X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Amplifier Enclosure

I'm in the process of building my own amplifier right now. I have pretty much everything on order part wise except a case. I have done googleing, calling, emailing and yet nothing that looks promising. I found one company that I liked but they are out of business apparently. I'm getting to the point where I might just use two large heatsinks as the sides of the amplifier and get sheet metal and make the rest of the enclosure and have a local machine shop make the front plate.

Anyway, does anyone on here have links or advise about enclosures or building one from scratch?

Also, where is a good place to get heatsinks from? The only place I have found that makes what I'm looking for is Conrad.

Thanks,
    Joe
    -Joe
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

eBay usually has some good heatsinks, but I know some of the guys have a good place for them. I can't remember it right now...
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I once saw in AudioXpress someone recommend (and I know this is going to sound strange, but) a cake pan! The specifically recommended the real thick ones by Wilton Industries with the rolled edge. I don't remember what you use for a bottom. I guess a flat plat and use small angle brackets to attach it to the side of the pan..

I have seen one of the pans they recommend (Wilton is about 5 miles from my house and every July they have a blow out sale). They are thick and have a nice black finish. I can see how they would make a nice enclosure. But, I have never used one as such.

Anyway, just an off-the-wall suggestion.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Cake pans were for tube amps I believe and yeah I've seen that used a bit.

Comment

• Doug Fraser
          • Apr 2004

Here are the 2 threads where this has been discussed.

I'm one of those intensely anal people that likes everything to look perfect and am now faced with a dilemma... Most of my equipment is brushed aluminum... My DirecTV DVR box isn't. <queue lightning strike> So I have this brilliant idea that I might be able to track down a nice brushed aluminum blank enclosure

I will be building some active crossovers and DIY power amps on a budget... I know that most people use aluminum project boxes for housing active crossovers and power amplifiers, etc. While I would like to get some nice aluminum enclosures, and probably will some day, is there any compelling reason not to simply use wood for

They pretty much reference the same vendors

I too did a search and this site has the cases I like the best

and specifically this one

Click image for larger version

Name:	pesdiss16x12_407x300.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	950070

or this one

Name:	pesante_diss_10mm.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	950071

Doug
          Attached Files
          Last edited by theSven; 05 December 2023, 18:10 Tuesday. Reason: Update urls and image location

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

Thanks guys.

Sorry about the two other threads. I must not have search for the right parameters.
            -Joe

Comment

• Paul Ebert
              • May 2004

The modu enclosures are very nice, but you pay a lot for shipping, I seem to recall.

Joe, you might check www.diyenclosures.com. I've bought a few from him (he's a fellow diy'er that has tried to make a business of this on the side) and have been pleased with them. Unfortunately, as he went through his initial stock, he didn't want to replentish it until the initial was gone, so it kind of languished. But if you can find something that fits your needs I think you'd be pleased.

One other idea I've toyed around with is using black acrylic for the faceplate. Wouldn't work too well if the amp generated a lot of heat...

Comment

• Martyn
                • Feb 2006

I designed my own using heatsinks for the sides:

Name:	DSCN1645a.jpg
Views:	2300
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	850635
                Last edited by theSven; 05 December 2023, 18:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• relder
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by joetama
                  I'm getting to the point where I might just use two large heatsinks as the sides of the amplifier and get sheet metal and make the rest of the enclosure and have a local machine shop make the front plate.
                  That's basically what I did, if you have a diyaudio acct. you can see pictures here My Aleph at diyaudio.com

Other random URLs I've bookmarked (haven't dealt with any of them):

This website is for sale! hexateq-av.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hexateq-av.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• joetama
                    • May 2006

Ok...

Thanks for the links and advise.

I think I am just going to build my own out of heatsinks and sheet metal.

Relder did you just drill the holes in the top yourself?

I was debating doing something like that or just using some perforated sheet metal.

Also, what material (Aluminum, Steel, Stainless) and gauge did guys use?

I've cut and bent sheet metal a little before, but it was pretty thin stuff and I just used snips and a block of wood+hammer. What methods did you guys use for cutting and bending. (I don't think I'm going to bend much if at all for this project)

I have a local machine/weld shop that has built things for me in the past. I wonder if they could just cut the metal to the size I need it.
                    -Joe

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Couple other places to consider:

Par-metal

And, if you want to do your own, one of the best sources I've found:

Online metals

C
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• relder
                        • Jul 2005

Relder did you just drill the holes in the top yourself?
                        Yep, my drill press was definately my friend on that project.
                        I was debating doing something like that or just using some perforated sheet metal.

Also, what material (Aluminum, Steel, Stainless) and gauge did guys use?

