X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stidrvr
    • Sep 2005

Recomemdation For High Performace DIY Theater

As the title states Im thinking on switching my initial ideas of using Infinity Betas to DIY route for speakers. I can no longer get the Beta 50 towers (only once in a while on Ebay). I already have the Infinity 3way center and Bipole surrounds. These will be sold.

My initial thought was the RS 3 way towers, WMTW center, and 2 pair of Nat P used In-wall with BSC removed. The room is still in the framing stages but room size is 13 by 21. There will be 2 rows of seating, the rear row being either 2 or 3 seats. Still undecided there. I recently stumbled upon dwaro's WMT design and thinking this may be another option for rears.

I seen the Statement and the Linemaxx build but Im unsure about the "Dynamics" they would have. Also the NeoD CC is another option, although $500 in xover is getting upthere when you mutiply it by 7 speakers.

I actually built the enclosures for the WMTW center, 2 NatP towers and 2 NatP bookshelfs about 3 years ago. Then I bought a house and had to redirect funds. I have no ploblem building new enclosures.

Im just looking for input from you guys. Thanks
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

You can't "remove" BSC from a crossover, the way most of us do them. It would just be a new crossover.

13x21 you have room to do a false front wall and acoustically transparent screen.

The Statements would be less suited to HT where soundfield is generally in the mixing, though they'd still do superbly I think. The Khanspires might be a better match here. Or the Lineup series.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Chris, I think he means that he will build the existing In-Wall version of the NatP, not that he would try and modify the existing one.

I think your initial thoughts of the RS TMWW as mains and NatPs as rears would be great. If you want to reuse your existing NatP tower boxes, with a big bad subwoofer, you wont be giving up that much over the RS TMWW. The NatPs would probably be a bit better in the midrange and give up a little in the bass. Jim Holtz has had both, and can probably comment more here. I'll also let Jim comment on the Statements.

I have a pair of LineUp D4, and they are fantastic. I'm sure the Lineup Maxx are very nice as well. But, Jed was shooting for a specific size when he designed those, so hopefully he doesn't take offense when I say I think in situations without size restrictions, the better woofer in the Khans would be better - or his 16L variation. But those are getting pricey.

I think the Khans are the best price/performance w/ no size restrictions speaker you're going to find. But I'm biased.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I think Ryan gave a very good analysis of the speakers. I would like to clarify oner thing however, and that is the question about dynamics. The Statements are extremely dynamic and would easily compare to the Khans in that regard. We designed the Statements to be capable of 115 db with peaks exceeding that. I find the Statements to be very close to my linearrays in dynamics at any reasonable listening volume.

All that said, the Khans will be a little less expensive than the Statements and in a pure home theater system, the open back mids will add less to the sound quality than it would in a system that music was also a priority. However, open back mids on the Statements and center do add to an expansive soundstage that a closed back speaker can't do. Keep them about 18" from the wall behind to the back of the speaker though.

Either will do a fine job and give you excellent dynamics and vocal clarity.

Jim

Comment

• stidrvr
          • Sep 2005

You can't "remove" BSC from a crossover
          Chris, I think he means that he will build the existing In-Wall version of the NatP, not that he would try and modify the existing one.
          Ryan is correct. I would use the "inwall" crossover for that NatP's.

I think your initial thoughts of the RS TMWW as mains and NatPs as rears would be great. If you want to reuse your existing NatP tower boxes, with a big bad subwoofer, you wont be giving up that much over the RS TMWW.
          Actually I was talking about the MTMWW RS 3ways, the big boys. I too like large speakers. And the Khanspires are also a possiblity especially now that there is a center available too.

As far as the NatP and towers, I think I will just be using those as rears/sides.

I forgot to add that I will use this room for a little music too.

