X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operandi
    • May 2007

RS100 at PE

Looks like the RS100 made it into production as it's on the PE site now link. I don't see many details on the PE site yet but I remember reading Zaph was happy with the test results from the driver he measured.

Should be a nice option for a really small two way or maybe even a full range design?
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Impressive specs I think. I look forward to designs with this driver.

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Zaph has some measurements of a prototype in his Feb 28 blog.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Operandi
        Looks like the RS100 made it into production as it's on the PE site now link. I don't see many details on the PE site yet but I remember reading Zaph was happy with the test results from the driver he measured.

Should be a nice option for a really small two way or maybe even a full range design?

I was thinking of using it in a budget 3 way to enter in the Dayton DIY contest this July. Probably would use the 4 ohm version. It would also be nice in that Micro computer speaker. By the way they are in stock at PE, you just have to type in RS100 in the search on their website to find it.

Jed

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Was wondering how good of a midrange they would make even in a large 3way. Sort of like the W4.

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

Probably in the same league, but I have to note the 4db lower sensitivity for the RS100 compared to the Tangband. For an MTM(WW) sort of configuration, the savings of $25 per driver would really add up.
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah it's priced quite low.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

At 83 dB/W... I can only imagine using them in pairs.

It looks great, though.
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• stidrvr
                  • Sep 2005

Awe its such a cute little thing

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2001

A pair of the 4 ohm versions look pretty good wired in series in a 6L box tuned to around 65Hz actually doesn't look too bad. You could do some small MTM's for LCR's for small room HT's.

Hummm....

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                      At 83 dB/W... I can only imagine using them in pairs.

It looks great, though.

I agree. I used the ill fated RS90 (sold off as a HiVi buyout) in the SoundRounds as a pair (WMTM) and they did very nicely. I would imagine the RS100 is about the same, with a lower extension and probably similar sensitivity.

I'm wondering about a center channel with a W/MTM/W arrangement, with the MTM vertical using a small neo like the D26.
                      Dan N.

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                        You could do some small MTM's for LCR's for small room HT's.
                        Small??? What good is that? Build Big or Go Home!

:rofl:
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2001

It would be nice for my bedroom system. I could place them under the TV in my armoire. I also need a nice, slimline receiver if anyone knows of such an animal.

Comment

• WillyD
                            • Feb 2006

How slim, Brian? The JVC digitals are 3 5/8" high.

Comment

• benchtester
                              • Sep 2007

It would be nice for my bedroom system. I could place them under the TV in my armoire.
                              Be careful with the setup and better not use a Zaph design, just to be on the safe side! :B

This taken from Zaph's Jan 29th Blog entry:
                              ... And to make matters worse, this system was in some sort of closet with swing-out doors. When the doors were open, they would stick straight out, for probably the worst early reflection situation possible. ... If I ever see a DIY'er do that with one of my designs, I promise to delete my entire website.
                              (The internet never forgets)

Comment

• jquin
                                • Dec 2006

I'd like a small version of the Modula MT for some surrounds, possibly in wall.
                                I'm well aware that the bass will be very limited but compared to the crap you can get commerically I think they would be just fine esp where space is a big concern.
                                Oh well I might have a look at it. With as small woofer the xover may be much simpler than the Modula MT.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by benchtester
                                  Be careful with the setup and better not use a Zaph design, just to be on the safe side! :B

(The internet never forgets)

Eh, I'm not worried about Zaph! I'd never do one of those setups in my main system. But for the bedroom, I'm kinda tired of towers taking up floor space. So I need something small that'll sound better than the TV speakers. Maybe I could do one of those "soundbar" kind of things. Have a TM on each end with an MTM with the mids pushed together and the tweeter offset above them for the center....all in one cabinet.

WillyD, the JVC's might be the ticket. Do you happen to know any of the model numbers so I can check them out?

The solid cherry shelf above the TV doesn't seem to like a big ~40lb. receiver. The shelf bows badly so I took it out and had it sitting on the floor next to the armoire. So I need something decent and lightweight that I can put up there with the Dish receiver and DVD player. Or I could put it on the top of the cabinet behind the trim molding if necessary.

Comment

• WillyD
                                    • Feb 2006

WillyD, the JVC's might be the ticket. Do you happen to know any of the model numbers so I can check them out?
                                    JVCKENWOOD's product information site creates excitement and peace of mind for the people of the world through JVC brand projectors, headphones, audio, car audio products and professional business products.

And the Panasonic XR-57 is worth a look as well, it is 4.2in tall. I know a few people on this forum have the 55 or 57, including myself. We have two in the house and both have been great. One is in an enclosed cabinet with hardly any ventilation and is used every day for at least 5 hours, powering four 8" in-walls and a center. They do tend to run a little hot, as the JVCs do, but ours has been ok.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"