X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

degaussing coil

My little fella buggered my old 20" tv...
    It has some neat colours now - it needs deguassing at the least.

Does anyone know how much of what gauge wire I'd need and how many turns for say a 10" diameter coil to use for degausing my tv?

I have a variac (variable output autotransformer) I can use to kep my tota;l current down - but I no clue how to wind a coil such as this.
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

1st try turning the set on and off at 15 minute intervals. The sets internal degausser may do the job after 5 tries or so.
    If you don't already have the wire on hand the cost of the wire to build a deguasser would exceed what you could buy used 20" TV for. If you have some wire on hand wind up about 100' of it and use that for your deguasser. Thinner gauges limit current better. In a pinch you can use speaker wire or an old extension cord.
    The autotransformer may have enough stray magnetic field to degauss the set, it's worth a try. Bulk tape erasers or anything with an A/C coil could work.

What happened to the TV? Did a speaker get too close or did it fall?

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

I have all kinds of wire on hand, including 60 pound spools of #12.

My variac is an iron core type, so I wouldn't thnik the field would be present in suficient quantities.

My little fella was watching the "cool colours" that a powerfull neo magnet could do to the screen....

I'll take a large spool of wire home this weekend and see what I can do.

Comment

• servicetech
        • Sep 2007

You probably can just use a spool as-is by connecting one end of the wire to each side of the variac. A 20" TV shouldn't need much to get it straightened out. The 36"-40" sets can be real fun to degauss...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"