X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyberspyder
    • Apr 2008

Building a set of ZMB4 (Build Log)

Hello all, I'm posting a build log on my set of ZBM4. I've just gotten referred to this site, so the build is halfway done. Have taken alot of pics, so it'll be better if I just give you a link to my build log to date. Further updates will be included here.

For my wood shop summative, I've decided to make some DIY bookshelf speakers. Normally, MDF would be use, but to cut that during class time would require having respirators and goggles for all 24 guys. So no MDF. :( BUT I have scrounged up some 3/4" Baltic Birch/Russian Plywood as a substitute...

Brendan
    Last edited by ThomasW; 16 April 2008, 17:27 Wednesday.
  • yousuredo2
    • Jun 2006

welcome to the site
    Love the shop, Lots of good tools...
    chris
    My System
    ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
    ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
    ~ Onkyo tx sr805
    ~ Sony PS.3
    ~ Xbox 360
    ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
    ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
    ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
    ~ Behringer ep2500
    ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• cyberspyder
      • Apr 2008

Thanks!

update!

April 10, 2008

(the SCREAMING/YELLING text has been removed by the moderator)

If the behavior of the OP doesn't mellow out I'll lock this thread.

Some pics, along with my naked speakers & tweeters.

Images not available

Brendan
      Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:30 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Operandi
        • May 2007

Nice to see your build here, looks like a great 1st project.

Comment

• cyberspyder
          • Apr 2008

Nice to see you too....For people who ask, I'm just 16, so don't kill me over tiny details (please!)

Brendan

Comment

• cyberspyder
            • Apr 2008

Zaph, Port placement

As per title, where am I supposed to put my port tube? There wereno exact measurements on the plans...

Brendan

Comment

• Gir
              • Dec 2006

As per title, where am I supposed to put my port tube? There wereno exact measurements on the plans...
              You can kind of put it wherever you please. Just don't place it directly behind the woofer, and leave at least 3" between the end of the port and any obstructions, namely the wall of the enclosure. Some people like to put it in the front, some in the back, others on top. Wow, that sounds kind of dirty 8O
              -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• ch83575
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cyberspyder
                Nice to see you too....For people who ask, I'm just 16, so don't kill me over tiny details (please!)

Brendan

Wow, only 16 and already OCD with the diy projects. Looks great so far, keep up the good work!

-Chad

Comment

• bikedave
                  • Aug 2007

Six zipties per inductor ought to hold em! Looks good man, keep it up!

Comment

• cyberspyder
                    • Apr 2008

Little touchy there mod...I'll stop the cyber yelling

Comment

• cyberspyder
                      • Apr 2008

Another update! (God, don't you just love them?)
                      April 11, 2008
                      -One enclosure done, and mocked-up with baffle & Xover as reference; the other one will be completed on Tuesday, as I don't have class until then. Oh, and a small change in plans...originally I was aiming for varnish, but after trying it out on a scrap piece, I can safely say that it looks like crap. So, no varnish, but staining is the next option. Going to pick up some of this Golden Oak stuff next time I go to Home Depot, as well as my carpet padding.

Images not available

I'd say it turned out pretty nice, all the mitres came out perfectly, everything is square...all that's left is to route the roundover/chamfers and drill out the holes.

Brendan
                      Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:31 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Landroval
                        • Dec 2005

Very nice to see what can be done with good tools. Although you could have gone with a non-box design as you have the possibility to easyly cut fancy shapes. Non-parallel walls would do good. Well, you'll do more speakers.. good job so far.

Comment

• Bill Schneider
                          • Sep 2007

Since John hasn't yet posted the xover modification for the Dayton tweeter you are using, have you made any changes yourself?

Your attention to build detail is _very_ nice for someone who is 16 years old. I know plenty of older guys who couldn't hold a candle to your workmanship and planning. This skill will serve you very well in the future.
                          My audio projects:
                          https://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• cyberspyder
                            • Apr 2008

John actually has, but I'm not allowed to show you guys...will reveal when he says it's OK...I was talking to him about the issue about a month ago.

Comment

• cyberspyder
                              • Apr 2008

I went to Home Depot today for some stain and carpet padding. Outcome? A can of Golden Oak, and no carpet padding, because 'they couldn't cut section of a roll for me and there weren't any scraps'. Yea, bullcrap. Anyhow, will try the carpet store beside my mom's workplace...

Image not available

Brendan
                              Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:32 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Gir
                                • Dec 2006

Why couldn't they cut you any? I got a few feet from HD for my sonotube no problem.
                                -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                  • Apr 2008

I wish I knew, but the guy was like oh, we can't cut you any, you're going to have to buy the whole roll, so I was like screw you.

Meh

Comment

• Gir
                                    • Dec 2006

I wish I knew, but the guy was like oh, we can't cut you any, you're going to have to buy the whole roll, so I was like screw you.
                                    Wow, what jerk! I'd call HD and complain. I hope you got the guys name!
                                    -Tyler

Comment

• JasonB
                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cyberspyder

Meh
                                      Last time I needed some carpet padding I asked at my friendly local carpet store and they said I could take whatever I wanted out of their garbage bin.

