X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tktran
    • Jan 2005

Great active websites to check out

I've been knee-deep in DIY Audio since 2002. As I approach my 29 years of age, the D-I-Y part has been getting a little quiet for me, to increasing study and work committments.

But I'm still an addict at heart, and as part my of daily routine, I check email, the HTGuide & PE forums, John Krutke's blog for driver test updates, and occasionally the DIY Audio forum. Periodically I check Troels Gravesen's website, sometimes Tony Gee's, and every month or two I drop by John Kreskovsky's to check the status of the ICTA, or Mark K's site for updates, but both have been slow over the past year.

But certainly the days when I frequented Madisound forums are gone, and websites like Siegfried Linkwitz' have largely gone into maintenance mode.

So things were looking very dull, until I recently found this website- which I thought was great little read. These articles really brought a smile to my face:

I hope other people check it out too. It reminds me of another website that I stumbled across but never found again, years ago, something called The ______ Kitchen?

A rest of the website is part science, part art, but mostly light hearted.

I wonder if anyone else would like to share some websites that they enjoy frequently visiting?
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

tubecad.com but that is because I like putzing around with tube electronics.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Josh have you built one of their Aikido's?

Comment

• Nemophyle
        • Jul 2006

different kinds of audiophiles in italian english is very very fun

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

not exactly DIY audio, but a couple of fun sites I look at daily:

Coding4fun, MSDN coding blog - lots of neat software projects if you're a developer. sometimes combine with hardware as well.

Hack A Day - Mostly electronics/hardware DIY stuff. some of the submissions I see on this site just amaze me

(they actually have a headphone amp project on their front page right now)
          -Chuck

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

AAAGH! The "types of audiophiles" made me want to get out my red pen and start proofreading. Not that it wasn't clever, but it desperately needs some copy editing.

By the way, hackaday.com is what got me into the DIY speaker scene. A guy did a project with the Dayton III, and after reading it, I finally felt like I was ready to build my own speakers. Wasn't even that long ago, and now I'm so entrenched in it all!
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• JoshK
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
              Josh have you built one of their Aikido's?
              I've stuffed 4 boards but I haven't played any of them yet as I haven't finished the chassis for them. ops: I am really getting tired of waiting for my wood shop to be unburied. I have half a mind to hook them up sitting on a piece of plywood so I can hear it.

Comment

• Gir
                • Dec 2006

I have half a mind to hook them up sitting on a piece of plywood so I can hear it.
                The fact that you haven't done that already amazes me. Duct tape 'em down and let 'er rip!
                -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• taloyd
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by tktran
                  I hope other people check it out too. It reminds me of another website that I stumbled across but never found again, years ago, something called The ______ Kitchen?

A rest of the website is part science, part art, but mostly light hearted.

Website you're thinking of is indeed fabulous, now called Lampizator as he's become fond of vacuum tubes... here's the address:

Definitely lots of good information there!

-Tal Allweil

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

AAAGH! The "types of audiophiles" made me want to get out my red pen and start proofreading. Not that it wasn't clever, but it desperately needs some copy editing.
                    Well, his English is a hell of a lot better than my Lithuanian.

Comment

• Geoff Gunnell
                      • Nov 2006

Thanks for the link . . . fascinating site! I've just barely skimmed the surface, but what a coincidence, he started with B139's as I did . .

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"