How would this stack up for Full Range project?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • its_bacon12
    • May 2008

How would this stack up for Full Range project?

EDIT: I am very interested on other people's opinions on these..
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

That particular driver is fairly widely recognized as having excellent quality. The overall speaker design doesn't look bad- but you have to be realistic when you're thinking about "loud". It's a single 4" driver, so if you ask it to produce any kind of bass it will be severely limited in how loud it can go.

The overall execution is better than a lot of the old "full range" projects that folks used to swear by. At least this one has a corrective filter for baffle step, etc, but it still has the problem of directing all of the high frequency sound dead-ahead in a beam. It'd just require you to pay attention to setting it up in your room, and then sit in the "sweet spot" for good sound.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I heard it at Iowa. It was good. The W4 is a great driver. Its a 4" driver, so don't expect full range bass.

I think that Wolf's box is probably more complex than it needs to be. Jed has a similar design, but a more straightforward enclosure.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• its_bacon12
        • May 2008

Oh I'd definitely be incorporating a subwoofer up to about 100 Hz.. Anything above that would be the FR driver

Comment

• its_bacon12
          • May 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
          I heard it at Iowa. It was good. The W4 is a great driver. Its a 4" driver, so don't expect full range bass.

I think that Wolf's box is probably more complex than it needs to be. Jed has a similar design, but a more straightforward enclosure.
          http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27583

ooooh I like the R4's ALOT. I think I'm gonna do those instead.

Comment

• MuaDibb
            • Oct 2006

I heard this speaker at the DIY in Lexington, right after I played my D4's. It sounded very good for a full range, but it sounds better with a tweeter.
            Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• dawg1161
              • May 2006

I built the F4's and they sound awesome (thanks Jed) and even better with a sub.

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Thanks Gentlemen. The F4 is a nice little design (affordable), but I agree with MuaDibb that the tweeter makes a HUGE difference in sound quality. The response on a full range Lineup F4 or Wolf's design might look flat up to 20k on axis, but the dispersion is lacking and that makes the sound a bit less exciting to listen to. It's more of a sin of omission- so to speak.

Comment

• Saurav
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

I always thought the best use for a good fullrange driver was as a 'wide' midrange. Give it the help it needs at the top and bottom, and you could have a very nice speaker.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"