X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tylerdurden
    • May 2008

Zaph ZDT3.5 baffle question?

Does the baffle thickness have to be 3/4"? Can it be 1" with a 3/4 roundover on the edge with the drivers countersunk/flush mounted? With the inside chamfered of course. Thank you!!
    Bobby
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

You can certainly increase the baffle thickness. I used 1.5" on my Khans. Just increase the depth the same amount so that the internal volume is the same.

I would keep the edge roundover the same as Zaph used for most consistent results.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• stangbat
      • Jan 2008

FYI, the following can be found on his Design Mantras page.

All of my designs call for roundovers on the baffle. 1/2" is the minimum, but 3/4" is better if you have a large shank, variable speed router than can handle it. The roundover is required to help smooth out the diffraction ripple response.

Comment

• tylerdurden
        • May 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
        You can certainly increase the baffle thickness. I used 1.5" on my Khans. Just increase the depth the same amount so that the internal volume is the same.

I would keep the edge roundover the same as Zaph used for most consistent results.
        Thank you --k--!! I figured this would be the case but I wanted to make sure. I read in Zaph's "Design Mantra's" section on his websight, that he suggests a 3/4" roundover to be the optimum, 1/2" to be minimum. I have a really good Porter-Cable 1/2" shank 3-3/4horse router, so a large roundover is no problem.
        It looks like I will have to take down a little more for the rear mount on the tweeter as well. The rear mount reguires a 12mm depth. Thanks again!
        Bobby

Thank you Stang! I had already read that. I think I have read everything on his site. :B

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"