If I were to cross over at 1.4 KHz, L-R 4... what tweeter choices would I have?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

If I were to cross over at 1.4 KHz, L-R 4... what tweeter choices would I have?

I've been reading Mark K's new dipole project, and I found interesting that he said that he was going to cross over at 1.4 KHz, so the RS-28a wasn't the best choice. He chose the Seas 27TBFC.

So I thought that, since I'm using the same RS225's he's using, I may just skip the RS150's I was thinking about using as mids, and do a MTM with the 225's, a tweeter, and a nice subwoofer (the RS 265 and 315 are on my short list).

But, besides the 27TBFC and its cloth counterpart, which other tweeters in that price range can cross over that low? I can't think of any, besides the Milleniums and Scan-Speaks, which are quite pricier.

Is the 27TBFC in a class of its own? I know the DXT tweeter can't cross over that low.
    Javier Huerta
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

I assume you're ruling out the Scan Speak 6600 due to cost, and the 7100 and Millennium also. Those could run LR4 @ 1.4kHz. The 7100 I was able to cross 2nd order at 2kHz, something I haven't been able to do satisfactorily with any other tweeter.

But in the under $50 class... Yeah, the Seas 27 series are in a class of their own. Possibly the Vifa DX25. It looks a bit better in my tests than Mark K's. I'd like it more if it had a better shaped top end.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

Maybe the Peerless HDS can do it?

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Thanks John, Jonas...

Yeah, the Peerless, Millenium and Scan-Speak crossed my mind. But they are quite a bit more expensive than the 27TBFC.

I remember reading somewhere (perhaps it was at Zaph Audio? I think so!) that the 27TBFC is one of the best tweeters out there. I just saw the Tweeter Mishmash article (again!) and I don't see anything that even comes close at the price. So I guess it's the 27TBFC!

Thanks a lot for your help!
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• peter_m
          • Sep 2007

27TBFC/G is also better then many in terms of off-axis response.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"