X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blktre
    • Apr 2008

Stangbats ZDT3's and a CC question

"Astounding, the cost to performance ratio is off the charts!"

Thats one of my favorite statements I read all the time from the HiFi guys in all the cool magazines out there. And after listening to Stangbats ZDT3's in 2 channel thats pretty much how I felt when I left after listening to them. Nice work Krutke on the design of these speakers.

Ive listened to the upper range KEF "Q", Klipsh Reference, BW 683, and an attempt at Paradigm Studio 9's and 11's and I think im most interested in building the ZDT3. They sure beat the crap out of my JBL Northridge I currently own. So here goes my question...

I'm into HT, 2 channel music, as well as 5.1 concert DVD's. So I need to find out how the ZDT3 will work with HT? I also have some CC questions in matching these speakers. I definitely know I need the 3way design. Ive looked at a few cabinets configurations, but can someone steer me in the right direction with some cabinet plans that would house the same drivers as whats in the ZDT3 towers. Also, ive read here about some sealed CC plans. Why sealed and not ported regardless if Im using a sub? My current CC is ported and all the commercial CC ive seen are ported, so what gives in that regard....

Thanks in advance and appreciate your input..

Cheers,
    Andy
  • stangbat
    • Jan 2008

The reason this question came up was due to WillyD's ZDT3 center using a PE 1.0 cuft cabinet. Since WillyD had a PE cabinet and wanted to use it, there were size constraints to consider and he went with sealed. Blktre and I were originally discussing using pre-built cabinets for his ZDT3s. And when going this route the center channel enclosure options are limited, hence we were discussing sealed vs. vented. Blktre is now having the cabinets built, so my answer to him was: if you are building the enclosures instead of using pre-built, use Krutke's center design and vent it regardless of using a sub and its crossover point.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Mfgrs usually build ported speakers because they sound the most impressive when no sub is used. Also they 'spec' better on paper.

In the real world ports aren't needed when a sub is used.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Blktre
        • Apr 2008

Thanks for the clarification guys.....I'm excited to get to work...Cheers...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"