I've cut and bent sheet metal a little before, but it was pretty thin stuff and I just used snips and a block of wood+hammer. What methods did you guys use for cutting and bending. (I don't think I'm going to bend much if at all for this project)

I have a local machine/weld shop that has built things for me in the past. I wonder if they could just cut the metal to the size I need it.
                        I ordered aluminum plate from onlinemetals.com to size, or a touch over size (can't remember). I think it was 1/8" for the top and 3/16" for bottom, back. The cuts from onlinemetals.com are done with a shear press thing, so the edge finish ain't great, also, the shear puts some small indentation marks (running the entire length) where it pressed the two pieces apart. I bought a Freud non-ferrous metals blade for my table saw, which does leave a decent finish (only light sanding required after that), to trim up the pieces, make them square and get a decent finish. I then used pieces of L channel aluminum to screw the pieces together.

Name:	plate_amp.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	850636
                        Last edited by theSven; 05 December 2023, 18:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• chasw98
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Go to Apex Jr. Steve usually has some overstock heatsinks at a good price if you are thinking of building your own case.

Comment

• benchtester
                            • Sep 2007

I designed my own using heatsinks for the sides:
                            Martyn: That's a real nice looking enclosure. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I like the ones on ebay I have bought them and they are excellent.

eBay links not available

This guy is awesome will cut the sinks down to any size you want and the prices will be a little less if you email him and deal outside of ebay. Very fast shipping as well!
                              Last edited by theSven; 05 December 2023, 18:13 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken ebay links

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                • May 2004

For those of you who have bought aluminum plate from onlinemetals.com, how was the finish? Did you have to sand out scratches or the like?

My other question is: anodized, painted, or left bare? I seem to recall that anodizing in small quantities (1) is expensive. Is this still the case?

Comment

• relder
                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
                                  For those of you who have bought aluminum plate from onlinemetals.com, how was the finish? Did you have to sand out scratches or the like?

My other question is: anodized, painted, or left bare? I seem to recall that anodizing in small quantities (1) is expensive. Is this still the case?
                                  You may have to sand out some scratches and printing. I left mine bare after carefully sanding in one direction to create a brushed look. Still looks great, but easily fingerprinted.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

If you like the brushed aluminum look you can get some medium grit sand paper and sand in one direction several times until you get the finish you want and then go over it with a clear coat.

Comment

• joetama
                                      • May 2006

What aluminum number do you guys use?

I'm guessing 6061 is the most common?
                                      -Joe

Comment

• David_D
                                        • Feb 2008

What aluminum number do you guys use?

I'm guessing 6061 is the most common?
                                        Hi Joe,
                                        6061 is the most commonly available aluminum. It is extruded and not cast. Although softer than some, an anodized coating will add a sufficient tougher layer. If you do consider anodizing, I have some tips. All of the platers I have dealt with deal on lot charges. So, one could have an entire enclosure anodized for the cost of the face plate. If you are thinking about an off the shelf enclosure then I would use the same grade of aluminum for the face plate, as different grade require different anodizing recipes and this would increase one’s lot charge. Also, I would anodize all the materials black as this minimizes color variances across aluminum grades and large panels. I have seen large panels of aluminum that have had a clear anodize finish be infinite shades of silver to brown across a single piece.
                                        Sorry for rambling on. I have a lot of custom machined pieces anodized in my business.
                                        -David

As we try and consider
                                        We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• joetama
                                          • May 2006

No problem with the rambling. It's welcome, sometimes that is where the best ideas come from.

David what grade of aluminum would your recommend? Is there a major benefit to Anodizing vs Painting? Also, what is the usual charge for such anodizing?
                                          -Joe

Comment

• David_D
                                            • Feb 2008

No problem with the rambling. It's welcome, sometimes that is where the best ideas come from.

David what grade of aluminum would your recommend? Is there a major benefit to Anodizing vs Painting? Also, what is the usual charge for such anodizing?
                                            Hoffman rack enclosures are made out of 6063-T6 alloy. These are a typical sheet metal bent enclosure. Cast enclosures and extruded enclosures are made out of different alloys.
                                            Due a search for aluminum on McMaster-Carr’s site and they have a very good description of each kind of grade. I would contact the manufacturer of your specific enclosure and choose the same grade. This would keep anodizing costs down, but may be outweighed by the cost of the raw aluminum faceplate.
                                            Anodizing normally runs me about $60-$85 a lot of 4-16 pieces of like materials.
                                            On a side note, laser engraving looks great over black anodize. (It turns the characters a silver color) Most places can engrave off of a pdf file and is very cheap, my machinery tags which are 2” x 6” and has about 6 lines & a graphic. (Company name, logo, & address) run me about $12 each.
                                            -David

As we try and consider

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Umm engravings can very greatly by cost. If you go to a local place and have it done it can be very expensive for just one piece. The way you get it real cheap is by doing bulk orders of engraving and what not. I was looking into doing some panels before and this was the case of course they were making the entire panel and not just engraving it. I guess it just depends on where you go

Comment

• joetama
                                                • May 2006

My GF is an artist and she silk screens for fun (painter by training).

