X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nickmckinney
    • May 2008

Nick McKinney from Lambda Acoustics is now with AE Speakers

To my fellow speakerholics,

It is official, after a long vacation I am now back in the speaker world. I have known John at Acoustic Elegance for about 10 years now and he has been working hard to keep my original driver designs available. What better to do that to join forces and group our knowledge together. I will be handling driver design, technical help, prototyping, and assisting with sales from my Florida location. Its nice to still have a magnet charger and all the shop tools needed to build and test drivers and cabinets. Feel free to ask me any questions as that is what I am here for now, that way we can keep John busy with the production side of things.

Best regards

Nick McKinney
    Acoustic Elegance
  • Shonver
    • Jan 2007

Nice. You've come full circle.
    Shaun

DON'T PANIC

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Good news! and welcome back... :T

Now how about some Unity horns.... 8O :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

Hey Nick! Welcome!

BTW, where in FL are you located? I'm in Palm Bay on the East Coast just below Cocoa Beach and Melbourne.

Comment

• JRT
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by nickmckinney
          To my fellow speakerholics,

It is official, after a long vacation I am now back in the speaker world. I have known John at Acoustic Elegance for about 10 years now and he has been working hard to keep my original driver designs available. What better to do that to join forces and group our knowledge together. I will be handling driver design, technical help, prototyping, and assisting with sales from my Florida location. Its nice to still have a magnet charger and all the shop tools needed to build and test drivers and cabinets. Feel free to ask me any questions as that is what I am here for now, that way we can keep John busy with the production side of things.

Best regards

Nick McKinney
          Acoustic Elegance
          Excellent bit of news, that. Congrats and welcome back. :T

Comment

• JRT
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW

I thought the Unity Horns were Tom Danley's, or am I missing the point on an inside joke in this.

edit: I did a little looking with Google...

I see now that Nick used to offer a kit for that.

Marshall Buck patented a dual range horn that made use of an acoustic low pass filter to combine the midrange horn with the high frequency horn. I think Danley's Unity horn did that (prior) with the flow restrictions imposed by the small orifices leading to the midranges.

A new approach has been developed to combine midrange and high frequency sound into the throat of a horn designed for sound reinforcement. An acoustic low pass filter element is interposed between the mid frequency passage and the high frequency passage, so that a smooth combination of the two frequency bands is achieved at the entrance to the horn bell. Thus each frequency band has nearly identical dispersion, and the two sources have equal delay.
            Last edited by JRT; 08 May 2008, 17:08 Thursday. Reason: found the connection

Comment

• nickmckinney
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
              Hey Nick! Welcome!

BTW, where in FL are you located? I'm in Palm Bay on the East Coast just below Cocoa Beach and Melbourne.

Just north of Orlando in Casselberry. Lambda's shop used to be in Eau Gallie.

Comment

• nickmckinney
                • May 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW

You need to talk to either Tom or Servodrive on that one :T

I still have my sets, though I have no space for them where I live.........

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

Nick,

Oh yeah?! I'm familiar with Casselberry. We lived in Oviedo for a while. My in-laws still live there.

Let me know if you need any sub enclosures built!

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by nickmckinney
                    You need to talk to either Tom or Servodrive on that one :T

I still have my sets, though I have no space for them where I live.........
                    Given you your history with Danley, combined with JohnJ's CNC machine, I was hoping there might be a kit in our future.... :W

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

Hey Nick, ever considered building a coax, maybe based on the TD15M since it seems to be the best of the breed for HF?

Comment

• JohnL
                        • Dec 2004

Welcome back Nick!

I still have my pair of TD12S's here that have been cranking away for the past several years. Best purchase I ever made.

I have a couple questions for you. Have you seen 18Sound's active impedence control, and could you comment on it? Your mantra was always to keep the Le as low as possible, AIC seems like an innovative way to do that.

Second, BMS is using triple aluminum rings in some of their woofers now. I've not heard them, but what differences do you get from going with the main ring being copper?

Also, you asked what someone would be willing to pay for a high end midrange. My application is 95db+ 8"-10" that can go in an open baffle, matched with a couple of your 15" dipole drivers. $250 wouldn't be too much for a Lambda class midrange. John would certainly know better where the market is, but I think there'll always be a market for quality.

John

Comment

• nickmckinney
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Dennis H
                          Hey Nick, ever considered building a coax, maybe based on the TD15M since it seems to be the best of the breed for HF?
                          Yes, basically that would be a Tannoy style design. I really like the Tannoys that I have worked with.

Comment

• nickmckinney
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by JohnL
                            Welcome back Nick!

I still have my pair of TD12S's here that have been cranking away for the past several years. Best purchase I ever made.

I have a couple questions for you. Have you seen 18Sound's active impedence control, and could you comment on it? Your mantra was always to keep the Le as low as possible, AIC seems like an innovative way to do that.

Second, BMS is using triple aluminum rings in some of their woofers now. I've not heard them, but what differences do you get from going with the main ring being copper?

Also, you asked what someone would be willing to pay for a high end midrange. My application is 95db+ 8"-10" that can go in an open baffle, matched with a couple of your 15" dipole drivers. $250 wouldn't be too much for a Lambda class midrange. John would certainly know better where the market is, but I think there'll always be a market for quality.

John

Active impedance control would work if the impedance was constant - which it is in maybe 1% of the drivers out there (Lambda, Scanning, original version Scan-Speak, some Dynaudios) In most drivers the midbass inductance is always modulating with LF excursion.

Triple rings are nothing new, its a cheaper approach that gets about 75% of a solid copper sleeve as you still have the coil gap acting as a steel core inductor. You can see it in the inductance reading. Without the copper sleeve the TD inductance would be around 4mH instead of 0.4mH A triple ring would be about 0.8mH or so I imagine. The Apollo version is a triple ring combined with a copper sleeve.

I talked with one of the original people that worked on the WE/Altec 755 cone and it looks like we can get it done. I would think the cheapest version of this wideband could be about $250 or so. Basically a ~60Hz to ~12Khz 8" I think we will offer it with a couple different sensitivity specs as well.

Comment

• DS-21
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                              I would replace my L/C/R Tannoy System 12 DMT II's with Lambda TD-based coaxes in a heartbeat...

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"