X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dumaresq
    • Mar 2008

MTMWW and Statements

I am building the statements and I am very sure I can't afford to build the MTMWW after that, I am just wondering if anyone has done a side by side of these two designs, what's your opinion which ones do what better? the MTMWW is quite a bit more expensive, is it much better, or are they just different?
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Do you mean the mini-statements? In which case it is a TMWW design. I'm not aware of a MTMWW Statement design.

In any case, the advantage of the dual mids is lower distortion etc. and the RS225s will have more slam down low. You get what you pay for.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

The other option are the Dayton MTMWW's that are still not named... RS270, RS180, RS28A.

In which case, they're WAY better. No seriously, I have no idea. The Khanspires are the little brothers of the bigger 3-ways in many ways, but I think the MTMWW's will have slightly more laid back sound and of course they reach deeper if you compare sealed to sealed. That's the closest comparison I think you'll find though.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• dumaresq
        • Mar 2008

I am asking about the statements (full) compared to the MTMWW RS 3-way cjd's.

Comment

• dumaresq
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by cjd
          The other option are the Dayton MTMWW's that are still not named... RS270, RS180, RS28A.

In which case, they're WAY better. No seriously, I have no idea. The Khanspires are the little brothers of the bigger 3-ways in many ways, but I think will have slightly more laid back sound and of course they reach deeper if you compare sealed to sealed. That's the closest comparison I think you'll find though.
          I think you should call them "The Monsters" at least until someone builds a bigger speaker

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Most important: I updated my previous comment to clarify which speakers were more laid back.

"The Monsters"... no no, that's Trademark territory...

"The things you feared that lived under your bed when you were a kid"

TTYFTLUYBWYWAK?

hmm. no, that doesn't ring right either.

C

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

the "OMG"s?
              -Chuck

Comment

• dumaresq
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by cjd
                Most important: I updated my previous comment to clarify which speakers were more laid back.

"The Monsters"... no no, that's Trademark territory...

"The things you feared that lived under your bed when you were a kid"

TTYFTLUYBWYWAK?

hmm. no, that doesn't ring right either.

C
                I wouldn't want to step on anyone's trademark...

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

BFG's and no thats not a trademark It's used in many many games.

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    BFG's and no thats not a trademark It's used in many many games.
                    Close..... BFS maybe? (it's a speaker not a gun)

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dumaresq
                      I am building the statements and I am very sure I can't afford to build the MTMWW after that, I am just wondering if anyone has done a side by side of these two designs, what's your opinion which ones do what better? the MTMWW is quite a bit more expensive, is it much better, or are they just different?

I've heard my Khans almost side-by-side with the Statements. The Khans sound very similar to the OMG, Monster, Divorce-Makers. Both are great. I don't think I really was able to listen long enough to make a fair comparison. The Statements have a more open airy sound. The Khans can sound somewhat boring next to them, but to me they just sound really natural. Everything sounds exactly the way I expect. In my short time, I prefered mine, but that is to be expected.

That isn't saying the Statements aren't natural. Lots of very happy owners. If you can't afford the big Statements, consider the MiniStatements.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

If powered properly it could be considered a gun Or maybe a sound wave gun

Comment

• Jonasz
                          • Nov 2004

Most important: I updated my previous comment to clarify which speakers were more laid back. "The Monsters"... no no, that's Trademark territory... "The things you feared that lived under your bed when you were a kid" TTYFTLUYBWYWAK? hmm. no, that doesn't ring right either. C
                          The REX's? ;x(

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2001

So my big speakers are more laid back than the Khans? Wow! Yeah, we need a name. I think something to do with dynamics and big drums because that's where they impress me the most. But that's also what I like the most in most musical pieces.

I guess we could use my last name and call them the Bunges. It actually fits. Bunge was the occupational name in Germany for a kettle drummer in an orchestra. I just found this out a couple of years ago. Ironically, I've always been partial to drums and other percussion instruments.

Comment

• Jonasz
                              • Nov 2004

TOP Tower Of Power :B

The SledgehammeRS 8)

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                                So my big speakers are more laid back than the Khans? Wow! Yeah, we need a name. I think something to do with dynamics and big drums because that's where they impress me the most. But that's also what I like the most in most musical pieces.

I guess we could use my last name and call them the Bunges. It actually fits. Bunge was the occupational name in Germany for a kettle drummer in an orchestra. I just found this out a couple of years ago. Ironically, I've always been partial to drums and other percussion instruments.
                                Brian,

Did you and Wade ever get a chance to get together? The real comparison is in a listening room, listening to music you're familiar with, rather than listening at a DIY event. DIY events give you a real sense of the speaker charachter but the true test is at home.

IMHO, the W4-1337SA's offer some of the best midrange I've ever heard. Add the open back and it's an Excel, Revelator and Accuton competitor or dare I say, killer? I've not even mentioned how sweet the ribbons sound. :T

All my opinion of course. YMMV....

