X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stangbat
    • Jan 2008

ZDT3 Using the Madisound MD38T

Of course I realize this and think of it AFTER I have built the ZDT3. I was goofing around today and realized the following:

Madisound sells a 38 liter cabinet called the MD38T. It is 9 x 38 x 11. 38 liters is 1.34 cuft.

The ZDT3 enclosure is 2 x 0.69 cuft = 1.38 cuft total. The ZDT3 enclosure is 9 x 40.25 x 11 without the base block.

So basically the cabinets from Madisound are almost, if not a perfect fit for the ZDT3 (and Waveguide TMM for that matter). It would have cost $402 for the cabinets from Madisound, but you can save a ton of time and work and end up with the ZDT3.

If the tweeter height was a problem due to the slightly shorter cabinet, you could always build a simple base block to raise the speaker slightly. Anyone see anything wrong with my line of thinking?
    Last edited by stangbat; 16 April 2008, 23:18 Wednesday.
  • Geoff Gunnell
    • Nov 2006

Posts 164 - 166 in this thread illustrate the inside of the cabs:

Request an updated dimensioned drawing from Madisound so you know how you may need to relocate any of the interior braces.

AFAIK the only complaint anyone has ever made about these is that they are shallow -- 11" overall including grills IIRC I assume implies an inside depth of less than 9", so figure accordingly with port length and back wall padding
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:27 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• stangbat
      • Jan 2008

Thanks for the info. The pic helps. I have a friend that is interested in the ZDT3 and I'd definitely double check that the drivers can be located correctly before purchasing.

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

Yup, there's a lot of great designs that could fit in the Madisound tower. 9" wide is a pretty common width. With the ZDT3, tweeter height is not an issue, since the mid to tweet lobing favors upwards.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"