X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David_D
    • Feb 2008

Please help - DIY 7 band 1/3 oct parametic EQ

Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping for some help with a sanity check.
    I have been looking at ESP's Parametric eq and thought I might be able to taylor one specifically for my sub.
    Project details can be found here:

Attached is a proposed diagram of what I am thinking. I hope someone may have the time & inclination to see if I am on the right track.
    This is my first venture into this area and looking for some sage advice.
    Attached Files
    -David

As we try and consider
    We receive all we venture to give
  • Saurav
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Are those the fixed frequencies you'll be equalizing? That looks like the standard 1/3 octave center frequencies, which isn't bad, but you might benefit from finer-grained control. I noticed that the original had pots on the bottom to adjust frequency as well. Look into Room EQ Wizard, at hometheatershack.com. That's free software, it can measure your room and output the exact settings needed for a PEQ like the Behringer Feedback Destroyer, and I think it uses a higher resolution than 1/3 octave. Since you can use something like that to calculate your EQ center frequencies, you might want the ability to match them more closely.

You might have to think about component tolerances. For instance, the first leg uses 2.7M + 150K to get to 2.85M. If you get +/-5% resistors, then the upper resistor could be anything between 2.5M and 2.9M. So you may need something other than 150K to hit 2.85M accurately. You won't know until you buy the resistors and measure them.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert at any of this, so take this with a big grain of salt

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sorry but I'm not sure why someone would choose this over the $99 Behringer DSP1124P?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David_D
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Saurav
        You might have to think about component tolerances. For instance, the first leg uses 2.7M + 150K to get to 2.85M. If you get +/-5% resistors, then the upper resistor could be anything between 2.5M and 2.9M. So you may need something other than 150K to hit 2.85M accurately. You won't know until you buy the resistors and measure them.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert at any of this, so take this with a big grain of salt
        Thank you very much for your input. That is definately a consideration.

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Sorry but I'm not sure why someone would choose this over the $99 Behringer DSP1124P?
        Thanks for your input Thomas. It's just the DIY'er in me keeping me awake tonight. Thought I may try to intregrate this into an amp build, and axe a piece of equipment.
        -David

As we try and consider
        We receive all we venture to give

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"