FOCAL TD120Tdx2 inverted dome tweeter HELP!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elves1111
    • Mar 2008

FOCAL TD120Tdx2 inverted dome tweeter HELP!!

Hello, I have a three-way loudspeaker that my friend made and gave to me. It has a pair of NHT 1259's, a pair of Focal 8V413's, and a pair of Focal TC120Tdx2's. Now my problem is that one of the Tc120's has no sound coming out of it. I have found somewhere that has replacement diaphragms, but I don't know if that is the problem. I asked them, but still haven't recieved a response. Also, I've heard that the TC120Tdx2's aren't being made anymore, and the replacement TC120Tdx5's aren't as good. I will try to borrow my friends camera to take a picture of my enclosure, as i don't know what kind it is. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I also don't know what kind of crossover he built. It has an iron core inductor, two Non-Inductive Resistors, and i think a 14AWG inductor, based on what i have found online and compared it to. I'm thinking its a pretty basic passive three-way crossover, but not sure. My friend is no where around, or i would just ask him, since he has been building speakers for half his life!! Is there anyone who knows of another drop-in tweeter that sounds as good as the TD120's? thanks.... i will try to get those pics up today!
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

You can always remove the tweeter and check it with an ohmmeter.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

For all intents and purposes the TC120TD5 and the TC120DX2 are the same drivers. All Focal did was change the published T/S parameters once they realized the original specs were overly conservative.

There's no way to diagnose the problem based in the minimal information you've posted.

Do measure the resistance of the tweeter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

You might get really lucky and find that one of the tweeter leads has become disconnected. Pull it out and take a look.

I have TC120TD5s in my system, and they sound great, crossed at 1500 Hz. They have taken a lot of abuse in my absence without showing signs of strain. Zalytron has them, if it does come down to a replacement.

Comment

• elves1111
          • Mar 2008

I did take it apart and check to make sure it was all connected. I also gave it to a friend of mine that works on amps at his work, and he ran some sort of tester thru it, and all he told me was that it was dead. He is an eccentric 60 year old man, and it is hard to talk technical with him. Most times, he seems to lose the point of whatever question i asked him. So i didn't get a very detailed answer. Any other tweeters that could replace the TD120's? Like I said, i will probably have my friends camera tomorrow, and I'll post a pic of the enclosures, if that will help. thanks in advance! :T

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Don't need any pictures. Buy a replacement tweeter from Zalytron and your problems are solved. I know of no drop in replacements for a TC120TD5.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"