X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dumaresq
    • Mar 2008

Silly newbie answer about BSC

I am sure everyone else already knew this, but since I have never tried to design a crossover I had no idea. Everyone kept talking about BSC but I couldn't figure out what is was

I googled it today and found this site, it is very non technical but it made a lot of sense to me:

Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:30 Thursday. Reason: Update url
  • Winter
    • Nov 2007

See also the following links on baffle step compensation:

ESP - The Audio Pages. Baffle Step Compensation. How it works, and why you may need it. Includes details of how to build your own.

6dB attenuation is full baffle step compensation. The baffle step effect is approximately 2dB/octave over a three octave band for a total of 6 dB. Generally speakers apply 3 to 4db of attenuation for compensation. As the upper end frequency output of the woofer as been lowered 3 to 4dB, the tweeter output must also be attenuated to match, thus lowering overall speaker sensitivity.

Also, frequently the BSC compensation is applied by increasing the value of the large inductor in the woofer crossover, resulting in a mild sloping attenuation in the woofer crossover transfer function frequency response starting around 200Hz (electrical output to the woofer) .
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:32 Thursday. Reason: Update urls

Comment

• dumaresq
      • Mar 2008

I had tried searching the forum but I didn't know what the acronym stood for, it made it hard to find because so many posts have BSC in them

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"