X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

TB W4-1757S off-axis and distortion plots:

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Tang Band touting their new W4-1757S planar coned full range driver. http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-1757s.htm This interesting little neodymium driver purportedly uses an aluminum honeycomb sandwich construction planar cone and a large 1.5” voice coil diameter to help minimize cone flex. The moving mass of the 1857S is 25% greater than for instance, the W4-1337SA. This is to be expected as the flat panel will require additional material to exhibit anything like the rigidity of a conventional conical cone.

Their marketing blurb indicated it has very good off-axis response, but their response plots traditionally only show the on axis response. Curiosity getting the best of me, I emailed them asking for off-axis and HD plots.

Yesterday the response was received TB, and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. Not does the variation in off axis response rival or exceed many tweeter responses, but the HD plots look very good as well. Crossing them as low as 400 Hz 2nd order, or even 200 Hz 4th order acoustic appear possible. Forget using them as a woofer: The 2mm Xmax suggests midrange duty and up only. Note that in the HD plot the harmonic responses have been moved up 30 dB for clarity.

Now it’s not without its downsides: The response is pretty ragged above 2500 Hz, but still within +/- 5 dB or so overall, and the impedance curve is certainly not pretty, but the impedance ambiguities seem to translate into response variations rather than linear distortion.

Assuming they respond in real life as well as they do on paper, I could see these utilized in an MTM center channel with very acceptable off-axis response, and the potential for minimal lobing issues. :W

–Or, you could finally build that 12” 2 way you’ve always wanted! :rofl:

The rough top end probably could be massaged somewhat with notch filters, but it’s probably up high enough that it wouldn’t be too objectionable even left as is.

Flat cone drivers have been tried from time to time in the past with limited success. The 'cones' either flexed too much, or were so heavy that sensitivity suffered. It will be interesting to see if and when these will be made available to the DIY community.

C
    Attached Files
    Curt's Speaker Design Works
  • 69Stingray
    • Feb 2007

The latest issue of Voice Coil has several Tang Band ads for new drivers, they have been doing a lot of work over there.

That is indeed a very interesting looking 4".

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

...suddenly, Tang Band released so many interesting drivers... I wish I could "collect them all!"
      Javier Huerta

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Hmm... Do you think these would be well suited into a 3 way tower design? They look quite interesting I'm wondering how they sound though compared to my 1337SA's

Comment

• JRT
          • Apr 2005

A pair of those might be a good mids to use in a TMM with a Seas H1499/H1212 hybrid tweeter, comprising the 2.5-way top portion of a TMMWW 3.5-way. There should be a significant reduction in diffraction ripple over the flat midrange diaphram.

The H1499/H1212 hybrid can go low enough to work with that. And since that tweeter loses its controlled directionality near 2_kHz and below, it would likely lead to some diffraction ripple over the cavity created by a conventional cone midrange, so the flat diaphram would be useful in eliminating a lot of that.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"