X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

New 18" driver

I have 2 Tempest-X drivers waiting for me to finish my basement so I can build an IB sub. I may have to re-think things.

;x( Maelstrom-X ;x(
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

I really don't need this driver, but I want it so bad.

Comment

• Mike P.
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by WillyD
      I really don't need this driver, but I want it so bad.
      I know what you mean, Will. First the Shiva and Tempest-X and now this thing. I don't know how Kevin does it, especially for those prices! Simply awesome!

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

For an IB, I'd just buy a couple more Tempests. About the same price/liter and the 15" T/S look a bit better for IB. For a box sub, the 18" looks a bit better.

Edit: $/liter for a single driver at full price (no sale prices, no quantity discount.)

12" $62
        15" $43
        18" $45

Comment

• NEO Dan
          • Nov 2007

There is also a IB specific 15" "on the boat" with the Maelstrom-X.
          Regards
          Dan

Comment

• JoshK
            • Mar 2005

Not sure if you guys have seen it but AE Speakers has said they are shipping their IB 15" now for $100/ea.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
              • Jan 2005

For IBs or dipoles our DPL-15 will be our driver of choice. The Maelstrom-X or Tempest-X both work, but cost more and the parameters of the DPL-15 promise better low-end extension.

All of them use XBL^2 motors and all use a fairly sophisticated AlCu shorting ring combination.

DPL-15 displaces a total of about 3.65L per driver (figuring X-max * cone area).

Singles: $125 each $34.25/L
              2-Pack $240/pr $32.87/L
              4-Pack $450 $30.82/L
              8-Pack $840 $28.76/L

That makes them either a better value or on parity with any other IB drivers on the market. You get the advanced motor design as a bonus. :B

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                • Aug 2001

The 18" looks amazing in 3-4 ft^3 with an LT.

Kevin...might you post some plans for a dipole sub using the DPL-15"?

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
                  The 18" looks amazing in 3-4 ft^3 with an LT.

Kevin...might you post some plans for a dipole sub using the DPL-15"?

Yea... I need to do something with the DPL-10 also. I have the top-end of a dipole system designed using the EX-6.5s and the BG Neo3PDR without the back-cup. I've been working hard on my CNC machine though rather than building speakers.

I have a 12.5" wide baffle full dipole design that uses four DPL-10s per side. It requires a bi-amped set-up but it is a full dipole set-up, passive crossover from 30Hz-20K. The DPL-10 is fairly affordable so I'm looking at offering a kit for the entire package.

CNC machine is first priority though.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                    • Aug 2001

I have a 12.5" wide baffle full dipole design that uses four DPL-10s per side.
                    Love to see even just the bottom part when you get it ready. H-frame?

Comment

• kevmurray
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                      <snip>
                      CNC machine is first priority though.
                      Hey Kev, I don't mean to hijack this thread but how about a brief mention of your CNC? Maybe I missed it in another post, but what are your main reasons for building it? I'm planning to build my own in the fall and wouldn't mind hearing about your experiences. I'm big into DIY and try to fabricate everything myself so a CNC (router & plasma) is high on my wishlist.:drool:
                      Kevin Murray

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Ahhh, this thread is just pure lust for a Malestorm anyway (which I have also), so what is a little hijacking?

Kevin, I saw you mention on AVS that is someone were to ask "on your forum..." Am I an idiot. I don't see a link to a diycable forum anywhere. I'm not sure I would visit much, because frankly 1 forum is enough for me these days, but I would like to know where it is. Or, was I misinterpreting you?
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Kevin's forum

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
                            Love to see even just the bottom part when you get it ready. H-frame?
                            Yes... it would be called an H-frame of sorts. The drivers are not forward firing. They point up, with the rear of one out of phase with the other.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by kevmurray
                              Hey Kev, I don't mean to hijack this thread but how about a brief mention of your CNC? Maybe I missed it in another post, but what are your main reasons for building it? I'm planning to build my own in the fall and wouldn't mind hearing about your experiences. I'm big into DIY and try to fabricate everything myself so a CNC (router & plasma) is high on my wishlist.:drool:
                              I've taken some pics and I'll post some information when I'm closer to done. It has been a lot of fun but I'm not making dust yet. It wasn't a cheap project but compared to a commercial machine it was a bargain. I'll have about $4K in it with software, computer, room, dust control etc...

