Use cone or motor distance for estimating time alignment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • owdi
    • Feb 2008

Use cone or motor distance for estimating time alignment?

When modeling an MT on a flat baffle, common practice appears to be to estimate the woofer delay by measuring the difference in distance to the listener between the voice coil of the tweeter and woofer. I can't site any sources right now, but I have read this on multiple sites and forums.

This practice has never sat well with me, it doesn't make sense. AFAIK, sound energy travels through the voice coil and cone much faster than it does through air. If the cone isn't breaking up, then it's moving like a piston, instantly*** transferring energy from the voice coil to the air. If that's true, then the best estimate of woofer delay is to look at the difference between the cone of the tweeter and woofer.

So which is the better way? Taking the difference between cones, or voice coils? What am I missing?

Dan

***I know it's not speed-of-light instant, but I assume it's much much faster than sound through air.
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Theory aside, in practice it turns out that the acoustical center of a woofer is somewhere near where the voice coil joins the cone. But if you do measurements that include real phase, you don't need to worry about it. The XO software will work just fine with the measurements and you don't need to worry about where the 'real' AC is because the software can calculate the difference in phase between the woofer and tweeter.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"