Jim

Comment

• maynardg
                                  • Jan 2007

Khan's and Statements

My impression of the two is that if your preference goes toward detail, choose the Statements, if you have a preference for smooth, you may prefer the Khan's.

Both are very impressive - and very big.

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by maynardg
                                    My impression of the two is that if your preference goes toward detail, choose the Statements, if you have a preference for smooth, you may prefer the Khan's.

Both are very impressive - and very big.
                                    That's the opposite of what I have heard before (or at least, understood from what I've heard before.) Interesting. I suspect a lot of it plays into what kind of detail you listen for.

Brian: I'm not talking a dramatic difference - it's subtle - but yes, the RS180 is a more laid back midrange than the RS150 (if you want to think of it another way, there's a little less energy from ~1000-2kHz ish).

Jim: you DO like your distortion don't you.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2001

Chris,

OK, gotcha!

So no comments or ideas on the name? Come on Mr. Classical Music Man!

Or should I say Mr. Classically Trained Musician?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                        That's the opposite of what I have heard before (or at least, understood from what I've heard before.) Interesting. I suspect a lot of it plays into what kind of detail you listen for.

Jim: you DO like your distortion don't you.
                                        Chris,

I can't stand distortion which is why we optimized the Statements drivers to all be used in their ultra low distortion range.

Here's where I get beat up. I'm of the opinion that every driver has a sonic signature unique to it's design and perhaps, more importantly, to the cone material. More specifically, how that cone material was implemented in the driver design. I'm also of the opinion that measured distortion is important but it's just one of the tools used in driver selection, "not the only one".

Tweeters are a whole different discussion. If you notice, we used the ribbons in the Statements designs where they are very low distortion. Curt obviously considered distortion in the design process and used the NeoCD3.0's where they shine.

All of this discussion is about looking at graphs and numbers. What really matters is what does it sound like when it's implemented? There is a difference in the sound quality of the RS drivers and the W4-1337SA's. Both are excellent drivers but I prefer the W4's by a significant margin. They have the clarity, detail and natural sound that I've found to not quite be there in "every" RS design I've built (many) and heard. I also find ribbons to be much more "real" sounding than the domes I've heard. Ribbons have a finesse that domes simply miss, IMHO.

I didn't make those comments to start a pissing match or mine's bigger than yours argument. I'm just stating an opinion. Of course, opinions are worth exactly what it cost to hear them. $0.00

YMMV... :B

Jim

Comment

• ahaik
                                          • Feb 2007

Hi,
                                          I'll start by stating that I never had the chance to listen to any of the dayton
                                          3 ways.
                                          I do own the Modula MT and the RS52 microbes. My brother has the Modula MTM's and I have listened to them extensively.
                                          Although I really like all three very much, IMHO the statements in the mid area are much more refined and the margin is NOT slim.
                                          I am assuming that due to the 2 way designs, the woofer needs to work much harder and that may account for some difference.

Asi.

Comment

• Jed
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2005

There seems be a false assumption that the TB W4 1337 has high harmonic distortion. This is not the case at all. In fact it is one of the best drivers I've seen. Pretty close to Accuton C79 performance. Not quite as good, but it also has such a flat frequency response, people tend to somehow forget the importance of that. Here's the most recent test I did of the W4 1337 at about 90db 1 meter. Pretty dang good if you ask me, not much odd order harmonic distortion through the critical 2-5k region. No wonder those who have heard it often prefer it over the RS drivers in similar applications. The TB W4 1337 has a fantastic cone as well. It is very lightweight and the incredible "quickness" is clearly audible and special. Dispersion and off axis response favors the smaller driver as well. No problem crossing these as high as 4k.

I was also pleasantly suprised after I tested a fairly recent sample of the Fountek CD3.0M tweeter. Where most will cross at 4K, it also has excellent performance. So, this idea that all RS systems have much lower distortion is not based on fact or real comparison testing because although it might have a bit lower levels of some harmonic distortion, my money is on the W4 1337 because of the attributes I outlined above. Gotta look at the complete picture and SYSTEM and sum of the parts and how the strengths of each driver are utilized over generalizations about trends of product lines.

Fountek CD3.0M latest sample:
                                            Last edited by Jed; 16 May 2008, 17:24 Friday.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Now that's what I was talkin' about..... :rofl:

Thanks Jed! :T

Jim

Comment

• mikela
                                                • Mar 2008

Jed,

Thanks for the objective information.

Mike

Comment

• Saurav
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2004

Did you measure the CD3.0 to lower frequencies? I'm curious about how low you can go before distortion starts to become a problem. I think I've seen some projects where these are used with ~2k crossovers.

Also, does anyone know the difference between these tweeters and the older JP2.0/3.0 models?