The table is 25" x 49" with 7" on the z-axis. I'm building a small room to control dust. I don't need a plasma cutter because I don't do any sheet metal work. Mine is aimed 100% at cutting wood and maybe some very soft aluminum work. It is purely for prototype work. Production work is better done on a machine designed for it (much more expensive one).

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                Ahhh, this thread is just pure lust for a Malestorm anyway (which I have also), so what is a little hijacking?

Kevin, I saw you mention on AVS that is someone were to ask "on your forum..." Am I an idiot. I don't see a link to a diycable forum anywhere. I'm not sure I would visit much, because frankly 1 forum is enough for me these days, but I would like to know where it is. Or, was I misinterpreting you?
                                I try to keep it hidden. ;-) Thomas has exposed me though.

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

You shouldn't hide it - some good reading over there Kevin. I hadn't seen the SoundStage review of your Kepler speaker. That is a mighty impressive review.

I also noticed that you're no longer selling the amps as kits, which isn't obvious from your website. And, you got photos of your dipole...

Guess you're spending all your time on products and not the website... not a bad thing.

You ever going to sell your 6.5" etc. drivers to us, or just the sub drivers?
                                  - Ryan

Comment

• Bent
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2003

I think his website's name is contradictory to this forums rules, I believe Kevin was just showing integrity.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                      You shouldn't hide it - some good reading over there Kevin. I hadn't seen the SoundStage review of your Kepler speaker. That is a mighty impressive review.

I also noticed that you're no longer selling the amps as kits, which isn't obvious from your website. And, you got photos of your dipole...

Guess you're spending all your time on products and not the website... not a bad thing.

You ever going to sell your 6.5" etc. drivers to us, or just the sub drivers?
                                      Did you see the measurements? That midwoofer turned out pretty good distortion-wise. It spanks the Usher & competes favorably with the SS 8" unit used in the Wilson's from 50Hz up. Not bad considering it has 50% less cone area.

The peak in the tweeter at about 7K is probably a coil rub in that individual tweeter. It doesn't show up in any of my other measurements.

I'm not selling the current version of the EX-6.5 because it is a bear to work with. It has a surround resonance that takes some work in the crossover. Before I release something for DIY use I figure it should be easy to use. I'll correct it in the next run and then I'll probably release them for general consumption.

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

Did you see the measurements? ....

I'll correct it in the next run and then I'll probably release them for general consumption.
                                        Yeah, I saw the measurements. It was impressive.

I'm not sure that I, myself, will be in the market for a 6.5" woofer any time soon, but I think there are a few people here who would be interested in getting their hands on something like that. I look forward to you releasing some more drivers for us.
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• littlesaint
                                          • Jul 2007

Yea... I need to do something with the DPL-10 also. I have the top-end of a dipole system designed using the EX-6.5s and the BG Neo3PDR without the back-cup. I've been working hard on my CNC machine though rather than building speakers...
                                          How did you end up mounting the tweeter? I'm looking to use the Neo3PDR, but I don't really like mounting plate for it. If I remember, you were also looking at an alternative mounting for it.
                                          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• cjd
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2004

Kevin,

are any of your other products available to the DIYer? Or others interested in developing with that product, at any rate?

Also, ping me if you're looking for a hand keeping the website up to date.
                                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                              How did you end up mounting the tweeter? I'm looking to use the Neo3PDR, but I don't really like mounting plate for it. If I remember, you were also looking at an alternative mounting for it.
                                              I used the BG mounting plate.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"