Off Topic - Rockets, Equipment, Machines, Oh My!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

Off Topic - Rockets, Equipment, Machines, Oh My!

Hey guys. The last time I uploaded a few photos of my co-op with NASA a lot of you said to upload some more pics sometime. Well, here's a few shots from my camera phone I think you guys will find interesting!

This is my desk. It's very cluttered :T Oh, and that's another Penn Stater in the background! Sadly, after 2 years as a co-op and 5 years as a full-timer, he's moved on to bigger and better things. Well, actually smaller... UAVs to be exact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00159.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	869176

This is one of the receiver racks I was working with. I was testing a receiver that fell 80km at several hundreds (thousands?) of miles per hours :E It worked like a champ!

Name:	DSC00161.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	869177

Okay, this next pic is just terrible. However, you can gather one neat thing from it. That big green thing running parallel with the blue railing? That's a lathe. THE WHOLE THING. And those round thingies on the racks below it? Those are the chucks! As a little trivia fact, Wallops Flight Facility has the largest machine shop on the east coast!

Name:	DSC00163.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	869178

Okay, now here's the cool one. This is HyBolt (skinny thing behind the railing). She's about to be shook with 30,000lbs. of force provided by our friend "That huge 95,000W class A amplifier", which happens to be liquid cooled with ionized water. Say it with me now, "Ohhhhh, awwwweee..."

Name:	DSC00166.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	869179

HyBolt has an interesting shape. You can't see it in either photo, but instead of the usual cone shaped nose cone, it's more like a wedge shape. This is because HyBolt is going to test the aerodynamics and stresses, forces, and temperatures of supersonic speed that will occur with scram jets! That and a few other tricks I'm told. Here she is being strapped down to the table. Takes about 30 minutes to and hour to do since theres a few hundred screws and there's a torque pattern to follow. i.e. go around torquing everything to X amount of lbs, then go around again torquing it to Y amount of lbs, then one more time to Z amount of lbs.

Name:	DSC00167.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	869180
    Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:21 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

This here is a thermal vacuum chamber in one of the rooms I was testing things in.

Name:	DSC00168.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	850254

Here's the controls for it. Don't press the big button, don't press the big button... :twisted:

Name:	DSC00172.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	850255

This thinga-ma-jig was hooked up to the back of the chamber. I have no idea what it does, but if you do please comment!

Name:	DSC00174.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	850256

This was what I was actually testing in that room. They don't let me play with the big toys. This is a bell jar vacuum, which will simulate air pressure of about 200,000 ft. There's an altimeter behind the jar that you can see the edge of that displays the altitude on a really big analog meter. The thing I'm testing is a guidance camera for LeClair. We just needed to make sure it wouldn't overheat.

Name:	DSC00175.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	850257

And finally, substantial proof that I'm either working for NASA or a really good thief!

Name:	DSC00176.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	850258

I hoped you enjoyed the little slide show and something off topic a bit!
    Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:22 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

Neat pictures man.

Looks like a fun job..
      -Joe

Comment

• JonP
        • Apr 2006

Very Cool... and looks like quite a fun place to work for.

I think I know what the strange tube like object is... a hi-vac pressure gauge. (forgetting the official name) It actually is rather like a tube, in that it measures how many ions are left in the vaccum by way of conductivity...

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

We need pics of the alien bodies man!
          ~Brandon 8O
          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Gir
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonP
            I think I know what the strange tube like object is... a hi-vac pressure gauge. (forgetting the official name) It actually is rather like a tube, in that it measures how many ions are left in the vaccum by way of conductivity...
            Ahhh, that would make sense. Very interesting.

We need pics of the alien bodies man!
            Shhhh!

And yes, it is a very fun place to work! It's great that they really throw the interns into the mix. Right now I have about $100,000 sitting on my desk

One interesting thing to note is that most of our equipment is at least 20 years old, and the newest rocket motor we have is from 1991, but most date back to the 50's-70's (all military surplus). It's kind of interesting learning to work with the older analog equipment since we only learn the digital equipment in school nowadays. It's important to note, however, that all the equipment is extremely well kept and all the test equipment is regularly calibrated in one of our special labs.