I got a bunch of little metal plates for her to play with. So, pretty much the cost of a screen & the ink and I can get everything put on the amplifier I want.

I asked her if she was sure she could do it. Knowing I had doubts, she showed me pictures of a project that a guy at her school made. Apparently, if I remember the story right her best friend is sort of dating this guy but not. (Art kids are weird sometimes.) Anyway, he took all his aluminum rack panels off his DJ Rack, stripped them and printed these sweet looking swirls and lines on them with about different 20 colors. It was pretty intense. She said he had to use a special ink to get it to stick. I admit I wasn't really listening, I was thinking more along the lines of what the would mean for my project. I'm trying to find the link but I'm not having any luck.
                                                -Joe

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

I've thought of silk screening my amp racks. It's relatively simple you use photo sensitive transfer stuff and what not. So you just print it out on this paper from your computer and then use a light to transfer it to the other stuff or something. It's been a while but its really not hard.

Comment

• benchtester
                                                    • Sep 2007

Labeling Amp enclosures

The laser engraving is good. It can remove anodizing or paint. I heard that you could remove black anodizing and then have the panel gold anodized to color the labels. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds cool.

If you make a front panel out of wood or plastic (including Corian); the laser can burn depth. When I did Corian, I coated it with water soluble mold release (PVA) before the engraving. After the engraving, I squeegeed on contrasting paint. After it dried I washed off the mold release and excess paint.

For those that make their own circuit boards with the toner transfer method (iron-on), you can do the same thing for the front panel. I wet sanded the aluminum to get a satin finish. Transfered the toner labels. Then covered it with clear coat lacquer for durability. (While some people like the transparency film sheets, I like the water release decal paper.) It looked pretty good.

Comment

• David_D
                                                      • Feb 2008

As far as laser engraving... This is not a traditional engraving process where it actually removes material from the aluminum. I do not know about softer materials like plastics. But, on anodized aluminum it sort of burns through the anodize leaving the aluminum underneath. You are right Dougie, cost will all depend on where one goes and the scope of the project. Upon doing an extensive amount of research to produce a suitable tag to put on my equipment, laser engraving was by far the most cost effective. Here's an example what laser engraving does to black anodized aluminum.

Name:	Machinetag.JPG
Views:	1868
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	850655
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 05 December 2023, 18:13 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                                                      -David

As we try and consider

Comment

• rlim
                                                        • Feb 2007

spray paint on aluminum?

Has anyone tried spray painting on aluminum and got decent results? How would one decide whether to spray paint or to anodize? I am currently making an amplifier enclosure myself and just cut some aluminum pieces yesterday. Not sure which route to take once I drilled all the holes. Seems like spray painting would be easier since I don't have anodizing equipment, but not sure what the outcome would be.

Richard

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2002

I think, for an amp, spray painting will work just fine. Clean and sand the aluminum before you paint it. If you were painting an airplane, you'd need to get into fancy primers, etc. to get the paint to hold up to the weather and keep the aluminum from corroding but, for an amp indoors, plain old flat black enamel should be good enough.

Edit: for the lettering, if you're on a budget, go to an office supply store and buy 'dry transfer' lettering sheets. They're good enough for ON, OFF, etc. Basically they are black or white letters on the back of a plastic sheet. Rub over the letters with a pencil or a pointed stick and they will transfer to whatever is underneath.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

Just don't spray paint any heatsinks. The paint is far to thick and would alter the cooling properties of the heatsink. Anodizing is the best way as your whole chassis becomes a nice big heatsink If it's all aluminum. Well this works if its anodized or bare aluminum.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2002

We can debate that one Dougie. I would think (but don't know for sure) that a thin coat of black paint on a heatsink would work better than bare aluminum or silver anodizing. Black radiates heat better than silver.

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jul 2004

I've purchased a few chassis from Par-Metal. They may not be the most exotic looking but the company is easy to do business with, prices are reasonable and they will punch holes to your specification if you furnish a drawing.

My DIY balanced power conditioner in a Par-Metal chassis:

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Black may radiate heat but! Paint adds a rather thick layer of paint between the air and the heatsink. Black anodizing is a very very thin layer and actually bonds to the metal. No matter how thin you try and spray paint its always going to be thicker then anodizing.

Comment

• joetama
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
                                                                    I've purchased a few chassis from Par-Metal. They may not be the most exotic looking but the company is easy to do business with, prices are reasonable and they will punch holes to your specification if you furnish a drawing.

My DIY balanced power conditioner in a Par-Metal chassis:
                                                                    Balanced power conditioner? More information is required.
                                                                    -Joe

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

I think there is a thread here somewhere on it. Or maybe its on Thomas's site or something?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Balanced power conditioner? More information is required.
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 05 December 2023, 18:14 Tuesday. Reason: Update url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joetama
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006

Wow... Thanks...
                                                                          -Joe

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"