Statement Q's that I haven't noticed for my build.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timdog
    • Apr 2008

Statement Q's that I haven't noticed for my build.

I am in the process of building my enclosures for the full size statements. I saw in in Mikela's build that he relieved the 5" waveguides 3/16" for the Founteks...but I do not recall seeing that anywhere else. Is this a necessary step? I don't have the tweets yet, and can't find any dimensions anywhere and recalled the post...
    Here is his pic

from his post
    Hi folks, Well I have decided to take the plunge and build three identical sealed Statements. I plan on placing these behind a 10' wide SMX 2.37 acoustically transparent screen. I have a full Magnepan 1.6QR 5.1 system but feel that I will end up with placement issues with the screen. Mangepan's higher end systems have ribbons

Thanks all in advance...it's been fun so far.

Tim
    Last edited by theSven; 25 August 2023, 18:41 Friday. Reason: Update image location and url
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

it will be a necessary step if you want the tweeter to fit
    -Chuck

Comment

• timdog
      • Apr 2008

Yes, but what are the dimensions? I have the 3/16" relief, but what about width and depth?

Thanks
      Tim

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, I just kinda test fit it and routed accordingly. Sorry! I'm sure someone else will have them. You can see from the picture it's not all that much width and depth:

Click image for larger version

Name:	neocd3.0m.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	948546
        Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 08:45 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
        -Chuck

Comment

• timdog
          • Apr 2008

Thanks Chuck...maybe I'll just start with a 2.5x3.5 from the looks of it in the pic.

Or maybe I'll just wait and start the other enclosure.

Tim

Comment

• shame302
            • Apr 2008

i just did mine. on both the top and bottom i went 1 1/8 wide on center, 1" into the box (toward the back) and 3/16 to a 1/4 deep if that makes any sense.
            Psudo HTPC, Nuforce AVP 16, Emotiva XPA 5, Statements mains and center, Dayton in wall rears, Twin Tempest X 7CUFT sealed, and very cool and understanding wife!

Comment

• dumaresq
              • Mar 2008

Wow thanks for point this out, I didn't notice this would be needed, I would have glued everything together and then had to figure out some way to fix it

Comment

• timdog
                • Apr 2008

Think I have it...on the fountek website they had a drawing and the rearward dimensions are 70mm back (2.87 in) and 60mm across (2.36) and I will just do teh 3/16" deep recess.
                Thanks Shame...after adding the baffle it would be about an inch into the box...guess I should've just waited for someone to answer up that did it.
                Thanks again.

Here is the link to the doc
                neocd3.pdf
                Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 08:46 Saturday. Reason: Attach PDF

Comment

• timdog
                  • Apr 2008

Another question...
                  Is the difference between port location from below the speaker to behind the speaker a huge deal? I didn't get the spikes and am not sure how big of an issue that is. I have tile floors where the speakers will be.
                  Thanks,
                  Tim

Comment

• shame302
                    • Apr 2008

you can do a rear port if you like...
                    Psudo HTPC, Nuforce AVP 16, Emotiva XPA 5, Statements mains and center, Dayton in wall rears, Twin Tempest X 7CUFT sealed, and very cool and understanding wife!

Comment

• Curt C
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by timdog
                      Another question...
                      Is the difference between port location from below the speaker to behind the speaker a huge deal? I didn't get the spikes and am not sure how big of an issue that is. I have tile floors where the speakers will be.
                      Thanks,
                      Tim
                      There will be no audible difference between the bottom and rear port.

C
                      Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Ray Collins
                        • Mar 2006

I begin my center channel build today(in a few hours). It appears that with 3 3/4" of space between the top of the tunnel and the underside of the top of the box I have plenty of clearance and will not need to provide relief for the tweeter. ???

Ray
                        Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                        BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• timdog
                          • Apr 2008

Ray,

I am not sure, but it depends on the placement of the tweeter. I think the vertical dimension is 3.39"...but again, I do not have them yet (thanks madisound...and I guess all you statement builders) so I would wait for someone with experience.

Actually here is Nates pic with a definate recess.

from this thread
                          I'm finally going to begin ordering all the parts of the statements later this week and begin construction soon. However, this will be my first build and I probably will end up with a bunch of questions. If you can please bare with me, here are a few questions I currently have: 1) Is the BOM still valid, as far as all the

Tim
                          Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 08:42 Saturday. Reason: Update image location and htguide url

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ray Collins
                            I begin my center channel build today(in a few hours). It appears that with 3 3/4" of space between the top of the tunnel and the underside of the top of the box I have plenty of clearance and will not need to provide relief for the tweeter. ???

