X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silversmoky
    • Nov 2007

Tang Band 25-1372sc Tweeter

Was just wondering if anybody knew anything about this tweeter at all. Couldn't find much info on it and couldn't find where anybody had tested it. Maybe it's not worth it, I don't know. Seems like it might be a decent perfomer but I know little! From the specs I was maybe thinking it is more of a 3 way tweeter? Thanks.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I think Zaph or someone tested it and said it was ok or something. Look on his page I guess.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

FS is kinda high and the break-up at 19k isn't helping anyone. Might be worth testing though- if it can compete with Focal TC120s.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I believe thats what whoever that reviewed it said the biggest problem was, the breakup at 19khz.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Dougie, I think you might be thinking of when I asked JonMarsh about it. No one has actually tested it to my knowledge. There have been just observations from the spec sheet. Unfortunately that is is hard to know exactly from TB because they don't have very accurate spec sheets. That breakup might be higher than it appears on the pdf. I'd have to buy some to know for sure, but my soundcard only will allow up to 2ok measurements, so even if is slightly higher in frequency and Q, I wouldn't be able to tell you- that is if the peak is more like 21k etc. I'm kinda curious about it because I like inverted dome tweeters- Accuton, Focal, etc.

Comment

• Silversmoky
            • Nov 2007

I actually grabbed a couple of these a while back when they were on sale from Pe. Didn't know anything about them other than there spec sheet. Thought they might be fun to play around with for the price. If you are interested Jed, I could probably send them to you.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah that might be the case is when you talked to Jon about them. Now that you mention it, it's ringing a rather large bell in my head so chances are your correct. I'll have some measurement equipment sometime next week but the mic is not calibrated (yet anyways) and not sure how high up the mobile pre will go. I believe my DAC will have no issues playing well above 20khz though. But I'm not very experienced at measurements.

Comment

• jkrutke
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                I think Zaph or someone tested it and said it was ok or something. Look on his page I guess.
                I haven't tested that one. My excitement wasn't too high about it, because it's pricey and other specs don't look to great.

There's these other Tangbands I was interested in but PE doesn't have them yet. I saw them tested in Voice Coil and they looked pretty good. The 28-1582S was one of them. The SB Acoustics tweeter was tested in the same issue, and the TB walked all over it on all fronts. Of course, I reserve judgement until I test it myself.
                Zaph|Audio

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

I wanted to get one to play around with it, but a 1,300 Hz FS doesn't sound that tempting. Neither does a $50 "regular" price.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Silversmoky
                    Jed, I could probably send them to you.
                    that would be cool with me.......PM sent.

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

I actually grabbed a couple of these a while back when they were on sale from Pe. Didn't know anything about them other than there spec sheet. Thought they might be fun to play around with for the price. If you are interested Jed, I could probably send them to you.

Hey, I got the tweeters yesterday, and I will test these this weekend and let everyone know the results. Might take a bit longer because I have to cut a baffle for them.

Jed

Comment

• Silversmoky
                        • Nov 2007

Sounds good Jed! Take your time

Comment

• jkrutke
                          • Dec 2005

Looking forward to your results Jed. My hope's not too high but you never know. I understand it has a copper sleeve but that's not always as much benefit in a tweeter.
                          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• littlesaint
                            • Jul 2007

Price dropped. Any update on performance?
                            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
                              Price dropped. Any update on performance?
                              Got them in house- testing this weekend.

Jed

Comment

• Jed
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Apr 2005

Impedance overlay of both samples. Hard to see the second graph because it is light gray. FS a little bit lower than the specs. Somewhere around 1200HZ, I would say.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

How about the FR though? Curious to see if there is that big dip at the top end.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2006

I still wonder. On PE's page, they say it's ideal for MTMs. With the size of the faceplate and the Fs, this doesn't seem feasible.
                                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2005

In a D4 sized cabinet which is about 6.75" wide by 12" tall.

Looks like some energy storage on the top end. I didn't smooth the FR much so you could see more detail.

Here's the other sample with 8ms gate and no smoothing at all:

Harmonic Distortion test at 1m 90DB

Looks Ok 3K on up. Too bad the FR on the top octave is messed up although most over 30 won't be able to hear that peak anyway.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                        • Dec 2005

Thanks for the tests Jed. Non-linear looks pretty good to me but the response curve might need some work.

I've got a $15 Vifa titanium on deck here, it's a new one at Madisound. I thought it might be a buyout but I talked to them and it's a permanent part of their inventory, to be restocked when they run out.
                                        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jed
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2005

Yeah, the tweeter looks useable and one could put a notch on that peak at 19k. But for its price I'd say there are definitely more useable tweeters out there, and ones that don't need a notch for a funky peak in the "passband" (depending on your hearing range).

I'm glad you picked up some of those new Vifa's because I'm really excited about them. The cheap D26 "look-alike" is interesting as well. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head.

Comment

• Silversmoky
                                            • Nov 2007

Thanks for testing these out Jed. That is an interesting FR. Good to know I can still play around with them somewhat!

Anxious to see the tests on those new Vifa's too.

Comment

• Jed
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Apr 2005

Thanks for testing these out Jed. That is an interesting FR. Good to know I can still play around with them somewhat!

Anxious to see the tests on those new Vifa's too.
                                              Your welcome. The FR can be "fixed" somewhat with a notch on that 19k peak.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"