subwoofer recommandation for under $500?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

subwoofer recommandation for under $500?

hey guys, what are some subwoofer config for under $500 that are really attractive? ofcourse its mainly for music use but id be very interested in something that has a strong presence in 10-15hz region.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Is the $500 just for the driver or does that price include an amp, EQ, etc.?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Coconutout
      • Oct 2006

its got to be the whole deal under $500 minus the cabinet cost. im just curious as to what the possiblitis could be under this budget limit. now that much to read about subs that go as low as 15hz and satisefy most people with the budget limit of mine. im almost interested in unpublished ideas too. willing to experiment. have plenty of time

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Coconutout
        have plenty of time
        Only until Apr 10th.... Maelstrom pre-order..."Just do it"....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Coconutout
          • Oct 2006

yes i had seen that but wondererd what kind of amp would go with it... i doubt theres an amp thats $200 thats gonna do it justice... i do have a nad 2200. A/B amp with the subwoofer?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

How's this?
            Get the guaranteed best price on Live Power Amplifiers like the Nady XA-900 Pro Stereo Power Amp at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Coconutout
              • Oct 2006

that thing doesnt have a crossover tho. my nad 2200 does 1600w 4om bridged. i would rather go with that. what kind of crossovers would i use with such a setup? ive only ever dealt with plate amps. i would want independent volume control for the sub, too.

Comment

• servicetech
                • Sep 2007

Does your main A/V receiver not have a sub output?

Comment

• littlesaint
                  • Jul 2007

that thing doesnt have a crossover tho. my nad 2200 does 1600w 4om bridged. i would rather go with that. what kind of crossovers would i use with such a setup? ive only ever dealt with plate amps. i would want independent volume control for the sub, too.
                  I use a NAD 2200 for my sub. I love that amp. Best performance/dollars I've spent on equipment. Lots of power, good headroom, no fan noise. You just have to watch that the relays don't fail, but they're easy to replace.

Elemental Designs is pre-selling their eQ.2 for $100. No calibration software, but for $100 it looks like a decent sub EQ.
                  Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Coconutout
                    • Oct 2006

hey little saint, what driver are you running with the NAD 2200? and what crossover unit? i got stuck with Reckhorn B-1 from CSS that doesn't even do high cut off properly. i push it on, set it at 50hz and i still hear vocals from my subwoofer! and with the volume max, the unit is not nearly as loud as my 12" servo sub. i actually get louder bass running the NAD straight from the preamp than going thru the reckhorn with max volume. I'm running 2200 bridged to SDX 15". the people at avsforum think i'm doing something wrong with the B-1 and wont give me any other inputs such as what other crossovers are there under $100? is the NAD sufficient enough to get a decent SPL out of SDX 15"? these are some questions i wanted answered at avsforum and all i got was 25 replies of people telling me that i'm running the crossover wrong. well, i'm not, but the boneheads over there can't seem the get it thru their thick head... sorry to bring up an old post but i felt like i needed to talk to some intelligent people...

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

The Behringer CX2310 is ~$90

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Coconutout
                        • Oct 2006

im very close to purchasing this unit. do you have any experience with it? i just want something that has a clean high cut off filter and will go loud. of which two reckhorn is incapable of.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I have 2 of them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Coconutout
                            • Oct 2006

tell me, how is the high cut off filter? do you have problem with vocals seeping thru at high volumes?

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

It's pretty much all here...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• littlesaint
                                • Jul 2007

hey little saint, what driver are you running with the NAD 2200? and what crossover unit? ...
                                I replaced the driver in my Hsu TN1220HO with a Shiva-X from DIYCable. It modeled well in Unibox, but I'm waiting for eD to ship their EQ (pushed back to 5/01) to do real measurements. I'm using the NAD 2200 bridged into 4 ohms. The crossover is just my pre/pro set to 60Hz and a subsonic filter.
                                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Coconutout
                                  • Oct 2006

hm.. shiva's only 600w recommended... SDX is I think 4000w? i did manage to get some bass samples out of the sonosub by turning my preamp at an insanely high volume. (since the reckhorn controller's volume knob can't do its job) and i couldn't help notice how muddy it was compared to the 12" servo sub i have. i figure a new EQ would help but also doesn't more power= tighter sound? considering its a good quality amp. i'm waiting for eD EQ, too. seems like it would be a better choice than cx2310.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

i'm waiting for eD EQ, too. seems like it would be a better choice than cx2310.
                                    I'm not sure why all this is so confusing but apparently it is...

If you don't have a sub output signal from a receiver or pre-pro you must have a crossover and the eQ.2 isn't one.

The eQ.2 and the CX2310 are 2 very different things.

There is no crossover function in the eQ.2 since it's only a line level shifter with EQ and subsonic filter. The CX2310 is only a crossover (no EQ), it will also function as a line level shifter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Coconutout
                                      • Oct 2006

i was asking for a crossover and littlesaint replied eQ.2 so i assumed that he and i was recommending a crossover... i looked it over on their website again. yup, no crossover. that narrows it down. CX2310 or... DCX2496? would the 2X price difference become apparent in SQ? DCX also has some bells and whistles i dont need such as internal DAC and all those terminals that i will never have to use.

n/m. i found a deal for cx2310 on ebay. $65 including shipping. i just had to snatch it up

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"