ribbon tweeter (neo3) sq degradation in weeks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

ribbon tweeter (neo3) sq degradation in weeks?

i just swapped out my tweeters on my statements two weeks ago because the previous ribbons got stretched due to some dts signls passing thru my DAC by mistake while setting up my PS3. and yes, it had indeed damaged the tweeters badly because the sound quality increase i got was tremendous. the degradation was so bad i had actually forgotten what that ribbon magic sounded like. and it wasn't even imaging correctly, i realized after the switch. sorry im rambling on here. anyways, now, i really don't feel that magic anymore. i mean it's about same detail and imaging but that ribbon dynamic seems to be missing for some reason. it's been two weeks since replacement. nothing has changed, no harmful signals getting fed by mistake. the only thing i can think of is that one speaker sits very close to the air conditioner. about tweeter is about 4 feet away from the air source. it is not facing it. it is sideways to it. another is that my tube preamp hums in one channel. low tube hum. all the time... *sign. so my question is, could any of these factors contribute to sound quality loss in two weeks time? or is it just that the 'wow' factor has been worn off? im sure its not my hearing. because i always take care to keep my volume on level.
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Go used to the sound? I also think the background hum kills the resolution of the system, unless you play very laud.

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

Nevermind... got my tweeters mixed up.
      Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
        i just swapped out my tweeters on my statements two weeks ago because the previous ribbons got stretched due to some dts signls passing thru my DAC by mistake while setting up my PS3. and yes, it had indeed damaged the tweeters badly because the sound quality increase i got was tremendous. the degradation was so bad i had actually forgotten what that ribbon magic sounded like. and it wasn't even imaging correctly, i realized after the switch. sorry im rambling on here. anyways, now, i really don't feel that magic anymore. i mean it's about same detail and imaging but that ribbon dynamic seems to be missing for some reason. it's been two weeks since replacement. nothing has changed, no harmful signals getting fed by mistake. the only thing i can think of is that one speaker sits very close to the air conditioner. about tweeter is about 4 feet away from the air source. it is not facing it. it is sideways to it. another is that my tube preamp hums in one channel. low tube hum. all the time... *sign. so my question is, could any of these factors contribute to sound quality loss in two weeks time? or is it just that the 'wow' factor has been worn off? im sure its not my hearing. because i always take care to keep my volume on level.
        Coconutout,

I don't know what you are or aren't hearing but there's not a chance of the NeoCD3.0 ribbons sound degrading under any thing that even resembles normal usage. If you think you have a problem, send them to Madisound for testing. Also, I hope you didn't buy new NeoCD3.0's because the ribbon elements are replaceable by Madisound for a fraction of the cost of a new ribbon. NeoCD3.0's are extremely durable. You'd have to really work at it to hurt them.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Maybe you accidentally connected the tweeter with the polarity wrong when you replaced it? Just a guess.
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Coconutout
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            Coconutout,

I don't know what you are or aren't hearing but there's not a chance of the NeoCD3.0 ribbons sound degrading under any thing that even resembles normal usage. If you think you have a problem, send them to Madisound for testing. Also, I hope you didn't buy new NeoCD3.0's because the ribbon elements are replaceable by Madisound for a fraction of the cost of a new ribbon. NeoCD3.0's are extremely durable. You'd have to really work at it to hurt them.

HTH

Jim
            teh ribbons are wha? sorry, i really couldn't sound stupider. i guess i bite the bullet this time. i guess i could get it re-ribonned and post it here for sale. i doubt there would be much profit left for me tho.
            but that unnatural tube hum, could that ever be the factor in driver degradation? i really dont know much about this stuff. im just thinking about the nasty DC signals and how the tube hum might be related. and what about the tangband? ive read that neo3d is pretty robust and the dayton ofcourse shoud be tough but tangband is already a sensitive driver...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

teh ribbons are wha? sorry, i really couldn't sound stupider. i guess i bite the bullet this time. i guess i could get it re-ribonned and post it here for sale. i doubt there would be much profit left for me tho.
              but that unnatural tube hum, could that ever be the factor in driver degradation? i really dont know much about this stuff. im just thinking about the nasty DC signals and how the tube hum might be related. and what about the tangband? ive read that neo3d is pretty robust and the dayton ofcourse shoud be tough but tangband is already a sensitive driver...
              Coconutout,

Sorry, I probably didn't word my response to you the best. Thank goodness, I'm not running for president.

No, the hum will not hurt the drivers. If it were ear splitting loud, perhaps but even then, I doubt it. The ribbons are like domes in that they are the most sensitive driver in the speaker but anything short of major abuse, they'll last indefinitely and sound great. The ribbon elements are very robust and it would really take a lot, and I mean a lot, to hurt them. The good news is, the ribbon elements are replaceable by Madisound and they'll be like new again. I'm sure testing is part of the process.

Anyway, I'm not sure why the sound has changed to you but it really shouldn't be driver degradation. What exactly happened that causes you concern?

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"