X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinp.
    • Apr 2008

Seas L12 questions / advice request

Hi all, I'd like to try the L12 in a small 2 way monitor and would appreciate any feedback. I found an old post by Zaph from a little over a year ago stating he was using this driver in a small 2 way, but I guess it didn't meet his qualifications well enough to post the design. I figure it'd have to be crossed over relatively low due to the break up near 9k, so I thought the 27TBFGC would be a good match, since it can be crossed over relatively low. Then lo and behold, I found this very design by Tony Gee, humblehomemadehifi, with a series crossover no less, which holds a bit of mystique to a noob like me I must admit. The only thing is, the crossover is at 2500, which seems a bit high looking at the distortion plots Zaph has published. I was orginally going to request that Madisound configure the crossover for me in the 1600-1900 range using Leap since I have no measuring equipment or skills for that sort of thing, although I doubt they have the same thoroughness that can be found in the designs on this site. Should I just build the HATT-MkIII from Tony? Should I get it done via LEAP? Or should I forget the whole idea and build a Dayton RS125 design for 1/3 the price?.... thanks for any input you guys can provide
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

I've never heard one of Tony G.'s designs but Taco on the board here has heard some of those designs. Maybe he can comment on that particular speaker. That said, I think Seas drivers are excellent, but when you are done with this little speaker, you will probably want something with a bit more low end. So my first question is, does it have to be a design with a 4" driver? If so I'd put my money in something like rjbaudio.com microbe or maybe a lineup D4, both of which I know sound very good because I've had numerous hours listening to them.

Jed

Comment

• kevinp.
      • Apr 2008

Thanks for the reply Jed. I'm going to be using in a very small room (9x12) at relatively low listening levels (80db, occasionally top out at 90 but very rare), plus I have a sub in there, front and center. The room is pretty well treated, with 2" OC703 on the walls in key spots and 4' thick corner loaded.

Anyway, looking for super clean, detailed, accurate sound for mostly classical pieces such as piano and violin sonatas 2 channel SACD playback, although occasionally I may throw on some Led Zep or even System of a Down....

I was also considering your Lineups because I hear the TB 1337 is supposed to be a terrific little speaker, but seeing statements like "harmonic distortion is merely average" on Zaph's site scares me a bit, so I think to myself I don't mind spending more for better drivers if I can get them implemented well. I'm probably not using the information provided in the best way though, I realize. I don't know; so many good designs out there. I could probably choose any and be happy; I just want a noticible improvement over my Mission V60's, even though I don't even know what if anything they are doing wrong. Sounds silly, I know, I guess I just want to hear a difference. I can read all about speakers and sound for years, but it's in doing that we learn.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kevinp.
        . . .. but seeing statements like "harmonic distortion is merely average" on Zaph's site scares me a bit, so I think to myself I don't mind spending more for better drivers if I can get them implemented well. I'm probably not using the information provided in the best way though, I realize..

Actually the W4-1337 is excellent in the mids and top end compared to the L12's favorable low end performance. Since you have a sub I'd go with something better than the L12 in the mids. I've heard the L12 in one speaker; Roman B's Alpheus MK1, and it was rather forward sounding in the midrange, but that is comparing apples to oranges so take my statement with a grain of salt. Roman made the same observation and since replaced those mids with Peerless 881 mids.

If you want something a bit more HIFI than the L12, you could look at Seas Excel W15CYs etc. I'm listening to a pair right now as I type this and they are sounding incredibly detailed and clean. Check out this page for some more ideas:

Jed

Comment

• jkrutke
          • Dec 2005

There's no way the Seas L12 is worth $70 ea. There are many Seas drivers that I like and I think are worth the money but that's not one of them. I do have a couple designs, one with the 27TBFCG, but I'm not giving them out. I don't like my name on designs that aren't worth it.

Now for a shocker: The MCM 55-1853 sounds better and only costs $14. (though you have to put up with a flimsy frame) I'll be testing the new cast frame design of that woofer (55-3853) and it's 5" brother. (55-3870)
          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jed
            I've never heard one of Tony G.'s designs but Taco on the board here has heard some of those designs. Maybe he can comment on that particular speaker. That said, I think Seas drivers are excellent, but when you are done with this little speaker, you will probably want something with a bit more low end. So my first question is, does it have to be a design with a 4" driver? If so I'd put my money in something like rjbaudio.com microbe or maybe a lineup D4, both of which I know sound very good because I've had numerous hours listening to them.

Jed
            I didn't listened to the small monitor's. But from my experiences I would prefer the Lineup as for me the tuning/ filter is done using measurements instead of voodoo.

Comment

• kevinp.
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jkrutke
              There's no way the Seas L12 is worth $70 ea. There are many Seas drivers that I like and I think are worth the money but that's not one of them. I do have a couple designs, one with the 27TBFCG, but I'm not giving them out. I don't like my name on designs that aren't worth it.

Now for a shocker: The MCM 55-1853 sounds better and only costs $14. (though you have to put up with a flimsy frame) I'll be testing the new cast frame design of that woofer (55-3853) and it's 5" brother. (55-3870)

thanks for the heads up, that saves me from making a mistake! I guess I assumed since the L15 and L18 were decent enough to publish designs for than the L12 must be pretty good too, but I guess I was wrong.
              Maybe I'll look into the W15, mag or nextel though? Or maybe I'll just stick to a known good design like the Lineup...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"