                                                                                  • 474

#41
                                                                                  Here's the final set of raw measurements. Blue = 27TBFCG tweeter, Red = L15 mid, Green = L26 woofer. With the L15 and L26 I overlaid the gated farfield with nearfield for display only (and level matching). The only changes made were to scale down the nearfield L15 and L26 measurements to match the respective on-axis taken at the tweeter (reference position and level). I think these are workable. I will use Jeff BAgby's excellent FRD blender tool, to merge nearfield and farfield responses for both L26 and L15 drivers, including simulated baffle diffraction and post up. I will also need to re-extract min-phase for the tweeter, as I can't use Speakerworkshops measured phase (although all I got consistent impulse measurements across all drivers).

First up... I'm very happy with the tweeter placement on my oddly shaped baffle. Seems to smooth out the response nicely.

PS: I know I need to do some off-axis measurements... but will get on-axis modeled "all the way through" before doing those.
                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2007
                                                                                    • 474

#42
                                                                                    Nearfield interrogation technique. The plug did not "phase me" (badom-psssh!)
                                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2007
                                                                                      • 474

#43
                                                                                      Another one for the humour / raise eyebrows file.... Me trying to get more range by measuring outside... Waste of time lol But had the neighbours looking
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2013
                                                                                        • 434

#44
                                                                                        Hey Dave,

You might want to expand to at least 5dB grid so that measurements look a bit worse but are much more true to what's happening.

As for FRD blender tool - it doesn't work the best if i remember correctly. I tested it (few years ago) and found that it didn't work well. I made gated measurements for tweeter and midwoofer. I made crossover point at 1700Hz that had very good phase response with files gated at 250Hz. Then i merged midwoofers nearfield response with gated midwoofers frd response and imported the new file in my LspCAD simulation. While the frequency response remained similar enough, the phase response was quite different.

Maybe that was fixed in the meantime but i'd test it if i were to design with it now. Now i like to design crossovers with gated files and merge the responses just to see quasi anechoic response of the entire system. I don't use it for modeling any more.
                                                                                        Last edited by Zvu; 03 January 2018, 16:50 Wednesday.
                                                                                        Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2007
                                                                                          • 474

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Zvu
                                                                                          Hey Dave,

You might want to expand to at least 5dB grid so that measurements look a bit worse but are much more true to what's happening.

As for FRD blender tool - it doesn't work the best if i remember correctly. I tested it (few years ago) and found that it didn't work well. I made gated measurements for tweeter and midwoofer. I made crossover point at 1700Hz that had very good phase response with files gated at 250Hz. Then i merged midwoofers nearfield response with gated midwoofers frd response and imported the new file in my LspCAD simulation. While the frequency response remained similar enough, the phase response was quite different.

Maybe that was fixed in the meantime but i'd test it if i were to design with it now. Now i like to design crossovers with gated files and merge the responses just to see quasi anechoic response of the entire system. I don't use it for modeling any more.
                                                                                          Hi Zvu,

Thanks for the advice. I've added a 5dB marker to get a better feel for +/- variances.

The version of the blender tool is v2.0 ~ 2014 - so I don't think has been revised. I applied it to L26 and L15, and rextracted min phase for 27TBFCG (since I couldn't use actual phase) now I have a "bulge" in the midrange. Surprisngly the crossover still sums pretty well, albeit with the "hump":
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"