X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Bassbins for Maggie 1.6's.

My friend just got a pair of Maggie 1.6's and we were thinking about what would be good for bassbins. I was thinking a single Aurasound NS10 for each. Would the NS10 cross high enough to the maggies? I believe they play down to 500hz.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If available the NS12 is a better choice since it has Aura's best motor design.

Or....

If he has available floor-space, another option is to use a line array of 6.5" or 8" drivers. A line array will be a better match to the line source planar...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Well he does have a bunch of these mids. They are made by a company with research at the end of the name. I think he has 24 of them.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
        Well he does have a bunch of these mids. They are made by a company with research at the end of the name..
        That's not enough info to go on...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Pretty sure they are 6.5's and the company is not permitted to be spoken of here.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I bet your friend can get the help he needs here...http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...i0&board=127.0

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Maggie 1.6's will play a lot lower than 500. They're advertised as full range although I'm guessing they'd like a crossover somewhere in the 80-200 range pretty well.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Your right... So we could just add a sub that plays up to about ~80-100hz. I don't know where I got the 500 from. His are 1.6FS or QR or something like that. Unless they play lower then the 1.6's listed on the website. Do you think having a midrange line array would create a lot of negative effects with the Maggies playing a lot of the same frequency range? I haven't really heard any Maggies before so I'm not sure how much punch that low end has opposed to traditional cone drivers.

Comment

• mikela
                  • Mar 2008

F3 = 40Hz on the 1.6QRs.

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

I think QR stands for quasi ribbon which describes all the Maggie 2-ways. It just means they have a planar tweeter instead of the true ribbon tweeter of the bigger 3-ways. Thomas is the Maggie expert so he can advise you best on where to cross them. Here's his thread about adding bass bins to the MMG, the cheapest 2-way they make at $600/pr factory direct. The 1.6 is bigger and a step up from the MMG.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Planar dipoles have always been one of my favorite speakers. The primary issues creating a good DIY dipole planar system have been the cost and availability of drive units. The B&G RD series drivers are $pendy, and need a higher than advertised XO point to sound their best. In addition they have a soft top-end and beam

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"