old Vifa A17WG-01 4ohm coaxial... how to design crossover?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SQconstable
    • Mar 2005

old Vifa A17WG-01 4ohm coaxial... how to design crossover?

I've built a center channel with this speaker before but I didn't build the crossover. I took a chance and just used some leftover Boston Acoustics ones from 20 years ago. The result? It actually sounded great for center channel. That center channel design used a pair of these coaxials in a ported box, tuned by my ears. I have one of these left, which I'm dedicating more airspace... about .60 cu. ft. First trying sealed for simplicity, but I may end up porting it. I'm trying to find the whitepaper specs on this woofer but I only came up with the following, from a 1997 price list:

A17WG-01
    61¤2“ Coax
    FS = 58Hz
    Qts = .60
    Vas = 15 Liters
    Xmax = 3mm
    Power = 60w
    dB sens = 87
    $55.00

I'm not sure how they find specs like these on a coaxial without a supplied crossover. Perhaps maybe at some point, there was one accompanying it. It seems difficult to extract the characteristics of the tweeter and woofer separately based on the above info. What should I do from here if I want to figure a parts list for the x-over? I would greatly appreciate some direction on this one.
  • SQconstable
    • Mar 2005

Hmm maybe this isn't the best thing to use for a center channel? It was developed by Audio Innovations (Rockford Corp) and seems to basically be a vifa woofer with a pole through the middle, holding a tweeter in the middle. The size of the tweeter in the middle is 2.5", including the plate for it. The actual tweeter is a 1" cloth. I'll take a picture later.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

You can find graphs to trace and model in a crossover design software after processing minimum phase, or take your own measurements.

Comment

• SQconstable
        • Mar 2005

Thanks. I'll look up minimum phase and also crossover design software.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Roman has a nice website that outlines some of this information. www.rjbaudio.com under the audiophiles section.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"