X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprint_9
    • Jul 2007

Neo D Alternate BOM

Ok, so hinging on some developments in the coming months I may or may not build this speaker sooner rather then later. Anyhow I want to move ahead with the planing process and try to decide on either Neo, Khanspires, RS3 way, or mini Statements. So if a deal comes along I can buy.

I really kind of like the Neo since I can use it for a matched LCR combo, and maybe someday for rears as well. I think this stands out for home theather and will hopefully work as a good music speaker as well. Ok anyhow, some of the hold back is the cost, which is why I made this thread. Ive gone through and swaped out the components of Jon's BOM for cheaper ones.

This is what I came up with

Woofer

L1 - Erse 14G Perfect 1.2 mH DCR .24 +.4 P
    L2 - Solen 14awg Perfect Lay .47 mH DCR .13 +.1 M
    C1 - Dayton MPP 100 uF P
    C2 - Dayton MPP 25 uF P

Mid

C4 - Dayton MPP 25 uF P
    L3 - Alpha Core Goertz 0.47mH 16 AWG DCR .17 +.1 M
    C8 - 3 X .1 uF Dayton Film & Foil P
    L4 - Erse 14awg Perfect 1.8 mH No change P
    C5 - Dayton MPP 6.8 uF P

Mid Zobel

L7 – Jantzen 18awg air 1.8 mH No change P
    C9 – Solen 100 uF MPP M
    C10 – Solen 3.9 uF MPP M

Tweeter

C6 - Dayton MPP 6.8 uF P
    L5 - Alpha Core Goertz 0.27mH 16 AWG No change M
    C7 - Solen 35 uF MPP M
    L6 – Jantzen 15awg Air 1.5 mH No change P
    C11 - Dayton MPP 6.2 uF p

Woofer
    Stock Cheap
    L1 – 49.80 – 21.10
    L2 – 31.96 – 14.50
    C1 – 26.50 - 21.00
    C2 – 8.75 – 6.58

Mid

C4 – 30.10 – 6.58
    L3 – 16.64 – 13.85
    C8 - .89 X3
    L4 – 27.71
    C5 – 10.95 – 2.53

Mid Zobel

L7 – 9.44
    C9 – 26.50
    C10 – 2.75

Tweeter

C6 – 10.95 – 2.53
    L5 – 15.50 – 11.85
    C7 – 11.60
    L6 – 17.52
    C11 – 3.30 – 2.41

Savings of around 86 from the stock layout

Kind of hard to read, I highlighted any DCR changes in red. I changed L5 but DCR remained the same. I left the Midrange Zobel the same as well, caps and inductors, I read a statment from Jon stating that he would stick with those components due to the pulses it deals with, so I stuck with Solen caps. I also Kept C7 as a Solen, Dayton doesnt have a 35 uf cap and by the time I bought a 30 and a 5 it was almost the same as a single Solen from Madisound. Let me know what you think, Thanks for the help.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

I'm no crossover guru, but it looks fine to me. The biggest difference is on L2 and is ~20%, which is large, but we're talking the difference between 0.20 and 0.24ohm. Jon and Thomas maybe can hear a differences, but I don't think it would matter much to mortals. Maybe CJD can voice his opinion, he is pretty reasonable (not the Thomas and Jon aren't.)

The other two are like 6% off, which is almost within the tolerance margin of most of the parts.

I'm cheap. I might be tempted on L3 to buy the Jatzen 15ga. The DCR is 0.20 versus 0.16ohm for the foil. Saves another 8$/ea.

I honestly do hope you build these. You're close enough that you could then bring them up to my place and see if you made the right decision. In all honestly though, I would really love to hear Jon's design.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• sprint_9
      • Jul 2007

Yea it would be cool to get them built for the Iowa DIY 08 event. I was comparing pricing tonight and thought I had a deal going with this Neo vs. the Nat P, then I realized I was pricing one Neo compared to a pair of Nat P's :E

Their are so many good designs out there by some great designers, its tough to pick one and kind of stick with it. One minute I think I should just go cheap and go Nat P, the other im thinkin go big with the Khan's, then I think might as well go high end with the Neo, then after looking at pricing I come back to either the Mini Statement or the RS 3 way. Its a viscious cycle :twisted:

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Just do the Neo's :B Any of those speakers would be excellent honestly. The Nat P's being of the lowest but still very nice speakers. I think the RS 3 Ways and the Khans are pretty close in price so I'd probably go towards the Khans or Mini Statements as both of those would probably be close in price to the RS 3 Ways. Unless of course your talking about the huge MTMWW ones? If you can afford it though the Neo's are supposed to be excellent

Comment

• sprint_9
          • Jul 2007

Meant the little 3 ways, not the monsters.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Thats what I figured.

Comment

• Ray Collins
              • Mar 2006

Same dilemma

I am at the same crossroads...I can not decide between the Statements and the Modula NeoD. I thought I would build the Center Channel and if I liked it I would build the matching LR and surrounds. Fortunately I do not have a budget restraint...a benefit of being old I suppose.

Ray
              Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
              BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well the NeoD's are all the same speaker so I'm guessing your talking about the Statements. Honestly John said the NeoD was the best speaker he has ever designed....and he's no slouch So I'm going to have to say there probably isn't a better design on the forums. It does have the Dueland crossover and what not.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I suppose I should clarify so people don't get confused....

The NeoDcc is the 'best design' Jon's created using relatively modestly priced drive units. It's certainly not the 'best speaker' he's ever created. I'm not splitting hairs here, what I'm saying is that within the performance limitations of the drivers used the NeoDcc is the most sophisticated design Jon's ever created. Were the design to use extremely high-end drive units it would be an even better speaker, but the cost would go up by a factor of 5-10 times.

The NeoDcc is likely the most neutral sounding speaker I've ever heard. My initial impression was that they were maybe too understated and perhaps 'homogenizing' the sound. Having lived with a pair since October of 07 I can say that initial impression wasn't accurate. They're revealing enough that powering them a succession of better amps resulted in better sound. And they can be listened to for hours on end with virtually no listener fatigue. So if one's goal is to have a speaker that screams "LOOK AT ME!", don't build the NeoDcc's

Regarding the cost of the crossover, yes it's expensive. But consider that a speaker like this has a life span of 5-10yrs. So the cost of the higher priced XO amortized over that time period means a difference of pennies per day..

As for the 'tolerance' of inductors, unlike caps inductor tolerances are very tight. So a 20% shift when used in a design as tightly spec'ed as the NeoDcc is a big deal. 5% isn't an issue..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Hey Sprint,

Not to throw another speaker in the mix for consideration, but you could try my MaxxL16CC in a multi-speaker setup as well. It works as a CC and regular stand mount speaker turned on its side like the Neo D.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...65&postcount=3.

This was and probably still is the flattest measuring speaker of my Lineup Series. It can be ported or sealed depending on your needs and the sound of the TB W4 1337 can't be beat. Parts count is reasonable as well.

Jed

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"