X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FroDaddy
    • Mar 2006

TMWW vs Modula NeoD?

I'm making this post for a friend who can't get to his computer at the moment... He has a nice dedicated home theater with room treatments and is accomplished building DIY speakers. So far he's built the TMWW mains and center with the Dennis Murphy crossover, and five NatP in-walls as well.

Although he likes his TMWW's, he's wanting more out of a set of speakers. The TMWW's seem somewhat bright, and he's looking for more detail if possible. Bass isn't an issue here since he's looking for performance 100Hz and up.

After building the NatP speakers, he really likes Jon's crossover designs and how the character of the speakers. The NatP's will continue to be used for surrounds, and he's now setting his sights on the Modula NeoD's hoping to get even better performance from a design that Jon has done for the left, right, and center channels. (He is 85% movies and 15% music.)

If cost isn't much of an issue, are the Modula NeoD's better than the TMWW with the Dennis Murphy crossover? His TMWW's sound good already, so if the NeoD's are better then how much better are they? He's hoping the NeoD's aren't as bright but with improved clarity and performance above 100Hz.

Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The NeoD is a very smooth and 'neutral' sounding speaker. For some people it actually maybe a bit 'understated'.

I haven't heard the TMWW so I can't comment about it.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FroDaddy
      If cost isn't much of an issue, are the Modula NeoD's better than the TMWW with the Dennis Murphy crossover? His TMWW's sound good already, so if the NeoD's are better then how much better are they? He's hoping the NeoD's aren't as bright but with improved clarity and performance above 100Hz.

Thanks
      I'm the opposite of Thomas in that I haven't heard the NeoD's but I did build the TMWW's with the crossover Dennis developed. They are not bright. If you're hearing brightness I'd check the crossover 1st to verify that it's assembled correctly and then I'd take a hard look at the electronics powering them.

Try different components, recievers etc. depending on your system and see if they still sound bright. Is the brightness on certain CD's or is it something that's heard from all sources? There are a lot of variable that could be causing the problem. Anyway, I've never heard a bright speaker from Dennis and I've heard a lot of his designs.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"