X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ray Collins
    • Mar 2006

Mixed materials build & veneer questions

I am going to build a center channel for my HT and want your opinions on using mixed materials I have birch plywood, sandply and MDF all of which are 3/4" thick scraps left over from other builds. I intend to veneer the finished enclosure.

1. Do you think dissimilar materials will be a negative factor on the performance?

2. Will the veneer work over dissimilar surfaces and does veneer work well over plywood?

In case it will influence your thoughts I intend to build either the Statement CC or the Modula NeoD CC.

Thanks,

Ray
    Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
  • 69Stingray
    • Feb 2007

Not sure what "sand ply" is, but I don't think mixed materials will have a huge impact on performance. Can you keep the side walls, top and bottom the same and only have different materials on the front and back? Just thinking of a way to manage the different shrink and thermal expansion rates.

You should be able to veneer over both MDF and birch plywood (assuming a smooth surface). Just be careful of plywood edges.

Comment

• Ray Collins
      • Mar 2006

Thanks Vett...
      That's pretty much my conclusion. Sandply is a basic cabnet grade plywood with few or no voids and low ply. I was more concerned with the veneering of plywood and its texture as a substrate.

I have had two martinies and wine with dinner so if this is incohherrinet plueace furgeve mee.

Raay
      Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
      BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"