Would a Wiki site make sense for our DIY projects?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Would a Wiki site make sense for our DIY projects?

I've decided to ask you guys this question, since I'm not really sure about this.

I bought a domain and hosting space to play around with and practice with a Content Management tool I use at work. Anyway, I tried installing the Mediawiki software, and it worked on the first try...

I think a Wiki site may make sense regarding some of our driver / design discussions. But I also think it may be superfluous (sp?) given the fact that this (and other forums) exist.

Any ideas? Would you use a Wiki site as a complement to discussion forums?

If you want to check it out, the address is http://www.euforiaaudio.com/euforiaWiki
    Javier Huerta
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Wikis are good for providing information, but not so much for open discussion. I think it would be great for finished projects, HOW-TOs, and reference information.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Coconutout
      • Oct 2006

i would love to see some published designs on wikipedia. by making this hobby more popular, it would make it easier for us to resell our projects. actually that would be the main reason why i'd want it on wikipedia. because im tired of sticking my neck out to convince people on craigslist that DIY speakers are the best value for the money. :P

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I agree for finished projects and How-To's would be awesome!

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Coconutout
          i would love to see some published designs on wikipedia. by making this hobby more popular, it would make it easier for us to resell our projects. actually that would be the main reason why i'd want it on wikipedia. because im tired of sticking my neck out to convince people on craigslist that DIY speakers are the best value for the money. :P
          I think the idea is a site using wiki software dedicated to designs, not posting designs on Wikipedia. Here's a wiki for Thinkpad laptops as an example:

Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• benchtester
            • Sep 2007

They are starting a Wiki over at diyaudio.com

I am interesting in people's opinions if it is a good format (once it is fleshed out) or is there a better way?

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I think a wiki is probably the best way because more then one person can make changes and what not.

Comment

• Operandi
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                I think a wiki is probably the best way because more then one person can make changes and what not.
                That and the information an be organized better. Just look at some of the mission accomplished threads; some are 20+ pages with good info scattered throughout.

The forums are great for the design phase and on going revisions to the design but I think a wiki could be a good way to present the end result.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Well, in case you want to try it out I'll host the site, then. I'll buy a domain name and point it to the wiki (after all, it's already paid for, so I may as well use the hosting as much as I can).

If anyone has any ideas for a name, feel free to post them here... I'll get the domain if it's available.

I thought about eviltwin.info... but not many people would get the reference
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• Operandi
                    • May 2007

Clever name, and it's not something you'll likely forget, I like it 8).

Comment

• fjhuerta
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006

eviltwin.com, .info, etc. are taken

Meanwhile, I switched the name to www.euforiaaudio.com/wiki, to make it a bit simpler.
                      Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Javier,

I think a wiki could work well for completed designs if it has strict access controls. It would work well for like the Guide to HTGuide Speakers thread, because I've just been to lazy to get in there and add more. However, I'm really lazy these days and like only having to visit one site. I'm not sure I would venture to the Wiki site to look at things. And, as you can see, if people would just add to the end of the Guide thread, I'll cut and paste it in, but no one has really stepped forward to do it.

I really like the way Jon does has done his design threads for the Modula's and NatP. I know you and I have both tried to do this. I think it works well. It is about the limit of my effort level.

Just my opinion. Please don't let it discourage you though. The more resources, the better.
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

One thing, get permission from the designers before you publish their designs.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2006

Hi Dennis,

I'm not sure I'd publish designs by someone else - I'd let everyone publish their designs if they are so inclined.

I'm not sure myself a Wiki is the way to go, but I also think it's a bit difficult sometimes to understand the basics of a design when reading through 30 pages of a thread

Still - it's free, it's there, and we can try it, so why not?

I'm modifying some things in the server at the moment. I'll post when the Wiki is finally ready (yeah, I forgot to do some things to the database).
                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• jdybnis
                              • Dec 2004

The long threads are fine for me as long the original poster puts links on the first page to any new posts with updated info. That is a lot less effort than maintaining a wiki page.
                              -Josh

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2006

wiki is running now correctly.

Javier Huerta

Comment

• crazybastard
                                  • Oct 2007

I always found mediawiki to be difficult to work with, and probably overkill for your purposes. Try dokuWiki.

Comment

• speedle
                                    • Dec 2006

That wiki is off to a great start though, thanks for working on that!

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2006

Thanks speedle, I did some work on it today. I think I now have a definite idea on what I want it to be. Hopefully, it'll take off. Some help will surely be appreciated!!!
                                      Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"