X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HYPERTUNE
    • Dec 2007

Tweeter advice and general help required: MTWW W15CY,???,CSS SDX7

I have decided to build a MTWW using the Seas W15cy001 http://www.seas.no/images/stories/ex..._datasheet.pdf (which I already have) CSS SDX7 http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/CSS-...ata-261207.pdf and am still undecided on the tweeter. I am planning on going all sealed, as I find myself blocking the ports on my little froys (W15 MTM) I guess due to the close distance to the wall and relatively small room.

As I have no experience designing crossovers, I was planning on using an existing W15 MT design such as found on Troels site:

but am unsure as to whether the OW1 is really the best option.
    After checking out Zaphs site, it seems to me that the peerless HDS would be a good choice, especially considering this comment Zaph made a few months ago:
    "For the record, the W15 is currently my favorite 5" driver and my current reference system has 2 of them per side with a Peerless 810921, soon to be replaced with a DXT waveguide."

It seems that the DXT is not as good as first expected (I could be wrong ops: )

For the W/M crossover, I expect I will have to get some measurements of the drivers in the enclosure, and go from there. I would like to try active at around 300hz if cost allows.

So, would any one care to comment on this "design" ? (more of an idea I guess ops: )

Tweeter recommendations, crossover advice and general comments would be greatly appreciated...
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

I have a W15/OW1 design that I think sounds awesome. It's not Troels design but one made by Rick Craigh. I'm very interested in trying Troels crossover sometime. I do however think that there are better tweeters to match with the W15. I believe the W15 should be crossed in the 1,5-2,0khz region and the OW1 simply won't do that. The Peerless HDS, SS6600, Seas 27TBFC-G, 27TDFC, Millennium, Dayton RS28A and B&G Neo3PDR are tweeters I would look at. I'm in love with the Neo3 so that's probably the one I would end up with... :B

Comment

• Bastek
      • Apr 2008

I have a W15/OWI Troels super mini monitor and it sounds great. The XO point is at 3khz, so the OW1 is a great match. I also have the SSR with the neocd 3.0, but the W15/OW1 sounds a little more refined. Jonasz, what's the crossover point in your design?

Comment

• Carl V
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Bastek
        I have a W15/OWI Troels super mini monitor and it sounds great. The XO point is at 3khz, so the OW1 is a great match. I also have the SSR with the neocd 3.0, but the W15/OW1 sounds a little more refined. Jonasz, what's the crossover point in your design?
        I have a std. SSR with Ribbon. Front ported PE enclosure.
        Can you elaborate on your "more refined" impressions.
        I also have an 1801 for a comparison
        as well as Borealis signature.

I'm always curious as to how others differentiate & define
        their impressions. I'm not looking for a bashing or a fanboy
        respsonse.

thanks

Comment

• Bastek
          • Apr 2008

On my W15/ow1 the highs are more delicate and smooth. The mids are smooth and laid back but detailed and accurate. In the bass the ssr wins due to size.
          Now these qualities apply to the SSR, but it's a little more aggressive (forward) and warmer presentation. It's personal preference really, and both are great monitors.

Comment

• tktran
            • Jan 2005

Did you see Troel's design with the SEAS 22TAF/G?

Crossed over at 2.4KHz, which seems to be a good compromise of getting the W15cy's H3 down, and not stressing the tweeter.

I'd like to hear opinions of the 1801 and Borealis Sig.

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
              • Dec 2007

Thanksr the advice so far :T

Originally posted by tktran
              Did you see Troel's design with the SEAS 22TAF/G?

Crossed over at 2.4KHz, which seems to be a good compromise of getting the W15cy's H3 down, and not stressing the tweeter.

I'd like to hear opinions of the 1801 and Borealis Sig.
              Hmm, I forgot about that one.

I am keen to try and do something with the HDS as they are available locally and seem very good for the money. I guess I'll have to start learning how to design a crossover.

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

I'm planning on crossing my Seas Excel W15CYs around 1650hz in an MTM configuration. It'll have a modified Seas DXT with H1212 motor. The final version will be a MTMWWWW with Hivi D5.8 woofers.

I've used the Seas Excel W15CH with Hiquphon OW1 and found the sound problematic. Too much harmonic distortion through the presence region for my tastes.

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
                  • Dec 2007

Yes, I read a post when you mentioned using the W15. Do you think I would be better off going mtmww? I have enough W15's to do it if it is worthwhile.

I am restricted to a total volume of around 35-40l which will give me a sealed q of close to .577 in a MTWW which I think I would like. Going MTMWW in the same volume would put it closer to .7 (just guessing) which would most likely be good too.

I guess it comes down to the crosover. I expect it would be easier to match SPL wise using the MTMWW? If going MTWW, I was wondering if the SDX7's would need to be wired in series to match the output of one W15. Going active would solve these issues....

Comment

• Jonasz
                    • Nov 2004

Jonasz, what's the crossover point in your design?
                    I believe it's 2,5khz.

Bastek: Are you using the updated crossover or the original?

Comment

• Bastek
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Jonasz
                      I believe it's 2,5khz.

Bastek: Are you using the updated crossover or the original?

I'm using crossover version V3, Troels removed the schematic last summer for some reason.

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by HYPERTUNE
                        Do you think I would be better off going mtmww? I have enough W15's to do it if it is worthwhile.

I've been liking MTM midrange sections lately- but I'm sure you could get some great sound with just one. If you've got them, I say use them.

Jed

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                          I've been liking MTM midrange sections lately- but I'm sure you could get some great sound with just one. If you've got them, I say use them.

Jed
                          Thanks for the advice Jed. That's what I'm going to do. I'd be interested to see what you do for a crossover so please let me know when you get it sorted.

Comment

• HYPERTUNE
                            • Dec 2007

Here is a quick SW model of what I am planning. Translam mahogany ply with billet aluminium baffles.

The baffles will be separate (MTM and WW) as the total height is about 41" which is bigger than the x axis travel of my mill.

The MTM baffle has a "waveguide" built in for the tweeter. I hope to learn more about the effect of a waveguide as I would like to make something that would help flatten the response of the HDS (raise the bottom end to match the rising top end response) and increase the rolloff around the chosen crossover point. Judging by the results Zaph got, http://www.zaphaudio.com/hornconversion.html
                            this would be possible if I could make a WG profile that boosted the output about 1k higher overall than Zaph saw with the profile he used.

Also, is the position and spacing of the woofers important? I'm guessing no.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• jkrutke
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                              I'm planning on crossing my Seas Excel W15CYs around 1650hz in an MTM configuration. It'll have a modified Seas DXT with H1212 motor. The final version will be a MTMWWWW with Hivi D5.8 woofers.
                              Great minds think alike. I was thinking of doing the same thing, right down to the motor swap. (but not the WWWW part)
                              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jed
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jkrutke
                                Great minds think alike. I was thinking of doing the same thing, right down to the motor swap. (but not the WWWW part)
                                Thanks John, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get to that design anytime soon. I do have a stockpile of W15CYs though, and went through the motor swap tests with the H1212 and DXT... so it looks like a natural combination. If you do a 2-way, maybe I can do a open baffle 3-way to mix things up a bit. And then there is the pair of M20 Madisound cabinets I have sitting unused.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"