Jason

Comment

• WillyD
                                        • Feb 2006

Your attention to build detail is _very_ nice for someone who is 16 years old. I know plenty of older guys who couldn't hold a candle to your workmanship and planning. This skill will serve you very well in the future.
                                        Like me, at 21 years of age! I'll just use my lack of a good workshop as an excuse to make myself feel better....

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                          • Apr 2008

April 15, 2008
                                          -I'M PISSED. The forstner bit I'm using (1 3/8") is a millimeter Too small for my POS tweeters. Whoever made the tweeter must like to torture people. The hole is fine for my port, but it looks like I'll have to sand/file off the excess by hand or a drum sander...(*!@&(^!$#(^!#(^$(

Images not available
                                          ARRRG!!!!!! GET IN THE HOLE YOU STUPID POS!!!

Images not available

That is all...
                                          Brendan
                                          Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:32 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

There's this thing called the Metric System. Most speaker mfgrs and speaker parts mfgrs use it.

BTW there will be a limited time when you can effectively change the title of this thread. I've never timed it, but eventually you will be able to edit the title in the box, but that edit won't change the title on the forum. So you might want to leave the "Updated" extension off unless you want it stuck on a day never to be changed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• stangbat
                                              • Jan 2008

I used the Aura tweeters when building the ZDT3. Like you, I used a 1-3/8" bit and then sanded. It didn't take too long. But yes, it would have been nice to just drop them in.

Comment

• bonehead848
                                                • Apr 2007

If nothing else, better too small than too big

Comment

• JonP
                                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by stangbat
                                                  I used the Aura tweeters when building the ZDT3. Like you, I used a 1-3/8" bit and then sanded. It didn't take too long. But yes, it would have been nice to just drop them in.
                                                  Check Zaph's blog several entries back. He does mention on the ZBM4 pages that the 1 3/8" would be too small. In the blog entry, he talks about where to order a 1 7/16", (rare) that is actually just a hair large, but a layer of tape makes it snug.

What we really need is a true 36 mm bit, and that seems to not be available. Ah well, either the 1 7/16", or some finger exercise will do it!

Me, I've lost the 1 3/8" bit I bought a month or two ago.. :M and will try the third path of seeing how well my Jasper Jig and router will do at 1 7/16".... :T

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                    • Apr 2008

The problem is that the tweeter is tapered, and is wider at the base when compared to the front. Anyhow, I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Bought some pre-stain today and will test it.

Image not available

Brendan
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:32 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Rich Jura
                                                      • Jun 2007

Thought I posted earlier today...GONE....Anyway great looking miters you have there. Even with the pre-stain the edges will be considerably darker.
                                                      I always stain my left over pieces to see how it looks and try different topcoats.
                                                      For the tweeter dilema I wound up buying the larger bit and ran it down to a local machine shop to have it ground down. He charged me $15 it was well worth it.

NICE PROJECT

Later
                                                      Rich

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                        • Apr 2008

OK, so I just tried the combo on a piece of scrap, and the results were pretty shiesty..I don't know if I like the stain, as it's still a nasty colour...my guess is that the birch is really white, compared to other wood species, so there's no yellow in the wood to compliment the stain. What about oils? I can try it with tung oil tomorrow.

Brendan

Comment

• JonP
                                                          • Apr 2006

You might try some amber shellac, or better, the Seal Coat product by Zinnser that basically is very dewaxed amber shellac. The amber color (which isn't strong) will add warmth, and cause the grain figure to stand out more.

Pigment stains seem to not do as well with light or varying grain woods, and birch qualifies... Clear dye types might do better, and the shellac will act like one. Haven't acutally used it on Birch, but I used some on some Mahogany veneer a while ago, ended up using nothing but Seal Coat for the entire finish...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture225.webp
Views:	73
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	939611

Check in the rest of my disorganized 'Bucket to see a shot of the pair with the unfinished veneer to get an idea of how much they were darkened by, uh, lots of layers... A few layers gets most of the way there, though.

Image not available

You could put anything on top of the Seal Coat, that's the purpose of getting it fully dewaxed... it is compatible with anything out there...

Give it a try on some scrap...
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:47 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Rich Jura
                                                            • Jun 2007

Minwax now has a water based stain that also comes in pastel colors. I just finished a baltic birch plywood project and did it in a purple, looks sort of neat. You have to have them mix it and only comes in quarts.

Later
                                                            Rich
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• stangbat
                                                              • Jan 2008

I've used the Minwax Golden Oak stain several times, but only on oak. And it looks very nice when applied to oak. So I'd guess that the birch is too light as JonP mentioned.

Comment

• phisch
                                                                • Mar 2008

You might try some amber shellac, or better, the Seal Coat product by Zinnser that basically is very dewaxed amber shellac. The amber color (which isn't strong) will add warmth, and cause the grain figure to stand out more.
                                                                Jon- how did you apply the Seal Coat to the veneer, spray or brush? Is there sanding steps in between coats? Nice finish on those Modula MTs.

