X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emprov
    • Oct 2007

Zaph's BAMTM

Looks like I'll be building this one soon and I have a question for the design gods. He gives three different sizes of sealed cabinets, 1.0 cu ft, 1.5 cu ft and 2.0 cu ft. Realistically, what would be the sonic differences between these? It's my understanding that larger cabs allow for deeper low end with a loss in efficiency with smaller boxes being more midrangy and efficient -- speaking in very broad terms of course but that about reaches the limit of my knowledge. Since I'm interested in more sonic detail and I really want to stay away from sub-like low end, I'd love to have a better understanding of what the differences would be and any input that you guys could give would be totally appreciated.
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

You may want to do a search for the BAMTM there is a couple of guys here you could PM and ask.
    I really want to stay away from sub-like low end
    Are you going to use a sub? If so you may want to go sealed in the 1 cu.ft. since you won't need the extension of the larger cabinets. They will likely sound and perform better with less distortion.

Straight from Zaph's site:
    While extension is pretty good for both sealed and vented options, the trade off is low power handling. In both cases, not much more than 20 watts is going to cause overload in the low bass region at certain frequencies.
    If you're running a subwoofer with an active crossover, those limitations disappear and you can dump a lot more power into them.

Comment

• Xander
      • Dec 2007

Slightly off topic but if you use a sub you should be aware that speaker level outputs of plate amps most often do not high pass to the speakers. The inputs and outputs of speaker level (and line level for that matter) are usually just in parallel. I'm not saying that's always the case, but most often is in my experience. If you use a receiver with a crossover you're fine.

Comment

• Emprov
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
        You may want to do a search for the BAMTM there is a couple of guys here you could PM and ask.

Are you going to use a sub? If so you may want to go sealed in the 1 cu.ft. since you won't need the extension of the larger cabinets. They will likely sound and perform better with less distortion.
        Thanks, good idea, I'll have to fire a few PM off. And no sub. These are going in a room that's right next to my girl's bedroom, i.e. where they'll be sleeping when the speakers will typically be used. The main thing that I'm going for is detail, I guess I'm looking for more of a monitor'ish clarity.

Heading down to the lumber store to pick up a 2 x 2 piece of 1/2" MDF for the baffle now. :T

Comment

• Emprov
          • Oct 2007

Ok, BAMTM's are done...for now and they sound pretty darn good! They totally provide the lower end detail that I was look for. I built them sealed with about 1.1 cu ft boxes and the bass is more than enough for the small room in which they reside. The thing that I didn't count on though is the amount of punch that they have -- it eats through the walls pretty good so I need to be extra careful when I use them with the kiddos sleeping in the next room. All in all, I'm pretty darn happy with them, even though they're still in their rough MDF with screws showing state. I'm going to have a hard time taking them out of commission for the finish work.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Emprov
            I'm going to have a hard time taking them out of commission for the finish work.
            That's always a problem... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dawg1161
              • May 2006

Any Pics? Sounds like you did a fine job............

Comment

• Emprov
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by dawg1161
                Any Pics? Sounds like you did a fine job............
                Uhmmmm no. I'm kind of a perfectionist and they look like total crap at this point. I bought a circle jig and the center pin didn't hold all that well when I was doing cut for the surface mounted tweeter on the baffle. I was holding the router while turning the wood and the wood felt like it wasn't exactly going in a circle. Stopped cutting and found that there was a wandering 1/8" deep line all over the darn thing. D'oh! I also cut the wrong sized circle through half of both baffles for the tweeters. They mounted ok but, let's just say that I need to make a few more baffles.

Heck maybe I'll take a pick later on tonight and put it up as a lesson on how once should always get to know a new tool before they use it in a live ammo type situation. :B

Comment

• dawg1161
                  • May 2006

Been there done that...................They will turn out fine.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"