And the sub will be an IB probally the FI's or the AE's since there local.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
            I have a pair of LineUp D4, and they are fantastic. I'm sure the Lineup Maxx are very nice as well. But, Jed was shooting for a specific size when he designed those, so hopefully he doesn't take offense when I say I think in situations without size restrictions, the better woofer in the Khans would be better - or his 16L variation. But those are getting pricey.

I think the Khans are the best price/performance w/ no size restrictions speaker you're going to find. But I'm biased.
            Ryan, I agree with no size constraints go with a system with 8-10" woofer/s like your Khanspires or CJD's big 3 ways.

The MaxxL16 is actually a bit cheaper than the original Maxx when the W5s are not on sale, because it uses only 2 woofers.

By the way I'm worried that the TB W5 876SD woofers are going to get phased out at PE. Looks like they are on clearance, and that usually means they aren't restocked after they run out. If that IS the case then I'll be redesigning the Maxx with either RS180-4s or RS150-4s to handle the bass section.

Jed

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by stidrvr
              Actually I was talking about the MTMWW RS 3ways, the big boys. I too like large speakers. And the Khanspires are also a possiblity especially now that there is a center available too.

Whhhooooaaaaa Mommmmaaaaa. The big RS 3-ways! I like you're thinking.

But actually, with an IB, I don't think you're gaining much over the Khans. CJD may have other opinions.

For your IB, also consider the drivers from DIYcable.com. CJD has a 4-pack of the new Tempest-X. Nice drivers.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Yeah Jim, I think we're talking similar dynamics-wise for all of these. The only thing that I think makes the Statements less suited is the nature of open back - more diffuse soundfield is GREAT for creating space and dimension in stereo mixed tracks, but perhaps less suited for HT.

If you go with the big 3-ways go 3 across AT screen. Or the Khans. Or Lineups. Or Statements. That room screams AT screen, real theater experience.

Remember, the Khancenter is designed to be placed under a big glass box. Or on top. That IS part of the design, it will not do as well without this. The center I did for the WTMW thread that goes much further back is also a good match - Brian built that and loved it with his MTMWW's.

Oh yeah. I want to add an IB to my living-room setup, if I can get the logistics to work. Cross at 40-50Hz. Push it so it's flat to 8Hz for the big organ pieces. I got a reminder taste of what a real organ can do when we hit the Chicago Symphony for a performance of "The Planets"

C
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                  Yeah Jim, I think we're talking similar dynamics-wise for all of these. The only thing that I think makes the Statements less suited is the nature of open back - more diffuse soundfield is GREAT for creating space and dimension in stereo mixed tracks, but perhaps less suited for HT.
                  Hi Chris,

The only comment I would make is the open back on the Statements line up doesn't create a diffused soundstage at all. It does create great depth in the soundstage with very well defined placement with in that soundstage.

Jim

Comment

• looneybomber
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by stidrvr
                    AE's since there local.
                    Stop by AE. John has some pretty wicked MTM's he's working on. Have a listen and see what you think.

Comment

• Bigdaddy
                      • May 2008

Look at the Khans - my situation is similar to yours and that was my choice after mega research. I am doing the AT screen with matching LCRs in a slightly larger room than yours.

Phil

Comment

• mikela
                        • Mar 2008

Just to weigh in on the use of open back speakers for HT. I have a complete Magnepan 1.6 QR 5.1 system and it is by far the best system I have had in my theater for movies. Due to placement issues with a new 10' wide 2.37 SMX screen, I am currently building LCR sealed Statements that I hope will give me the same sense of realism and perhaps a bit more in the way of dynamics. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Comment

• JRT
                          • Apr 2005

Due to recent information about poor quality, I no longer support a DIY kit that I had suggested for consideration, and have edited my post to remove that suggestion.
                          Last edited by JRT; 18 August 2008, 08:38 Monday. Reason: recent information changed my opinion

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JRT

You can find a dscussion thread at DIYAUDIO.COM under the thread title
                            "DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit ".
                            Of greater interest to some would be a kit version of the ESP 15" ....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"