Ray
                            I had to route out some relief for the tweeter on my center channel build for sure.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Ray Collins
                              • Mar 2006

Thanks Guys. I guess a little relief couldn't hurt in anticipation of fitting the tweets since the box will be complete before they arrive.

Ray
                              Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                              BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• timdog
                                • Apr 2008

I just completed the x-overs while I was smoking a pork butt starting at midnight...good eats, okay x-overs.
                                I am posting a link in case they may be helpful to anyone at this stage in the game.

Image not available

I have gleaned a ton of info from the Statement builds here, so maybe this will help someone as well. I put them together with just the BOM materials and solder...no pretty strips here I am afraid. I intended to keep the wire connections on the front and the remaining connections soldered in the rear, but I missed the mids + connection which is on the back. I labeled the connections with the component values...e.g "10R 4mh 3.9CAP" is the 10 ohm resistor, 4mh inductor and 3.9microF Cap all soldered on that electrical point.

I think every other bit of info can be found in the various build threads, to which I thank all of you for your Q's that I might not have asked and ideas that I stole :lol:

Tim
                                Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 08:47 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• timdog
                                  • Apr 2008

Oh yeah, if you move over the photo when it is in the right window, you can select a larger size...sorry about the poor DOF, but you can pick out the key parts.
                                  I stacked the tweeter components over the woofer. The mids are on their own board. This way I can fit them down through the shelf brace and velcro them in place while testing. There aren't any issue with the components being down there with the port are there???
                                  I think I am going to get the foambymail treatment instead of fiberglass since I am going ported, how much treatment does each speaker need...I'm thinking like 8 square feet for the woofer compartments, am I off in that regard?
                                  I know about the 1" flat for the mid tunnels
                                  Tim

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Dude, you need to lay off Madisound. They do the best they can for a very small company, and usually treat people great.
                                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• timdog
                                      • Apr 2008

So how about my Q's? Any guess as to the impact on the ported area with the X-overs in there? Or concerning the acoustic foam?

Tim
                                      Last edited by ThomasW; 02 June 2008, 16:36 Monday.

Comment

• impala454
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2007

I will be very interested to see how the silver ones look. I'd think they'd look great w/the TB mids. Can't wait to see some pics!
                                        -Chuck

Comment

• timdog
                                          • Apr 2008

I think I will end up painting them...it looks like the face plate comes off. My entertainment center is cherry with brushed aluminum handles, so the shiny silver may look awkward ...especially sandwiched between those titanium coned mids. I will take pics though...I may even like it...err, the wife may like it.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2002

What part of "out of stock" on the Madisound webpage don't you understand?

Comment

• timdog
                                              • Apr 2008

Wow, this madisound thing has some people messed up, it isn't a big deal. They weren't listed as out of stock somewhere around 13 June. They were listed as being in stock on the 20th. I ordered on the 16th with the same status and then received a call about the order coming in on the 20th. Aprreciate everyones concern with Madisound, who still is going to make a bunch of money selling Fountek tweeters, but for the statements they will either be silver or the rectangular faceplate.
                                              Can you turn off the bright lights now?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2002

Sorry Tim, the Grinch made me do it.

FWIW, it's not just Madisound. All the US resellers ran out at about the same time because their orders didn't come in from Fountek. It caught them all by surprise.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Since the locked thread wasn't a sufficient clue.....

The next new post or old edited post bitching about Madisound is going to get someone banned from this forum permanently.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• timdog
                                                    • Apr 2008

Silver faced FOUNTEK (statements)

A couple of people were wondering about the silver faceplate in the statement design...here is a link to them:

Images not available

They aren't as shiny as they look...they do have a surface like the black ones do (as best as I can tell from the internet pics)...I thought they were finished to look like chrome plating. This is not the case.

Tim
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 08:49 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image lnk

Comment

• impala454
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2007

still looks pretty good though IMHO
                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• timdog
                                                        • Apr 2008

I agree, I don't think I'll take the time to paint them as they do look pretty good as is. On a side note, I got my order of acoustic foam in and instead of 1" foam, they added more 2" wedge foam. Is there any problem using the 2" in the mid tunnels? It looks as if I can cut of the tips of the wedges to get them closer to the 1", which is what I will probably do since I have so much extra now...
                                                        Tim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by timdog
                                                          I agree, I don't think I'll take the time to paint them as they do look pretty good as is. On a side note, I got my order of acoustic foam in and instead of 1" foam, they added more 2" wedge foam. Is there any problem using the 2" in the mid tunnels? It looks as if I can cut of the tips of the wedges to get them closer to the 1", which is what I will probably do since I have so much extra now...
                                                          Tim
                                                          Hi Tim,

Yep, I think 2" would be a bit much but if you can cut it down, you should be OK. If you think the mids are to recessed, get 1" foam. It'll be an easy fix.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"