X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikey15
    • Jun 2008

On the fence

Hey guys Im debating on what to build. I want to use the Seas Reed cone mids and the Seas 27TBFCG tweet. I want a MTMWW The dilema is do I go with 8's or 10's. I am planning a Guys Room and it will have a false wall. The problem is I can only go about 2.5' out. If I use 10's will that put the back of the speker too close to the back wall. Oh yeah I plan to put the front speakrs behind the wall with a perfed screen. Also I want to match the center as close as possible. I am leaning towards the Emotiva XPA-5 so I will have around 200 watts a channel. Eventually I will also get the XPA-2 so it will go up to 250 watts for the L/R. Thanks for your input
    Mike
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Are you going to use a sub?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The 5" or 7" Seas Reed Paper driver?

Given this is a completely new speaker, we assume you're knowledgeable regarding loudspeaker measurement/testing, and know how to properly design a crossover?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mikey15
        • Jun 2008

yes on the sub(an llt) no on the crossover. Half of the fun for me is learning. I'm currently reading the loudspeaker cook book. I know I'm in for a lot of trial and error

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Best to start out having measurements taken with the drivers mounted in the baffle you intend to use...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by mikey15
            Hey guys Im debating on what to build. I want to use the Seas Reed cone mids and the Seas 27TBFCG tweet. I want a MTMWW The dilema is do I go with 8's or 10's. I am planning a Guys Room and it will have a false wall. The problem is I can only go about 2.5' out. If I use 10's will that put the back of the speker too close to the back wall. Oh yeah I plan to put the front speakrs behind the wall with a perfed screen. Also I want to match the center as close as possible. I am leaning towards the Emotiva XPA-5 so I will have around 200 watts a channel. Eventually I will also get the XPA-2 so it will go up to 250 watts for the L/R. Thanks for your input
            Mike

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forum. :T The Seas Reed cone drivers are very nice. Since you've never designed a speaker, I'd recommend going with a 2 way for your first design. That said, IMO, you should build a proven design first to get some experience first. I'd take a look at zaphaudio.com for some ideas or check out my website to see what is involved with building a speaker from start to scratch. Then, when you have some more specific questions let us know so we can guide you in the build process.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
              • Jul 2007

Hi Mike,

As Jed said, you've picked some good drivers, but simply using textbook crossover formulas will be a hit and miss result. The two main reasons for that is:
              1. Textbook formulas assume a constant resistance from all drivers across all frequencies. This is never the case (look at the varying impedance curves of the drivers you are looking at)

2. Textbook formulas do not take into account your baffle dimensions, which affect ripple (the peaks and troughs) and baffle step (the upto 6dB rise when frequencies increase such as the baffle becomes effective at reflecting the wavefront).

The Loudspeaker design cookbook in my opinion grossly overlooks the above two points and implies you can design a really good crossover just by using formulas.

If you really want to use that driver combination, try to use an existing design. Jay Kim has designed a ER18 / 27TDFC combination, which you could probably replace the 27TDFC with a 27TBFC/G if you pad down 1dB more. Here is his design:
              Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend you build an existing design meeting the same goals (sounds like good dynamics / higher SPL is your aim). Many of the Dayton RS based designs posted here (Missions accomplished) will meet that (and more). You will still learn alot - even if it is building an existing design. You can then invest in a measurement setup (which doesn't have to be much) and do your own designs down the track.

Cheers,
              David.

Comment

• peter_m
                • Sep 2007

Mikey15,
                what you are planning to embark on is a really rough and bumpy road that goes uphill most of the way. If that doesn;t scare you, look in to these drivers:

Peerless 830882 (mids)
                Seas 22TAFG (highs)

They both offer better off-axis dispersion and in the case of the Peerless, it has lower distortion then the Seas ER-15. If you are keeping in the larger 7" mids, look into the Vifa XG18, even lower distortion then the Peerless and the Seas.

Good luck,
                Peter

Comment

• mikey15
                  • Jun 2008

I think we have established I'm embarking on a very rough road but I'm up for it. I'm one of those that says "hey I can do that" and wind up teaching mysef through trial and error. I've done lots of construction so I'm not worried about building the cabinets. I've run all the electrical in our old basement build"lots of trial and error there but it passed inspection. I can solder from my r/c car days. I even have a Hako soldering station. I just need to learn this crossover stuff. When you say mount the speakers in the baffle then take measurements. Do you mean model the enclosure an build it then take measurements. Or just build the baffle and do initial measurements. Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question
                  thanks
                  Mike

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Speaker Workshop makes it possible to design and test loudspeakers using a PC with a sound card. You will find projects of speakers (double chamber reflex and a dipole), two power amplifiers (My_ Ref., Hypex UCD180), a DAC (EZDAC), and articles on speaker buildings

This website will help you get started with measurements.

As well as www.rjbaudio.com

Jed

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"