DIY Sub almost done, looking into a Center.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Villainstone
    • Mar 2008

DIY Sub almost done, looking into a Center.

Hey there guys I am almost done with my subwoofer enclosure and I have enough wood left over to do a Center channel. I will need a bit of help on this due to budget restraints, and a lack of knowledge. I am looking to do a three-way obviously with a crossover. I am not sure what are good speakers, or tweeters in the 50/speaker price range, plus the money for a crossover. I want to buy from PE because I have there catalog and can see what I am getting. My total budget for everything minus the wood and materials is about 100-125.00 and I am looking for some good center channel reading if you want to post up a few links as well. Thanks a lot guys and please let me know if I left anything out.
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

-Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Landroval
      • Dec 2005

With that kind of budget a 3-way is close to impossible. You'll get a much better result from a 2-way.

Comment

• robfive
        • Dec 2005

$125 is low for a good 3-way. Most of the projects around here are start at 125 for a single 2-way. There is always some flexability but if you want to keep close to your target costs a 2-way may suit you better. What speakers are you running for you front left and right channels and what type of sub did you build?

Comment

• servicetech
          • Sep 2007

Tall order

If you really want to try a 3-way on a $125 budget you could try a build based on the Hi-Vi TM1A and use a couple of Buyout woofers from PE. If you kept the crossover simple you could come in under $125.

Another alternative would be use a TB full range for mids, Dayton Neodome tweeter, and a pair of the buyout woofers.

As others have said it's tough to do a 3-way for $125. Good 3-ways are tough to design as I'm finding out with my "rebuild project".

Comment

• Villainstone
            • Mar 2008

Well guys I wish I had more but anything more and I am stretching it. Here is the thing though... they need to be able to be powered by a Yamaha RXV661 90w/ch RMS. Also I would like it to pair up nice with my Polk Audio Monitor 50 fronts, and my Dayton Subwoofer. I really am not expecting to be blown away or anything for 125.00 but something nice will be sufficient. Honestly how important is it to have a tweeter on your center? If I am able to cut cost by excluding the tweeter then naturally I would do it.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by servicetech
              If you really want to try a 3-way on a $125 budget you could try a build based on the Hi-Vi TM1A and use a couple of Buyout woofers from PE. If you kept the crossover simple you could come in under $125.
              As Dennis H explained earlier this isn't a "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" kind of forum. Recommendations posted here need to be based on proven designs not speculation...

Originally posted by Villainstore
              Honestly how important is it to have a tweeter on your center? If I am able to cut cost by excluding the tweeter then naturally I would do it.
              How important is the engine to the operation of your car?

If you can't afford the tweeter you can't afford a center channel.

FYI, a properly designed 3-way is twice as expensive as a 2-way...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Villainstone
                • Mar 2008

Alright alright then two way it is lol. Seriously though I am just looking to build my own center channel. Anything is better than the nothing I am using right now. I was looking around and I seen that I could pick up a two Dayton RS150S8 for 28.00 so I can get two of them. Then I will need a tweeter and a crossover right... or am I just way wrong. I have seen 2-way, and 3-way crossovers for around 50.00. So I am at about 110.00 and still need a tweeter lets say I can stretch about 150.00 what do you suppose is a "decent" design.

If I am to succeed at building speakers of any kind I am gonna need a lot of help fellas. I am a modest guy and was never concerned about asking to many questions. I was told growing up that there is no dumb questions only dumb answers and I'm sure we have all heard some dumb answers. I have been impressed with myself as far as building my subwoofer enclosure. Now I think I can move on to something a bit more challenging. The thing is that I will need someone or many people to help me along the way. The good thing about me is I pay attention and learn very fast, so every bit of advice helps. If there are any good links that I should be directed to, please post em up. I know that I could Google the info myself, but then again how do I know how reliable the info is. I have already gotten some great help on my sub enclosure, and I am trying to do the same here.

I am more than eager to learn this DIY stuff and think I will have a blast as I go on. Do me a favor fellas and help a guy out. If you know of a good book I should read then tell me, if you know a good magazine then tell me. If my driver selection is crap tell me, and why. I am thankful that I found this place and after looking around I seen great potential here and in myself. This is gonna be fun and educational, not to mention doesn't anyone want to see another build underway?

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Unless you have some experience and measuring equipment which will exceed 150 bucks alone you should stick to some of the designs that were shown to you here. Otherwise your going to get subpar performance.

