• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Subwoofer cabinet input terminals?

What are you guys using?
    I want my ADA 1200 installed outboard this time - to allow some flexibility in amplifier useage, I'll need to get two set of terminals through 1-5/8" of mdf and ply. The subwoofer is sealed, I can't have air leaks.
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

Most people just use standard binding posts (banana jacks). Pretty much every amp will either have banana jacks or a bare wire connection that you can run to a banana jack. The one's I have can be found at PE, BPA-38G (remember to use the link at the top!). Unfortunately these are only good for 1" walls, but I believe most won't be able to go 1-5/8" deep. The best I've seen is 1-1/2". Perhaps you should cut out a pocket for them.
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

When I made my first sub, Thomas told me to use the terminal cup from PE. They got several to choose from. I recommend the round one so you can make the opening with a router and jig - much easier than the square. It comes with a gasket, but I used silicone too. Worked fine. The binding posts were just as nice as the cheaper PE ones. And the posts end up being recessed, which is real nice.

I've seen some people try and cover the back with wood or something to give them more mass. I think this is welcomed overkill.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

I'm guessing you mean this?

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

I have to get into this from the back:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.webp
Views:	38
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	939577

Here's a vanity shot:

Name:	IMG_2496.webp
Views:	44
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	939578

It isn't quite as pretty as I'd hoped for, but I'm pleased none-the-less.
          Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 20:29 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Bent
            I'm guessing you mean this?
            Yep. I've built three subs with those. I'm sure people could make arguments for better solutions, but those work for my subs.

My Khans use the PE binding post plate: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-602 with the really expensive Supra binding posts from Madisound. The Khancenter uses the same plate, but with the PE Insulated Binding Posts.

So, lots of ways to skin a cat.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• collo
              • Nov 2005

Those plates look like a good idea. I did something similar with perspex, mounted deep enough to lay the box on its back...

Name:	bindingpost3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	939579

I wouldn't use the posts with the plastic knobs again - they can't be done up tight enough. Go for the metal ones, or a neutrix connector.
              Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 20:29 Friday. Reason: Update image location
              Ports rule ...

Comment

• Bent
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2003

I never thought of a mounting plate from on the inside.......
                great idea.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"