X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mediafreak
    • Apr 2008

Line Source/Array with only NEO8 + sub?

Would it be possible to make a well sounding line array with only the NEO8’s + a sub in each side? Normally an array is built as 2-ways.

BG is informing that the NEO8 non PDR can be used down to 220Hz. 3 array lines with 7 NEO8 in each = 21 units in each side. Mount the mid array 2-mm. behind the sides so the units can share the mount holes in the middle. Total with of the arrays is 2x3,1” + 3,5” = 9,6” or 245mm; this is not wider than a woofer line + mid/tweeter! :T

I am using a DENON A11-XVA amplifier. It can divide the sub at 200 or 250Hz by 24 or 48db/okt.

Is this an interesting construction?
    3x7 NEO8 units (400W AES power) with no x-over and a smooth baffle front! :T
    DENON built in active x-over 24/48dB. by 200 or 250Hz.
    Maby use of DENON built-in EQ
    2 active subs (R+L side) with a mono signal playing up to 200 or 250Hz.
    Mediafreak
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Don't even think about using the Neo8's at 250 Hz. They simply won't make it. Even at 48 dB / Oct, I think it's a really bad idea - they'll be distorting like crazy at that point.
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mediafreak
      BG is informing that the NEO8 non PDR can be used down to 220Hz.
      If you do that buy them by the gross because you'll be destroying them every other day...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rick Craig
        • Jul 2006

I have several Neo8PDR's here that were requested by a customer for a line array design. I'll post my tests on them when I'm finished. Based on my test of the Neo10 I can tell you that you cannot cross the 8's at 250hz.

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

I believe there's a line array design with the Neo8. I think I saw it at Stereomojo.

The reference speakers used for the shootout are prototypes of the most hotly anticipated speakers in recent memory – the AV123 LS6. Due to be released soon, the speakers have already sold hundreds by way of preorders – people buying them without ever hearing them.
          Hyperbole aside, perhaps that speaker can give you an idea on how to work with the Neo8's.
          Last edited by ThomasW; 26 May 2008, 10:54 Monday.
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• Mediafreak
            • Apr 2008

Overloading the NEO8 or not?

Originally posted by ThomasW
            If you do that buy them by the gross because you'll be destroying them every other day...
            Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but if 21 units are sharing 150W (really loud) it is less than 8W each. Would that destroy the units by 250Hz 48dB/okt.?
            Mediafreak

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The recommended crossover points stated by B&G have always been stuipd. And the fact that they keep raising and raising the XO points in their assembled speakers points to this....

For example, they state the big RD-75 planars can run as low as 150Hz, this is absolute nonsense. We tested them and they sound best XO'ed at 500Hz-650Hz.

Our testing of the Neo8's showed us they really need a 1200Hz XO to work 'best'.

For any planar to play lowish in the passband, the planar needs to have a LARGE radiating element. Look at the Magnepans for examples of this.

If you want a skinny line array you're better off to go with cone drivers with a single horn loaded tweeter mounted at ear height.

An example of this is Jim Griffin's 'Needles' design. A google search will give you information about this design.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mediafreak
                • Apr 2008

BG’s recommendations

Originally posted by ThomasW
                The recommended crossover points stated by B&G have always been stuipd. And the fact that they keep raising and raising the XO points in their assembled speakers points to this....

For example, they state the big RD-75 planars can run as low as 150Hz, this is absolute nonsense. We tested them and they sound best XO'ed at 500Hz-650Hz.

Our testing of the Neo8's showed us they really need a 1200Hz XO to work 'best'.

For any planar to play lowish in the passband, the planar needs to have a LARGE radiating element. Look at the Magnepans for examples of this.

Surely you are right concerning the 1200 Hz. “best” XO – you have heard them by 1200 – I have not - thanks. :T

I am just surprised because BG’s recommendation for the NEO3 non-PDR in an array is down to 1KHz. and 1,2 for the PDR version – AND BG is following their own guidelines in their R-800 speakers that are using a 1,5 KHz. XO with a gentle order for their 16 NEO3’s. It seems to be according their own recommendations! :roll:

Sooo.. I was just guessing their guidelines for the NEO8’s was useful; at the other hand – it is difficult for the radiating elements to simulate the energy from a cone woofer. :E
                Mediafreak
                Last edited by ThomasW; 28 May 2008, 10:17 Wednesday.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Mediafreak
                  Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but if 21 units are sharing 150W (really loud) it is less than 8W each. Would that destroy the units by 250Hz 48dB/okt.?
                  Mediafreak
                  Short answer: yes.

Also, the Neo8's FR can't reach 250 Hz at 48 dB's / oct.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"