Mike
                                                                Mike

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                  • Apr 2008

OK, so I tried the tung oil today, and I must say that it's a better finish overall..I would go and get the other finishes if it guarantees a good result, but the polymerized tung oil is provided by my class (covered by our course fee), so therefore free. Will return the stains today, here are some pics:

Image not available

(top: stain, middle: plain wood, bottom: tung oil)

Images not available

Brendan
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:33 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• JonP
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by phisch
                                                                    Jon- how did you apply the Seal Coat to the veneer, spray or brush? Is there sanding steps in between coats? Nice finish on those Modula MTs.

Mike
                                                                    Thanks...

Uh, yes... I started by doing a few brushed strokes of thinned Seal Coat, originally thinking to just use it as a sealer and grain figure improver. Then, I decided to go ahead and do a full Shellac finish, and literally kept going with full strength Seal Coat. I went to a HVLP sprayer after the first few. Spraying is much better, it's easy to get brush marks.

Good thing about Shellac, it dries very fast. Bad thing, it takes a lot of layers to build. I got on a schedule of 3 coats, 30-45 min between, then dry for 3 or more hours, than block (wet) sand. And repeat... A lot.

This is sounding disturbingly close to a piano black finish, isn't it? I used Micro Mesh sanding products for final sanding... great stuff BTW.

Doing it all over again, I'd probably use Urethane or something else as the top layer, it would have needed less. But I really like how it turned out.

Brendan... you guys have a big roundover bit! I like how BB looks in a roundover.

Comment

• Gir
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2006

OK, so I tried the tung oil today, and I must say that it's a better finish overall..I would go and get the other finishes if it guarantees a good result, but the polymerized tung oil is provided by my class (covered by our course fee), so therefore free. Will return the stains today, here are some pics:
                                                                      Did you wipe off the extra stain after a few minutes on the left one? It looks like you let it sit on there too long or didn't wipe it off.
                                                                      -Tyler

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                        • Apr 2008

I did wipe it off, but ths BB must've been super absorbent.

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Apr 2008

April 21, 2008
                                                                          -Did all my dado work, and cabinets are starting to look like cabinets. Just missing the routing & holes, then I'm GTG for finishing.

Image not available

My coworker/friend/fellow student in the background

Images not available

Brendan
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:33 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2008
                                                                            • 60

This is really a tiny update, as I've just finished putting the second coat of tung oil on my sample piece, and boy is it smooth! I'm hoping after several more coats the piece will reach a semi-gloss finish, much better than polyurethane in my opinion. This coat was put on using 320 wet/dry paper and finished up with a rubbing using old t-shirts.

Images not available

Oooh reflective.....

Brendan
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:34 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2002
                                                                              • 3798

#39
                                                                              Brendan, what brand of Tung Oil are you using? There are a lot of different varieties -- some pure unprocessed Tung, some mixed with varnish, some boiled to make them harden faster.

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Apr 2008
                                                                                • 60

#40
                                                                                The 'Antique Refinishing' thing from Minwax---polymerized tung oil.

Comment

• Rich Jura
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2007
                                                                                  • 9

#41
                                                                                  Nice dado cuts, were those done on a table saw or shaper? If saw would you be kind enough to mention the brand.I've tried a couple ( dado blades ) but none have cut that clean.

Thanks
                                                                                  Rich

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2008
                                                                                    • 60

#42
                                                                                    Table saw, using a dado head. I cant' remember the brand of the top of my head, so I'll check tomorrow.

Comment

• Rich Jura
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2007
                                                                                      • 9

#43
                                                                                      Thanks...appreciate it

Later
                                                                                      Rich

Comment

• David_D
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2008
                                                                                        • 197

#44
                                                                                        Hi Brendon,
                                                                                        Great build log.
                                                                                        Your cabinet is coming out beautifully!
                                                                                        Great attention to detail. Let us know how they sound.

Rich,
                                                                                        I've been using a Freud 8" Dado on a 10" Ridgid Table saw. Great combo, great cuts. 3/4"w x 1/2"d - no sweat.

Keep it up guys!
                                                                                        -David
                                                                                        -David

As we try and consider
                                                                                        We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• cyberspyder
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2008
                                                                                          • 60

#45
                                                                                          Yes, but I'm pissed/sad/angry currently. I was a bit careless on the router today when routing my pieces, and whaddaya know...disaster. I'm pissed at myself because I shoulda routed everything BEFORE I cut them up into little pieces, and now that decision has come to haunt me. Long story short, the piece dove headfirst into the bit TWICE, and I now have some divots that'll give my speakers some character....Bahumba. I don't have anymore wood so that's that.

Also, as you can probably see/guess, I routed all the pieces today. Oh, and I redid the routing/finishing on another scrap piece, and the results were nothing short of spectacular.

Images not available

Brendan
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 19:34 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"