X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doohic
    • May 2008

1st DIY Sonotube/Theater-Sub Venture Looking for Help

To start im looking into drivers. I have experiance with car subwoofers but not really any home subs or set-ups. I am currently looking at a Cadence Beast 12" DVC Special Edition (1200 watts 600/vc). Im going to beable to get my hands on it for around $100 bucks.

Cadence Beast 12" DVC Special Edition

Im looking to power it with a mackie 1400

Currently im going back and forth on the enclosure sonotube.

Does anyone have any experiance/thoughts on using this type of driver? DVC car sub? Should I be looking at different brands/style subs for home audio? I use two 12" cadence beasts in a ported box for my car and I love them.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not having the T/S parameters makes it a little difficult to comment.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

The only meaningful specs I could find are Fs = 32 Hz, Xmax = a bit over 1" and mounting depth = 5". The Fs is way too high for home use. I mention the mounting depth because there's no way a 1" Xmax driver could be that shallow. Most likely they are measuring Xmax peak-peak and the real Xmax is half that, in other words nothing special.

I think you can do a lot better for not much more money.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• doohic
          • May 2008

Yeah, i havnt been able to find any specs on the sub either, Im not sure if its the DB model here.. but i suppose if it was it is still probably not what i want.

Im not in a hurry by any means. I was just trying to jump on a decent deal. UPS just dropped of my new receiver and I hooked that up last night. An Onkyo 575.

I have a few places im thinking about putting the sonotube. If I go with a certain area I'll be looking at 16" diameter and I'll have around 16' to use in length.

Speaker hunt continues. A friend of mine has alot of experiance with mackie amps and I'll probably be using the same. Maybe their new model the Mackie FR-1400

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The criteria for car audio dB drag-racing is a little different than that for home audio.

If you go with a Behringer EP-2500 as opposed to the Mackie, you'll save enough money to buy a driver that's more appropriate for home audio use.

You'll get more bang for you money if you can use a 15" driver. Using a 15" means using 20" dia tube.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

This is the best bang for the buck in a high-quality home sub right now. You might be able to fit it into a 16" tube but it would be tight.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

I agree w/ Dennis that the Tempest is the best value. I linked to the Shiva, because the initial post seemed to indicate 12" and budget.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"