Now I really wish I could have taken a picture of the motor storage facility, but they don't allow you to take cell phones within 50 yards of the fenced off area. I was in a room that was storing 70 Nike motors (the ones we launch, Nike Orion, can be seen here). Do you know what a sealed off room storing 70 motors containing 43% nitroglycerin smells like? You can actually feel it instantly drop your blood pressure, and after 10 or 15 minutes you start getting a little high... it was interesting to say the least. They had to ask us if we had heart problems before entering

Oh yeah, and one other interesting thing about the motor storage facility is that all cars must be parked facing away from the building with the keys in the ignition... just in case :E
            -Tyler

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

"That huge 95,000W class A amplifier",

Can you bi-amp with them....?

Also , will Homeland Security come and take my computer now?

Great pics!

This thinga-ma-jig was hooked up to the back of the chamber. I have no idea what it does, but if you do please comment!
              It's the output stage of my phono amp....
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• J-Dub
                • Jan 2006

HEY!

Now I know what to use to power that 74 dB sensitivity driver I found!
                Let me see 1 Watt 1 Meter... 3decibels per doubling of power... 95,000W..... :B

Thanks for sharing all of this!!!
                Very interesting.
                I had no idea that lathes got that big either!
                "The most successful people in this world have also failed the most"

Comment

• J-Dub
                  • Jan 2006

Sorry couldn't resist,

Can you imagine strapping your couch to that thing and playing the War of the Worlds program??

Wonder if anyone has a transducer that can top that!!! :rofl:
                  "The most successful people in this world have also failed the most"

Comment

• Gir
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by J-Dub
                    Sorry couldn't resist,

Can you imagine strapping your couch to that thing and playing the War of the Worlds program??

Wonder if anyone has a transducer that can top that!!! :rofl:
                    That's what the rocket's strapped to! They usually test anywhere from 10Hz-20kHz, and you can hear it through most of the building when they start testing... it's pretty wild!
                    -Tyler

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing!

Just don't get arrested for espionage. :P
                      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Gir
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                        Just don't get arrested for espionage.
                        Heh, no worries. Nothing in that facility is really "top secret". We're aloud to take pictures of the facility and share them how we please.

Now if only I could get a couch strapped onto that shaker table...
                        -Tyler

Comment

• Flipx99
                          • Nov 2006

Ever heard of AEDC? We got tons and tons of that stuff...I never get to see it though...

Comment

• Gir
                            • Dec 2006

Arnold Airforce Base? I've heard of them, but don't really know much. Do you work there?
                            -Tyler

Comment

• Gir
                              • Dec 2006

Hey guys, I've got something you all will really like: a closeup of a launch! Today and yesterday we were launching two new rocket prototypes on the island. The payload concept is known as Mesquito (named so because it's really friggin' annoying, and yes it's spelled wrong). Here's what I mentioned in the video clip:

This is a design concept named Mesquito (purposely spelled wrong). This is a single stage sounding rocket and will launch at 120G acceleration. The motor will burns for two seconds then separates from the payload, called the dart (only 4" diameter, very small). The dart will reach a maximum altitude of 80-100Km, roughly 50-62 miles in the air.

This particular launch was a test rocket launched from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island in Virginia. It has no TM and is tracked by both WFF's tracking radars and the Navy's AEGIS Ballistics Missile Defense System due to the extreme speed and acceleration of this rocket. Note that the rocket breaks the sound barrier only a few feet from leaving the rail.
                              So I took this video today with a bunch of the engineers from base watching the launch. Unfortunately, it was a total failure. When it was close to separating the motor, we think the fins may have broken off, causing it to "cone", or do a corkscrew type motion. This resulted in a poor separation and caused the motor to go into a flat spin. The motor was supposed to drop 4 miles down range, but ended up dropping just 300 yards out! We have no idea where the dart (the payload) ended up, but we suspect it was not much farther out since it became unstable as well. We'll know by tomorrow once all the video feeds are thoroughly examined.

Anyway, here's the video!

BTW, how do I embed a video? Will it not allow me to use html?
                              Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2023, 22:24 Saturday. Reason: Update video url
                              -Tyler

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

Too cool. And you get paid for having so much fun? :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2007

:agree: :5:
                                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

Where was this exactly? My dad works out at NASA here in houston, with the vacuum chambers where they test parts and such.
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Gir
                                      • Dec 2006

Where was this exactly? My dad works out at NASA here in houston, with the vacuum chambers where they test parts and such.
                                      On Wallops Island, Virginia. It's where NASA develops all their sounding rockets, and are launched usually on Wallops Island or White Sands, New Mexico.
                                      -Tyler

Comment

• looneybomber
                                        • May 2007

Cool job, now, I just need to finish up my electrical engineering degree.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"