X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

IB15 questions

Hi everyone. I was wondering how the AE IB15 REALLY performed for say open baffle bass? I did a search and all the threads were pretty old. Any new info?
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • chrismercurio
    • May 2007

You can use the Xbaffle software to predict.... but I don't have a pair or measurements.

Comment

• mpotoka
      • Sep 2007

What specifically are you looking for as far as information? I installed 4 of them in my theater about five months ago.

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

I guess I'm wondering if there is any 3rd party measurements, are the TS parameters consistent, how high can they be run, distortion, impedance & inductance, etc. Just general performance questions. Obviously with 14mm xmax and Qts of .707 they model well for OB, but how do they REALLY perform?
        ~Brandon 8O
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• mpotoka
          • Sep 2007

Well I wasn't into the speaker designing thing yet when I put them in, so I didn't do any testing with them before installing. I am going to be selling my house in a few months, so I was planning on taking them out and finding other uses for them. I could take some tests then. Right now I don't have any way for measuing distortion, but I hope to have soundeasy by then.

I could go put my impedance jig on them, but how they are installed would probably make them all measure a little different. I could do some nearfield measurements if you were interested in that.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

These are JohnJ's published specs for the newest version of the driver.

Fs: 16Hz
            Qms: 6.8
            Vas: 439L
            Cms: .45mm/N
            Mms: 220g
            Rms: 3.239
            Xmax: 18.5mm
            Xmech: 25mm
            Sd: 830sqcm
            Vd: 3.07L (p-p)
            Qes: .78
            Re: 5.5ohm
            Le: .33mH
            Bl:12.49
            Pe: 500W
            Qts: .7
            1WSPL: 86dB
            2.83V: 87.3dB

There are several dozen of the new version in use. So far everyone is quite pleased with how they preform. But no one using them has a testing rig.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mpotoka
              • Sep 2007

What would I need to properly test these? I figure its the least I can do compared to all the information I've gotten from here. I a picking up my M-Audio Firewire Solo later this week (bought on craigslist). I have an ECM8000 Mic, and have Speaker Workshop setup right now (although will have to re-do things once I get the firewire card)

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Thanks Thomas for info. mpotoka could you run an impedance and also do this: push the cone in to about xmax and run an impedance and then push it out to about xmax adn run an impedance. If it looks even somewhat decent I may just buy to test out.
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• mpotoka
                  • Sep 2007

I can do that once I have pick up my firewire card--I was using a laptop for measurements before, but my screen went caput about two weeks ago, so now it isn't portable anymore

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

For an OB, the biggie that T/S can't tell you is noise/chuffing from the backside of the driver. It can come from the pole vent and other places depending on the mechanical construction of the driver. You need to just set one naked on the bench, drive it to near Xmax at 20 Hz and listen for any noise.

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

What the heck, I bought one. I'd like to compare it to the B&C 15NW76 for bass duties in open baffle, so I may still pick one of those up. The idea was to make an all pro audio speaker to see for myself if there was anything to the hype. But low Fs, long xmax, and a Qts of .7 is just to perfect not to check out.
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• mpotoka
                        • Sep 2007

Well I'm not sure I did this right, or what it is going to tell you. Black is the driver just sitting on the ground. Blue is with my hand pusing it out, Red is with my hand pushing the driver in. Should I have done this differently? I didn't include the phase data for the push in/out because it was a big mess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ib15imp.webp
Views:	25
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	944523
                        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 10:30 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

Thanks. As long as you push in/out to about xmax the info is as good as you can get with out a Klippel. Looks pretty good as a woofer-motor stays pretty linear up to 1k Hz- which should allow a high cross point with a passive crossover. Inductance is low for a 15" subwoofer. We'll see what the frequency response is and hopefully it can run up to 250Hz or so. I'm surprised there isn't a break up visible in the impedance.
                          Last edited by augerpro; 10 April 2008, 23:09 Thursday.
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Brandon,
                            I've never heard of this method of testing. Can you explain a bit more the principals of how it works, and how you are interpreting the graphs.

thanks,
                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• mpotoka
                              • Sep 2007

Well I've got the woofer out, and I could get out a microphone and see what I get for a measurement. I suppose you really need it mounted in a baffle, and not laying on the ground?

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

Zaph had posted it once in his blog, it's referred to as Le(x). It's just an informal way to see changes in inductance (and hence how linear the motor is) as the excursion increases for those of us who don't have a Klippel. It's just a rough estimate. Ideally the impedance at rest and at xmax both in and out would be identical. If this were a mid obviously it would be a pretty poor cross to a typical tweeter since the variation in impedance would drastically affect the response of a passive crossover. Here is more info: https://web.archive.org/web/20081212233459/http://www.klippel.de/pubs/Klippel%20papers/Loudspeaker%20Nonlinearities%E2%80%93Causes,Parame ters,Symptoms_06.pdf
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 10:31 Saturday. Reason: Attach PDF
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by mpotoka
                                  Well I've got the woofer out, and I could get out a microphone and see what I get for a measurement. I suppose you really need it mounted in a baffle, and not laying on the ground?
                                  You don't have to bother, I have one coming. With an impedance of 28ohm @ 20k Hz obviously John is paying attention to the motor. And it's pretty linear in it's normal passband so I figure it's a safe buy to investigate further.
                                  Last edited by augerpro; 11 April 2008, 00:14 Friday.
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"