Comment

• Villainstone
                    • Mar 2008

I'm all about doing this design

I have priced the two drivers at about 30 a piece, and the tweeter about 50, I'm not sure about the crossover though. The speaker in that link is exactly what I had in mind, and my 125 budget was just a base number. Is it possible to use that first design with a different tweeter or should I just that same tweeter. The only reason I ask is because I noticed it is 4-ohms, I do not believe that my center channel can run at 4-ohms load (Yamaha RX-V661) I will check the book.

Ok so lets say that I do with the same design in that link, will I need to solder and wire my own crossover. I would rather buy one if I could, but if it needs to be that then I will need to brake out my soldering pen.

My other concern was powering this center. Do you guys suppose that a 90w RMS channel can power that with out a problem?

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well the tweeter doesn't really determine the speaker load. Also your receiver will probably be alright. And no you can't just swap out tweeters. 90w should be more then enough.

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Villainstone
                        Anything is better than the nothing I am using right now. ?
                        I disagree.

A crappy center channel will ruin it. I'd rather use a phantom center than a crappy one. Many people prefer phantom centers to good centers.

CJD's RS150 Center will run you about $200 - $250 for the parts + wood, etc.
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Gir
                          • Dec 2006

I do not believe that my center channel can run at 4-ohms load (Yamaha RX-V661) I will check the book.
                          I have the same model and it drives low impedances just fine. Go with the RS28AS version, it'll be a little cheaper (lower value inductors and such) and you can get everything at PE. Using electrolytic capacitors will also save you some cash. Just don't expect your speakers to last 20 years with those.

BTW, sorry for the uninformative post earlier, I was in a bit of a rush and just thought I'd drop a link.
                          -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Landroval
                            • Dec 2005

A very important question here is what are your mains? If you have DIY mains, you should just do a third for the center channel. If no, and you plan to do DIY mains later on, you should pick your center so that you can later do matching mains for it.

If neither of those options is possible, doing nothing is probably the best option. Although from my own experience a coaxial center can usually match different mains quite well, so the "Seas Loki" kit with a ready crossover might be an option for you:

Comment

• Gir
                              • Dec 2006

The RS28A is used in a lot of designs and can be matched up pretty easily.
                              -Tyler

Comment

• servicetech
                                • Sep 2007

A proven design is the way to go if you don't want to spend hours experimenting with what works and what doesn't. Going with a proven design saves a lot of work, you know it's good to go.

Ditto the advice on matching the mains with the center. Even if you get a flat frequency response on both you could have phase and timbre issues.

Most 8 ohm amps will run a 4 ohm speaker, just not at high power. Heat buildup from excessive current draw is what kills amps. Do you know if your amp uses IC's or Discrete outputs for the final stage? You can peek in the top of the amp and look what is mounted to the big heatsink if you don't know. Discrete transistors (3 leg devices) handle low impedance loads well, IC's (5 pins+) not so much.

You will need to solder your own crossover for a successful build, I've tried using stock crossovers and the don't even work well for my low budget projects. Don't let soldering intimidate you, it's not hard. Try practicing on a few pieces of scrap wire before doing the crossover.

I would avoid electrolytic caps in the tweeter section, spend a few extra $$$ Dayton poly caps. Electrolytic caps will may a very audible difference in the tweeter section.

Comment

• Curt C
                                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Villainstone
                                  I'm all about doing this design
                                  If you need a more cost effective center channel, you might consider the TriTrix. While this is a high value design, it has been well received by those who have built it.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

The RS drivers in Chris's design have better motors, and I respect Chris's abilities in crossover design. If you can afford his RS design I would build it over the TriTrix.

-Having said that, I suspect if you build the TriTrix, you will find it a worthy competitor.

C
                                  Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Curt C
                                    -Having said that, I suspect if you build the TriTrix, you will find it a worthy competitor.
                                    Correct and that's why this thread was just created...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                      Correct and that's why this thread was just created...
                                      http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...355#post392355
                                      :T

Curt's designs deserve more attention around here. I'm just not as familiar as I am with them as the ones here or zaphs, so they never are on the tip of my tongue. But, they should be.
                                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Villainstone
                                        • Mar 2008

So I guess that I will follow the TriTrix design, After looking at the links posted and reading through some other post I see that they are just what I am looking for. Thanks a lot fellas I will post up as I start this new build.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"