X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamuel
    • Oct 2007

1" roundover

Could someone please show me a bit on this website:

Trend are the leading brand of Routers, Cutters, Jigs & Accessories, Power Tool Accessories, Safety/PPE, Tool Storage, Abrasives & CNC Machines sold through a network of stockists in the United Kingdom, Ireland, USA & Canada. Our products are also available online form e-commerce partners in Europe, New Zealand, Australia and many more worldwide

or this one:

Infinity Tools is a worldwide distributor of high quality router bits and other wood cutting tools for the professional as well as the weekend woodworker.

....that will give me a 1" roundover?! I know this seems like a stupid question but I am very confused!!! I'll be using my Dad's Trend t4 router which has 1/4" shank. Thanks!

Sam.
  • mpotoka
    • Sep 2007

You probably won't be able to get a 1" roundover without a 1/2" shank

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Nobody (I think) makes a roundover bit bigger than 1/2" with a 1/4" shank. You need a beefy router with a 1/2" collet to do a 1" roundover. The bit will be 2 1/2" in diameter and very heavy. A 1/4" shank would most likely break, sending a big chunk of 20,000 RPM steel flying your direction... definitely hazardous to your health.

Comment

• megamuel
        • Oct 2007

Ahh I see, I didn't realise... Thats the nice big roundover out of the question then!

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by megamuel
          Ahh I see, I didn't realise... Thats the nice big roundover out of the question then!
          They are available up to 1.5"... pricey, and need that 1/2" collet, of course.
          Probably need over 2hp, and with any large bit, need to have speed control to slow down the router to a safe speed. You DON'T want to run something like that at 24,000 rpm! Even my 3/4" roundover is reccomended to be run down around 12,000-14,000.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Even the cheapest routers over here come with 1/2" collets these days. Maybe it is time to upgrade your router?
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

my P.O.S. Skill router with the "auto eccentric hole option" has a 1/2 inch collet with a 1/4" collet insert

Comment

• megamuel
                • Oct 2007

My Dad only just bought it, just reading up on it now and it says its a light duty router so that would explain it. I don't have a clue about routers (obviously)! I'll have to see if I can borrow one! Thanks for the quick answers guys

Comment

• BobEllis
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Why mess with puny 1" roundovers? Check out these ready made 2" to 4" quarter rounds http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.As...arter%20Rounds

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Bob makes a good point. You can leave a notch in the corner, then fill it with quarter round.
                    - Ryan

Comment

• relder
                      • Jul 2005

A 1/2" collet isn't a guarantee you can swing a bit that big either. My dewalt plunge can't (I learn after I buy the bit) the diameter of hole in the base isn't that big. So measure before you buy.

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Ahhhh, the hole in the plastic baseplate isn't a limiting factor. Remove the baseplate and make a new larger baseplate out of MDF or lexan. I had to do this also with my Hitachi. It worked well. I made my new baseplate about 12" long and put a handle on to make it easier to work with and more stable on the work piece. It was ugly, but took about ten minutes to put together.
                        - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Photos of my baseplate, and ironicly a 1" bit.

Last edited by ---k---; 25 March 2008, 19:13 Tuesday.
                          - Ryan

Comment

• relder
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                            Ahhhh, the hole in the plastic baseplate isn't a limiting factor. Remove the baseplate and make a new larger baseplate out of MDF or lexan.
                            It is if it's aluminum and integral to the router. See picture: Amazon link

YMMV

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2001

I love my DW621 (now that my uncle referbished it for me) but yeah, you aren't going to get a big bit like that in there. That's why I have a Porter Cable router that sits in the router table!

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I have a Hitachi MKV12 (I think this is the model) and it does 1/4" and 1/2" Shank...it's a beast

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2001

Oh, mine has both 1/4" and 1/2" collets, it's just that a bit with that kind of diameter isn't going to fit in this particular DeWalt. It will easily fit in the DW618 that I have or the Porter Cable.

Comment

• JoshK
                                    • Mar 2005

I have a 1.25" roundover bit. Its huge. Its intimidating, its a beast. I plan to use it with my table saw router table insert. I don't want to hand hold the router when using this bit. Something else to consider.

Comment

• ---k---
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2005

yeah, ymmv with different routers.

Josh, you sissy! I did a 1 1/4" roundover with a hand-held. I swore afterwards I would never do it again, but I did it. :P
                                      - Ryan

Comment

• BobEllis
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2005

There's a reason that "smaller" e.g 2 HP routers have smaller holes in the baseplate. That 3" diameter 1.25" roundover bit is spinning a bunch of mass and a smaller router has smaller bearings and internal shaft. I got a lot of vibration and a rough cut with a 2HP Bosch router (very good within its limits) that I slowed down with my variac. I thought it was the cheap bit until I put it in my Hitachi MV12.

The Hitachi MV12 will swing a 3.25-3.5" bit with a standard baseplate. Yep, Dougie, it is a beast and I love it!

BTW, I always keep the cabinet between me and a big bit. It probably wouldn't stop it if it comes apart, but at least it will slow it down a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"