Comment

• dumaresq
                                                    • Mar 2008

Wow I opened a big can of worms To bad I have nothing useful to add

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                      • Nov 2004

Bought a couple of 1337's before moving to Sweden, happy to see the good plots! :T :B

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Saurav
                                                        Did you measure the CD3.0 to lower frequencies? I'm curious about how low you can go before distortion starts to become a problem. I think I've seen some projects where these are used with ~2k crossovers.

Also, does anyone know the difference between these tweeters and the older JP2.0/3.0 models?

http://www.fountek.net/products_neo_30.htm
                                                        The only difference is the ribbon element and they are interchangeable with no crossover changes, I'm told.

Jim

Comment

• Jed
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Saurav

http://www.fountek.net/products_neo_30.htm
                                                          I wouldn't use the CD3.0 much below 3K 4th order and I didn't test it lower than what I did because it wasn't my ribbon that was tested. I didn't want the risk of ruining them. JP3.0 has a slightly different ribbon element and from I understand it was less durable.

Comment

• Jed
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jonasz
                                                            Bought a couple of 1337's before moving to Sweden, happy to see the good plots! :T :B

Also it looks like they are backordered till July!

Comment

• Saurav
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Jed
                                                              I wouldn't use the CD3.0 much below 3K 4th order and I didn't test it lower than what I did because it wasn't my ribbon that was tested. I didn't want the risk of ruining them.
                                                              Thanks, that makes sense. I currently have mine crossed at 4.5K LR4, and was considering trying to lower it to 3.5K. Looks like that should be within its capabilities.

Comment

• cjd
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2004

Actually, I just like giving Jim a hard time about his driver choices and the amount of energy he puts into promoting his projects. Also, it's not the driver, but the implementation in this case (at least, with the W4's - ribbon is a different thing) that will change a little of its sonic signature (which is to say, distortion).

He has the option of responding very simply "And you like yours" - something with which I can only agree. Both of us gravitate to very low distortion systems in the first place, which makes this whole discussion silly, in the grand scheme of things.

C

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                  Actually, I just like giving Jim a hard time about his driver choices and the amount of energy he puts into promoting his projects. Also, it's not the driver, but the implementation in this case (at least, with the W4's - ribbon is a different thing) that will change a little of its sonic signature (which is to say, distortion).

He has the option of responding very simply "And you like yours" - something with which I can only agree. Both of us gravitate to very low distortion systems in the first place, which makes this whole discussion silly, in the grand scheme of things.

C
                                                                  Chris,

I knew that you were making a tongue in cheek comment but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to spar a bit. Simply saying "and I like yours" is just to darn easy. Truth be known, I do like the Khans. Of course, I am biased and like the Statements better but that is to be expected.

However, if I were going to build a RS design, The Khans would be my 1st choice. Of course, I'd harass you about changing the tweeter to a 27TBFC/G. :rofl:

All in good fun with a spirited and enlighting discussion.

Jim

Comment

• Jed
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                    Actually, I just like giving Jim a hard time about his driver choices and the amount of energy he puts into promoting his projects.

C
                                                                    I wonder how much stock in TangBand Jim owns?

Comment

• cjd
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2004

I can do the TDFC, which would probably translate to the TBFC/G

Actually, just on paper I would expect the Statements to be low distortion as far as crossover and driver choice goes. There's no denying the extended flat response of a ribbon or the excellent quality of the W4. The RS150 isn't near ideal, I just seem to get lucky with it (though of course, it is superb driver as well - I guess I'm getting picky in my old age!) That open back though, bound to do funky things to presentation. Something most people really like, I think, tweaking timing and thus dimensional characteristics, among other things.

I may still use a ribbon in my next personal project, in fact. I hate padding drivers down though so that'll take some work to get that kinda sensitivity elsewhere! I really want to try to get full range dipole though, so maybe not. Some year. Or decade...

C

Comment

• Saurav
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2004

I may still use a ribbon in my next personal project, in fact. I hate padding drivers down though so that'll take some work to get that kinda sensitivity elsewhere!
                                                                        There's the PHLs and B&Cs that people have been looking at, if you're thinking of a 3-way, but that still leaves the woofers. Not sure what would work in a 2-way and match the ribbons for sensitivity. Maybe a pro 8" or 10", but then you might have a big change in dispersion at the XO frequency.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005
                                                                          • 5204

Boys, boys, boys....

How about this, Jim's should be better, it costs a ~$100 more.
                                                                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3223

Originally posted by Jed
                                                                            I wonder how much stock in TangBand Jim owns?
                                                                            I can't even get a damn discount at PE. :cry:

Jim

Comment

• impala454
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2007
                                                                              • 3814

#39
                                                                              Shoot they need to... I bet you've made them $15-20k off the Statements series alone.
                                                                              -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"