X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ba123
    • Mar 2006

Any 6.5" 2-way budget designs?

I am looking to build a pair of 2-way bookshelf speakers to use in my garage but after much searching haven't come up with much. I want to spend no more than about $150 for the drivers and crossover parts and would like a 6.5" or larger driver but haven't found any that fit these two requirements - everything seems to either use smaller woofers or costs more due to better drivers/crossovers. Does anyone know of any designs that would fit? Again it is only in a garage so it doesn't have to be great, I would just like it to play at an average level and have a small bit of bottom end extension. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited by ba123; 27 March 2008, 22:59 Thursday.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Not really too many "budget" designs here. Cheap and DIY don't really go together much as most of us over build and what not. 30% of DIY is overkill

Anyways I don't know of any that are 150 for a pair. 150 each yes.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

The Microbes might be able to come close... But they are 5" mids.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

This comes close but is an MTM and costs about $175.

Comment

• DPA101
          • Feb 2008

Dayton BR-1 kit sounds like a good fit.
          Dave

Comment

• ba123
            • Mar 2006

Thanks for the great replies. I did look at the microbe, but I would like something with a little more displacement if possible. I would love to build the BAMTM or one of the RSS180 based speakers - Modula, RSS180/Seas, Cryolite etc - but unfortunately they are just a bit more then I would like to spend and would probably be a bit overkill for my garage.

I had forgotten about the BR-1 though. If I order the drivers and crossover parts separately using the MurphyBlaster revised crossover that would fit in my budget. That might be a good option... Do any of you know the driver layout on the baffle or port dimensions?

Comment

• DPA101
              • Feb 2008

This document should have it.

Dave

Comment

• servicetech
                • Sep 2007

You could do a set of Dayton 8's or Dayton II's

I am one of the few that is more into the "budget projects", but I choose to stick around here because most of the people are more knowledgeable than I am. It's hard to learn from people that know less than you do I've been building low budget systems since I was a 16.

One day when the kids grow up and the wife goes back to work I'll able to afford a $1,000 speaker system, but until then I'm just gonna experiment and learn.

Comment

• Emprov
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                  http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

This comes close but is an MTM and costs about $175.
                  Actually it's a bit more than that. Seas raised the price of the tweeters by $11-12 in Feb so it kicked up the price of the parts by $25 or so. Just the Madisound order came to around $125 or so before shipping. DA175's were $78 before shipping, plus terminals and acoustic stuffing. It's coming out closer to $225 before shipping and cabinets. I just ordered the parts last night and I'll be starting on the cabs tomorrow or Saturday.

For a project costing almost half that, check out Wayne's Dayton Budget Project. I made a pair for my parents and they sound really, really nice. Not a ton of bass but they're very pleasant sounding, not fatiguing at all and they'd work really well for background party music or if you just want to kick back and check out some tunes. With a sub, they'd make fantastic mains for small to medium sized listening rooms when placed correctly.

Edit: Just saw the 6.5 requirement, Wayne's DBP has a 5.5. The BR-1 may be what you're looking for. Check out the Dayton II's in the post above for a modded crossover.

Comment

• owdi
                    • Feb 2008

I'm surprised there aren't more WT designs out there with the DA175-8. It looks like it's easier to work with than the RS180-8, and costs half as much. It's impedance and response is so close to the L18, I'm tempted to drop one into my Zaphaudio L18/27TBFCG speaker, adjust the tweeter LPAD, and see what happens.

Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

But doesn't perform as well as the RS series as far as distortion goes.

Comment

• peter_m
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by DPA101
                        Dayton BR-1 kit sounds like a good fit.
                        http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-640
                        an option for the same drivers with a tweeked x-over: http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=pe_br1.html

Originally posted by owdi
                        I'm surprised there aren't more WT designs out there with the DA175-8
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Moser_MT_with_DA175_and_HiVi_K1_XO.gif
Views:	9
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	944469

Originally posted by ba123
                        I am looking to build a pair of 2-way bookshelf speakers to use in my garage but after much searching haven't come up with much. I want to spend no more than about $150 for the drivers and crossover parts
                        Not perfect but close: http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker19.html

Peter

EDIT: out of all the suggestions I would vote for the BAMTM. Little more money but the tweeter is unbeatable and two DA-175 per side will allow you to play things louder and cleaner!
                        Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 22:31 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Turn2
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by owdi
                          I'm surprised there aren't more WT designs out there with the DA175-8. It looks like it's easier to work with than the RS180-8, and costs half as much. It's impedance and response is so close to the L18, I'm tempted to drop one into my Zaphaudio L18/27TBFCG speaker, adjust the tweeter LPAD, and see what happens.

Dan
                          Silver Als

This 2-way with the DA175 and the Dayton silkie would fit.

Comment

• Geoff Gunnell
                            • Nov 2006

For inexpensive garage speakers I'd use car audio componets like these 6x9 two ways:
                            http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zS2ILmN...0SPS69C2&tp=91.
                            There is a DIY aspect: You'll need to build your own enclosures. Those little wedge shaped prebuilt 1/8th cubic foot 6x9 enclosures are way too small. I've built speakers like this couple of times and around 1 cubic foot works well with 6x9's.

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Build the TriTrix MT's I think they said about 120 in parts.

Comment

• DPA101
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                Build the TriTrix MT's I think they said about 120 in parts.
                                Forgot about those. They should sound much better than the BR-1 although you'll need to build you own cabinets (which is a good thing if you can).
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"