X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkrueger
    • Mar 2006

Khanspire Crossover upgrade

Hey all

I am wondering about what would be money well spent on a crossover upgrade. I am building the Khanspire plan, and I am a Canadian. I would like to order from Solen and thought that while I am at it I would upgrade some caps and resistors. Are the regular solen caps better than the dayton ones in the upgraded plans? If I was gonna spend a bit more money where should I start with the upgrades? The tweeter circuit? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jon
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Are the regular solen caps better than the dayton ones
    No....

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Are you saying they are worse Dennis?
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Nope, not worse.

Inductors, stick to all air core with the appropriate impedance.

Caps, you could consider splitting the tweeter cap values in half and going with one high-end super fancy cap, one normal cap in parallel, OR just go fancy for the whole value.

Mid would be the next place to consider but it's a battle of diminishing returns.

If you're going these steps, hopefully you're using a quality teflon insulated silver plated mil-spec wire (in the US I just source this from ApexJr - incredibly good prices) and real copper binding posts (Supras are - they're $50... Cardas also does some). 12 or 14ga on the woofers, 14 or 16 on the rest. And running monoblocks right next to the speaker...

In other words... there are so many other places to throw away more performance (without even thinking about it perhaps) than you might gain from spending a ton of cash on tweeter caps...

Though, wire length almost entirely affects system Q, except where they're particularly inductive.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jkrueger
          Hey all
          I am building the Khanspire plan, and I am a Canadian.

Jon
          :T

I feel like a proud papa. I believe you'll be #4. Please, keep us updated with photos and such.

As far as the crossover parts, I'm going to let the other experts here speak. I've only used the Daytons, and have been happy enough. I don't see any reason not to use the Solen's if you can get the right values or build up to it.

As can be seen by the BOMs, most of the designers here don't shy away from spending good money where appropriate. If you dig a bit, there are enough photos of crossovers to see what everyone beleives is appropriate. This is less likely to start the cap flame war.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I've decided, when I design for others, I'm only going to spec silver foil/oil Audio Note caps from now on. I think you can get 1uF for a $600, and 3.3uF only running $1900.

Duelund silver foils would be acceptable. 20uF is a mere $7000. (easy to parallel up for the woofer shunt caps!)

You could dip down to the sad little Jensens which are only $550 for a 1uF.

The real question might be: will these make a difference?

I don't know. I DO think these speakers could highlight a difference, if one exists.

C

Comment

• ahaik
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjd
              I've decided, when I design for others, I'm only going to spec silver foil/oil Audio Note caps from now on. I think you can get 1uF for a $600, and 3.3uF only running $1900.

Duelund silver foils would be acceptable. 20uF is a mere $7000. (easy to parallel up for the woofer shunt caps!)

You could dip down to the sad little Jensens which are only $550 for a 1uF.

I don't know. I DO think these speakers could highlight a difference, if one exists.

C
              cjd, you forgot to put the decimal point, let me correct your post :E

"I've decided, when I design for others, I'm only going to spec silver foil/oil Audio Note caps from now on. I think you can get 1uF for a $6.00, and 3.3uF only running $19.00.

Duelund silver foils would be acceptable. 20uF is a mere $70.00. (easy to parallel up for the woofer shunt caps!)

You could dip down to the sad little Jensens which are only $5.50 for a 1uF.

I don't know. I DO think these speakers could highlight a difference, if one exists."

But man $70 for a 20uf cap.....

Sorry, couldn't resist :rofl:

Comment

• servicetech
                • Sep 2007

Here is Zaph's point of view on the matter, and I agree with him.

The two negatives of electrolytics are lower power handling and degradation over time. Sound quality is not a negative, though many would have you believe that. Electrolytics sound every bit as good as poly, mylar or metal film capacitors. Considering the unfounded, non-scientific hype over more expensive capacitors, you either have to believe me or be willing to spend nearly $600 for a pair of crossovers rather than $160.

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Two caps that measure exactly the same should sound the same.

I think electrolytic to poly is worth the cost in every case, just because they DO degrade over time and they also tend to vary a lot more from spec. When we start looking at the various film/foil caps vs poly, you can still measure differences in ESRR most notably, but other stuff - beyond my real understanding to be honest. And worth the cost difference? Maybe if it's $20 vs $60 for a tweeter network. But if I were serious about those silver foil caps? That's like a 1000x cost differential. I don't care if I can hear it, I just don't know that I can justify that cost. That's a LOT of seasons of seats at the symphony (and I DO subscribe... just renewed last night for next year! too bad I won't hear Perlman when he's in town - I'll actually be in Paris).

C

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Oh how horrible....you'll miss Perlman cause you'll be in Paris...you poor soul :roll: :lol:

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                      Oh how horrible....you'll miss Perlman cause you'll be in Paris...you poor soul :roll: :lol:
                      Paris is easier to get to than a Perlman concert... might be cheaper too. (at least, if I want decent seats...)

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"