X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddo
    • Mar 2008

RS150 MTM build

Thought I'd post a couple of images of the RS150S-8/27TDFC MTMs that I just built. Many thanks to CJD for posting his design. I don't have the time or resources for testing and designing at the moment, so its always appreciated when others are willing to share designs.

First, some info on the woodworking:
    The cabinets are 3/4" MDF and covered with flat-cut cherry paper-backed veneer (applied with DAP weldwood contact cement). No stain was applied, only a water-based polyurethane (Varathane Diamond). Usually I see no need to stain cherry, as the color is fantastic as-is, plus it darkens with age. However, I wanted to create a different look for the baffles, those are solid cherry (0.85" thick) and are stained with Varathane "Cabernet". I didn't know how well I'd like the deep burgundy baffles, but I'm actually quite happy with the finished product.

In case anyone is interested, the image below has several pieces of solid cherry (with and without stain) and a piece of cherry veneer with two different stains. Its hard to tell where the "Fruitwood" stain stops, as it is so light and probably not worth using.

The cabinet is vented and has the same volume as Chris' design, however I made the baffle slightly wider to decrease the depth. A model of the baffle diffraction shows only ~0.6dB of difference between the two baffles, which doesn't bother me at all.

Crossovers aren't built yet, but hopefully I'll get around to that soon.
    Attached Files
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hi Eddo,

Welcome to the HT Guide. The cabinets look great! Excellent workmanship.

I hope you can attend the Iowa DIY event this fall and bring your speakers along. Most have not heard this design and I think they'd like to.

Jim

Comment

• Turn2
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
      Hi Eddo,

Welcome to the HT Guide. The cabinets look great! Excellent workmanship.

I hope you can attend the Iowa DIY event this fall and bring your speakers along. Most have not heard this design and I think they'd like to.

Jim
      I concur. Nice work I'd love to see firsthand. :welcome:

Comment

• Ray Collins
        • Mar 2006

Beautiful work!! I hope they sound as good as they look.

Ray
        Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
        BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Looks great, but how do they sound?
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

The crossovers aren't built yet per the bottom line in the OP....

Jim

Comment

• David_D
              • Feb 2008

Welcome Eddo,
              Beautiful cabinetry, They look really sweet.
              -David
              -David

As we try and consider
              We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• CupCak3
                • Oct 2007

ooooh me likey. Excellent work on the cabinet!

Comment

• dawg1161
                  • May 2006

Those look very nice and I like Jim would love to hear them at Iowa DIY 2008......

Comment

• eddo
                    • Mar 2008

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll post more details once the crossovers are finished.

Next on the list is a set of matching Zaph ZDT3 towers and center. I don't use 5-channel very often, but like to have it available for movies. Boards are cut, but it'll be a while before the rest of the set is complete.

I searched for details on the Iowa DIY 2008, but can't seem to find anything. Anyone care to share the details?

-Ed

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by eddo
                      Thanks for the comments guys, I'll post more details once the crossovers are finished.

Next on the list is a set of matching Zaph ZDT3 towers and center. I don't use 5-channel very often, but like to have it available for movies. Boards are cut, but it'll be a while before the rest of the set is complete.

I searched for details on the Iowa DIY 2008, but can't seem to find anything. Anyone care to share the details?

-Ed
                      Hi Ed,

The 2008 event will again be at the Grinnell College theater in Grinnell of course. It'll be on Saturday, October 18 or 25th and I think it'll be the 25th but I'm not sure. Doug Petersen is again hosting the event and would be the one to ask.

Here's a link to last years webpage. 2007 Iowa DIY Event I'd suggest you post on PE that you'd like to be added to the list and Doug will take care of it for you.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Blktre
                        • Apr 2008

Next on the list is a set of matching Zaph ZDT3 towers and center.

-Ed
                        I'm in the middle of this build myself. I have the tower cabinets built. I'm waiting for John Krutke to finish up his testing of the Dayton ND20, then I can order the drivers and crossover components. Luckily for me, Stangbat is good at building the crossovers and will be doing this for me.

Comment

• Turn2
                          • Dec 2006

-Ed
                          Looks like you're going to have a load to take to Grinnell. I'd make the trip just to hear the ZDT3's.

Comment

• eddo
                            • Mar 2008

I'm probably going to order the crossover components for these fairly soon, but looking at CJD's schematic and bill of materials a question comes up. In the schematic, inductor Lm1 has a value of 1.3mH, however the value is 0.9mH in the BOM (1800Hz crossover version). Has anyone done this build who could answer this? I'm assuming 1.3mH is correct and 0.9mH is a carried-over typo from the 2100Hz version.

The link to CJD's design page is here:
                            RS150 MTM

-Ed

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Yup, 1.3 would be the correct value. I've been locked out of my server for the last number of months and unable to get resolution (my dad hosts so I can't as easily say "I'm finding another host! )

C
                              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"